Is Building The Offensive Line The Biggest Priority? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Building The Offensive Line The Biggest Priority?

I think value high in the draft is assigned to just a few positions. QB, LT, Edge & #1CB. We have three of the four. If we can keep James at a reasonable price, I can't see spending 13 on a guard. I know the Colts did it but I don't see a player like Nelson this year. I also think with better coaching they can utilize some of the talent already on roster that hasn't maximized potential. Edge is a bigger need than guard IMO, just based on value alone.

Hard to say at this point because we don't know if they will keep Sitton and Kilgore. They could go with that group in the 1st rebuilding year and add talent on the defense. Next year would be QB and OL as we part with the two mentioned above and see who is salvageable from this squad.

All the talk of Flores system and the rumors of courting Dom Capers seem like we will need more versatile defensive pieces for multiple fronts. NT, 3-4 OLB x 2, CB and someone who can rush from the interior better than Godchaux and Taylor. Hard to fill needs in one off-season but they could supplement in FA.

Drafting an edge player in round 1 and round 2 would be a good start IMO but I would be ok with NT, CB or OL in round 2 as well.

We also don't really have a #1 WR and they take time in most cases. A guy like DK Metcalf may be the type of guy that would really help a QB after a season to develop. Our receives are tiny. I just don't know if they would go that route.

Last edited:
I know the defensive line needs a lot of work. Maybe more than the offensive line, but with a new quarterback coming in either in the 2019 or 2020 draft, is building the offensive line more of an immediate concern?

The last thing you want is for your potential franchise quarterback to come into a situation where the offensive line can't protect him. We've seen that with both Luck and Tannehill.

Currently, Miami has a budding star in Tunsil at left tackle. That's a great start. I also hope the the team extends James at right tackle. If Miami lets James go, then we are talking about maybe needing three starters there.

The defensive line is admittedly more of a mess. I don't expect the team to keep Quinn meaning there isn't a quality defensive end on the roster. The tackle tandem of Godchaux and Taylor is decent, but not special.

The expectations for a draft is finding two starters each year. Maybe the team can get a little lucky and find three. Where do you put the resources?

I don't know about OL and am uncomfortable about 'biggest priority.' ASSUMING (a big assumption) Tunsil, Kilgore or Swanson, and Sitton stay (OC wasn't bad), that leaves two spots. James will depend on is price. Biggest priority on the OL is OG. Biggest priority on the TEAM? You'll get a lot of debate. OG, CB, QB are clearly 3. DT/DE are up there. I'd like a thread on '3 biggest needs.' Picking one may get little consensus.

A player I think can help the OL and QB, run game and pass game would be to draft T.J. Hockenson.

To go along with this the staff basically has to decide how much some of the issues this year was talent and how much was scheme. I can tell you that Flores and his people felt that the OL lacked very basic fundamentals

Legit point. Hard to project this from the outside looking in, but if the new staff is able to pull quality play from the existing unit, that'd be a big step.

I can tell you that Flores and his people felt that the OL lacked very basic fundamentals

Been out of the loop for a while so I'm not challenging your information, but where did you get this insight from?

I would not make offensive line a priority. Those guys are generally the weakest athletes on the team. It simply doesn't make sense to load up early at that position, given that reality. You may feel good about yourself but bottom line when you are losing ground in athletic ability compared to the remainder of the league, it is not a win.

Watch the mirror drill at the combine and you'll see how clunky the offensive linemen are, especially in comparison to the defensive linemen doing the step over drills.

There is no reason the Dolphins can't find some smart dedicated offensive linemen deeper in the draft. Just keep an eye on a few things like bench press and balance and punch and broad jump and make sure nothing is unfixably deficient. Those players develop later anyway. The Seahawks drafted a SPARQ demon in Glowinski but gave up on him. Now he's turned into a good player for the Colts.

BTW, I agree that fighting the media is one lie at a time

If offensive line is our biggest priority right now then we have serious issues.

You guys realize we aren't going to "fix" The O line or D line with just one draft, right?
So true. That's why I almost fee the offensive line is a slightly bigger immediate priority. That said, it looks like a fantastic year for defensive lineman. I'd love to see Miami follow the strength of the draft. I also don't want three holes on the offensive line when a new quarterback takes his first snaps.

With all the needs, it's going to take awhile to build this thing. Hopefully Miami hits frequently on players and the coaching staff is a legitimate upgrade.

Pulling from the Locked On Dolphin podcast but Travis said in one of his first interviews with Joe Schad he was told by the OL that the technique they were being taught changed week to week so there was never a consistent
That maybe true, but what about the last 10 years. Did they review the online at any point in those passed years.

You guys realize we aren't going to "fix" The O line or D line with just one draft, right?

If James stays, which I don’t believe he will, the OL could easily by fixed. The DL, that’s a problem, but a decent scheme will help.

I know the defensive line needs a lot of work. Maybe more than the offensive line, but with a new quarterback coming in either in the 2019 or 2020 draft, is building the offensive line more of an immediate concern?

The last thing you want is for your potential franchise quarterback to come into a situation where the offensive line can't protect him. We've seen that with both Luck and Tannehill.

Currently, Miami has a budding star in Tunsil at left tackle. That's a great start. I also hope the the team extends James at right tackle. If Miami lets James go, then we are talking about maybe needing three starters there.

The defensive line is admittedly more of a mess. I don't expect the team to keep Quinn meaning there isn't a quality defensive end on the roster. The tackle tandem of Godchaux and Taylor is decent, but not special.

The expectations for a draft is finding two starters each year. Maybe the team can get a little lucky and find three. Where do you put the resources?

There really does need to be a priority on the O-line, because as well as helping the QB stay healthy, I really think Drake is going to be an explosive force, but in order for that to also happen, the line is going to have to open some holes for him.

Drake came from Alabama with some injury red flags, and though so far, it's looking a bit premature, a horrible O-line can turn him from an unwilling to go down easy speedback, to an average RB that's always one hit, from being out each year.

I personally think Miami this coming Draft gets the best D-linemen they can get in the 1st (Whether that be on the inside or outside), then within the next 4 picks try to get a Guard, and a Center they can groom to start...At the latest, 2020, when Miami goes all in on a starting QB.

Back
Top Bottom