Is Bua being wasted? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Bua being wasted?

i think too many people are taking bua for what he isnt and are expecting more from him than hes worth.

I say Bua has a legit shot at someday starting at S. That is a read and react postion. IMO he has that knack of making the play. Which means he reads quicker then most to make up for his 40 speed which is not that slow compared to other S in the league like Harrison for example.

painnotpleasure said:
I personally don't see Tony Bua ever being a starter at LB or S (unless by default through injuries which is definitely something we wouldn't want to happen.) The best part of his game is he can tackle and he can hit HARD! I think he's a tremendous special teams player that I hope remains on the team for quite awhile because his presence on Special Teams is where he shines and where we need him the most. Testing him out at 2nd string/3rd string SS seems like a wild idea but Saban is extremely intelligent when it comes to switching players to a different position. It's like a sixth sense he has, so I trust his decision in what he saw in Bua to decide to move him to S. I honestly don't see Bua seeing the field much this season at all, just on special teams where he will DOMINATE... and hopefully continue making the key highlight plays.

The second Larry Izzo!

To be fair, special team guys can be some of the guys with the biggest hearts on the field. Everytime they get on the field they give it everything they've got. Because theres no telling when they'll get back on it.

South Florida said:
I was very excited about the prospect of putting some pounds on Tony Bua and letting him learn the linebacker position.

I'm not excited about him at the safety position.

He's a fast linebacker and a slow safety, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I really don't think he'll ever crack into the game at this position and he'll just live on Special Teams for his career.

Should I just trust Nick?

Is he faster than I think?

What's the logic here?

um yeah we should trust nick. if we didn't have size at LB going into this year, we'd have to rely on much of the same defensive scheme we've been running for damn near a decade. we're not doing that anymore.

Bua is too small to play linebacker for Saban's scheme. Even if he put on weight, he would be too small. Not only that, but he was a safety in college. Why does anyone think putting him in the box and having him deal with blockers is a good idea?

As for his speed... It's not great, but it isnt nearly as slow as some of you seem to think. He is faster then Sammy Knight, I can tell you that much. He ran a 4.67 according to the things I am seeing. That is not unheard of by a Strong Safety by any means. The first Strong Safety drafted in this past draft ran a 4.7.

Bua's a career special teamer, like it or not. He is too small for LB even in a 4-3, let alone the flex defense that Saban seems to want to run. And there's no changing the fact that he's slow, no matter how much we wish it weren't so.

Let's enjoy him where he is best; there's no shame in having a great career at ST, and he will have value there.

Hey, every team needs its special teams kamikaze. Remember Bill Bates (Cowboys), Steve Tasker (Bills), and, of course Larry Izzo. Occasionally, Bates played in Cowboy's backfield as, I belive, a dime back.

Whats wrong with you guys. Saban likes to play his SS around the line of scrimage. Who better to do this than Bua. Read his draft bios, he is not that slow. He is faster than Ernest Shazor who everybody on this board was creaming over. Bua has intangibles like agressiveness and is a very good tackler. At Arkansas he was their all-time leading tackler, despite a major injury and a position change. In 2-3 years he could be a star at SS for us. Nobody knows this better than Saban, who saw him play in the SEC. This is why Saban passed on drafting a safety.

I still think with shutdown corners(like we had with Sam and Pat) Tony can play S in this league,but could be a weakness if he's got to cover deep. Would be a great at playing him "up" for run stopping. JMO Btw being a top notch Special teamer isn't bad either,it got Izzo two SB rings(so far).

What is with the he doesn't have the size? He can lose 10 lbs and be perfect size for safety and increase his speed in the process. The guy is more a safety than a LB. I say he could be a legit around the line knock your head off safety that we need. Is he smart enough - that will make the difference in whether he starts or gets cut - not his size and speed IMO.

i think bua is good but like all seem to think he will probly be a st guy for life like izzo but that can be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom