Is Burke next to get the axe? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Burke next to get the axe?

dolphinheel

Active Roster
Reaction score
I personally would like to see him go and find an experienced coordinator. D was very questionable this year. Thoughts?

Was it Burke’s fault, or the personnel? I don’t care if Buddy Ryan is your dc, your defense will look questionable with linebacker play like we had.
I think it was both. Lack of talent on defense and some poor scheming against opponents. He had a very good game plan against the Patriots in the 2nd game...man-to-man defense, a few blitzes to get Brady a little antsy in the pocket. But we didn't run a lot of man-to-man for some reason. He did a poor job of disguising his blitzes. He couldn't figure out how to cover a TE. Their plan was to have McDonald as a hybrid safety/linebacker to cover TEs and have Jones and Nate Allen as the Strong and Free Safeties. Nate Allen had a 155 passer rating against him, Jones had a 120 passer rating against him and McDonald had a 112 passer rating against him so that plan/scheme was a fail and would have been a fail had Allen not been hurt.

Gase seemingly took the lazy route in promoting Burke to DC -- which in our case is like double critical given the fact Gase himself has ZERO D experience and the core staff he assembled was thin to begin with. The NFL is still a coaching league and coordinators are serious difference makers. I am both perplexed by Gase's lack of coaching connections (duh Bears?) and extremely alarmed in terms of the talent pool this teams can draw from.

I like to think of it like this, we got Vance Joseph many of us said he sucked, we got Burke now he supposedly sucks too, we have to look at personnel as the main problem of this team. Nothing was wrong with Joseph and I find that Burke is competent, changing OCs will not make one iota of difference until we plug the holes plaguing this team on both side of the ball.

We can do better than Burke. I’m hoping Ross is behind the scenes demanding that Gase make some staff changes. Not impressed at all so far with the new additions but IMHO a well respected, experienced DC could be a difference maker for this team and for buy in from our veterans.

It’s cool if you want to fire a particular coach, but at least mention some potential replacements. I’m interested in who would be an upgrade. Save the “anybody!!!!” response, too.

I've got a feeling that Burke isn't going anywhere which would be the nail in the coffin for gase. he seems be making moves on the offensive side he needs to do the same on the defensive side hell the whole staff for that matter everyone needs to be evaluated.

We can do better than Burke. I’m hoping Ross is behind the scenes demanding that Gase make some staff changes. Not impressed at all so far with the new additions but IMHO a well respected, experienced DC could be a difference maker for this team and for buy in from our veterans.
Ross would never do that nor should he. Gase seems like the type that would resign if he was told to fire a member of HIS staff.

Burke has been described as a very smart guy. That he could have done anything, but chose football. Sounds like M. Patricia with a beard as well.
Seriously, he's a young guy, and he has upside. He also has passion. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes this season and corrects them. He needs to be creative. It's his first year calling the shots so it's hard to give him a pass or fail.
Another season of this being "His" defense may be good for us.

I think the defense would have been decent if McDonald played the full season and the linebacking corp was improved. I don't think the poor play at linebacker was due to coaching as much as talent ant athletic level. At times the d-line against the rush looked very good, but could use one or two extra pass rushers. Again I don't the poor pressure on qbs was all on the coaching.

Back
Top Bottom