Irrational Exuberance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Irrational Exuberance

Halbert

Practice Squad
Reaction score
All week long Buffalo area fans have been making public predictions of the score of Sunday night’s game. I'd say about half of them are predicting a Bills blowout - by at least two touchdowns. On bulletin boards and on the radio I’ve probably heard or seen 1,000 predictions and exactly two of them have predicted a Miami win.

I’m responsible for 50% of them.

The Bills look very good, almost impossibly strong, in shellacking their first two opponents.. Sure, we made major upgrades and it’s likely the team is for real. But this is the NFL after all where the difference in talent is less of a factor than the intensity of the players.

I remember a game in 1984 when the Cowboys came in town at 7-4 to face a 0-11 Bills team. It was my birfday and I had 5 of my drunken friends in the stands with me helping celebrate a game against my second most hated opponent. All week long all you heard from the Cowboys was complete disrespect for the Bills, how they were going to go up North to relax and take care of business before starting on a brutal 4-game stretch that included a streaking Miami team and two division opponents. The Bills took the dissing to heart and you could almost see the steam pouring out of their ear holes as they came onto the field. Those crappy Bills were launching their bodies around the field like SCUD missiles in an Arab turf war, winning their first game of the season 14-3. Frankly, the game wasn’t even that close.

Now take a Miami team that is on par talent wise and consider the reasons they might have to get especially worked up for this one:

- Embarrassed terribly in Week 1 - AT HOME, no less
- Beaten soundly by the Bills the last two games
- Understands the Week 1 debacle basically handed the Bills a full game in the standings
- Sees Mr. Franchise jump off the bandwagon on a national pre-game show
- Realizes a loss puts the Bills 2.5 games up with only 3 played
- A loss already makes the late December rematch at the Ralph a must-win
- Nationally televised home game against arch rival (ie. chance at redemption)

The Bills have shown they can generate intensity and should play tough but there’s simply no way they can match the desperation level of the Dolphins - who despite their season opener disaster are still a strong division contender. The Fish need the game a helluva lot more than the Bills, which usually is the difference in spots like this. You can be sure there were plenty of sleepy aqua eyes reviewing film at 11 PM this entire week. There won’t be an ounce of orange effort left by the time 11:30 rolls around Sunday night. Even the Creamsicle jerseys wouldn’t slow them down.

Can the Bills win this game? Of course. But in situations like this were you have two closely matched teams, I’ll always take the one who needs it more. That clearly is the Fish, which is why I see a Miami pulling out a hard fought victory, 24-20.

My GOD I hope I’m wrong, but just in case keep my seat warm because if I’m right I might suddenly find a steady dit of “unable to load page†at my favorite bulletin boards …

Originally posted by Halbert
All week long Buffalo area fans have been making public predictions of the score of Sunday night’s game. I'd say about half of them are predicting a Bills blowout - by at least two touchdowns. On bulletin boards and on the radio I’ve probably heard or seen 1,000 predictions and exactly two of them have predicted a Miami win.

I’m responsible for 50% of them.

The Bills look very good, almost impossibly strong, in shellacking their first two opponents.. Sure, we made major upgrades and it’s likely the team is for real. But this is the NFL after all where the difference in talent is less of a factor than the intensity of the players.

I remember a game in 1984 when the Cowboys came in town at 7-4 to face a 0-11 Bills team. It was my birfday and I had 5 of my drunken friends in the stands with me helping celebrate a game against my second most hated opponent. All week long all you heard from the Cowboys was complete disrespect for the Bills, how they were going to go up North to relax and take care of business before starting on a brutal 4-game stretch that included a streaking Miami team and two division opponents. The Bills took the dissing to heart and you could almost see the steam pouring out of their ear holes as they came onto the field. Those crappy Bills were launching their bodies around the field like SCUD missiles in an Arab turf war, winning their first game of the season 14-3. Frankly, the game wasn’t even that close.

Now take a Miami team that is on par talent wise and consider the reasons they might have to get especially worked up for this one:

- Embarrassed terribly in Week 1 - AT HOME, no less
- Beaten soundly by the Bills the last two games
- Understands the Week 1 debacle basically handed the Bills a full game in the standings
- Sees Mr. Franchise jump off the bandwagon on a national pre-game show
- Realizes a loss puts the Bills 2.5 games up with only 3 played
- A loss already makes the late December rematch at the Ralph a must-win
- Nationally televised home game against arch rival (ie. chance at redemption)

The Bills have shown they can generate intensity and should play tough but there’s simply no way they can match the desperation level of the Dolphins - who despite their season opener disaster are still a strong division contender. The Fish need the game a helluva lot more than the Bills, which usually is the difference in spots like this. You can be sure there were plenty of sleepy aqua eyes reviewing film at 11 PM this entire week. There won’t be an ounce of orange effort left by the time 11:30 rolls around Sunday night. Even the Creamsicle jerseys wouldn’t slow them down.

Can the Bills win this game? Of course. But in situations like this were you have two closely matched teams, I’ll always take the one who needs it more. That clearly is the Fish, which is why I see a Miami pulling out a hard fought victory, 24-20.

My GOD I hope I’m wrong, but just in case keep my seat warm because if I’m right I might suddenly find a steady diet of “unable to load page†at my favorite bulletin boards …

Wow, that was a great post Hal, and not just because you picked the Dolphins to win but, you laid it out as plain as day. Those are the exact reasons why this game is going to be alot tougher than some bills fans think it will be.

Unable to load page ...

Unable to load page ...

Unable to load page ...

Excellent post Hal. I have to say I have lots of respect for someone like you who can see through all the garbage and look at good reasons why a game should go one way or another. I know I'm can be very blinded by the passion I have for my Fins. I think this game is so close I'll be holding my breath the whole time. The Bills do look awesome, but I also know that know one knows a team like one of its division rivals.

Too close to predict. Good luck.

Originally posted by Hellion

Uh oh Hal, what were you thinking? :lol:

Message sent to Hal

clear.gif

:lol:

Originally posted by Halbert

My GOD I hope I’m wrong, but just in case keep my seat warm because if I’m right I might suddenly find a steady diet of “unable to load page†at my favorite bulletin boards … [/B]

That's a reasonable take Halbert. But I would say that as important as intensity is, the team that plays more relaxed is often in the better position. Look at many of the Super Bowls. Often as not, the team that prepares the best isn't the winner. Lots of times the team that goes down, has a good time and enjoys themselves plays better on Sunday, if they have great confidence in themselves. The reason I like the Bills on Sunday is they're playing well, they know they're playing well, and I expect them to play fairly relaxed even in a hostile environment. The Fins know they have some question marks, so I expect them to play very hard but maybe a bit tight?

Bills 31-20.

This game will be far from easy for either team. I've said that all along. Yes I talk smack but so do Phin fans, its all part of the game. This game will be close the whole way. Bills Win.

Bills 24
Phins 20

Re: Re: Irrational Exuberance

Originally posted by finsrclowns

That's a reasonable take Halbert. But I would say that as important as intensity is, the team that plays more relaxed is often in the better position. Look at many of the Super Bowls. Often as not, the team that prepares the best isn't the winner. Lots of times the team that goes down, has a good time and enjoys themselves plays better on Sunday, if they have great confidence in themselves. The reason I like the Bills on Sunday is they're playing well, they know they're playing well, and I expect them to play fairly relaxed even in a hostile environment. The Fins know they have some question marks, so I expect them to play very hard but maybe a bit tight?

Bills 31-20.

You may be right, the Dolphins have been known to squeeze those cheeks so tight that they squeak when they walk, but, somehow I've always been able to sense when they were going to do something like that. The feeling I'm getting this week is that they are extremely focused, no one is really talking sh*t....It's been a business like approach.....I think they are going to be on their game Sunday night....and like I said, you may be right, but I just wanted to give you the perspective of a fan who has almost 30 years of "getting a feel" for what's going on with this team.

It's going to be a great game no matter what. I don't expect either team to dominate...well, Miami might. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Irrational Exuberance

Originally posted by inFINSible

The feeling I'm getting this week is that they are extremely focused, no one is really talking sh*t....It's been a business like approach... ;)

Ahh...is that what you call Spittlegate??:D

Back
Top Bottom