Is Corey Linsley the big FA signing we need? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Corey Linsley the big FA signing we need?

El Canadian

Active Roster
Reaction score
Of course, I'm assuming the Packers don't resign him. I'm going to go in-depth with my reasoning so I apologize for all of the writing.

Now I understand that should he hit the open market he will likely demand to be the highest paid C in the league which I believe is currently Ryan Kelly at 12.5mil a year.

Given the salary cap drop and the amount of teams who don't really have that much money to spend, it's very possible he signs somewhere for around 12-13.5 million.
This also implies that we wouldn't be bring back Karras who would cost around 5-8million to sign.

Implications to Oline:
Assuming our rookies also take the step up (Hunt, Jackson, and Kindley) I think we would have a fairly decent Oline to protect Tua, not to mention that we don't even have that much money tied up here and it's a very important part of the team.

Implications to Draft:
We now would have a young and solid Oline that is ready to perform, meaning I don't think we'd consider using a top draft pick (1st or 2nd round, I still believe we should draft an olinemen if the opportunity arises in the draft later on). With this being said, I think we still should trade back but not to select a WR or TE (I know this is going to get me a lot of hate).

Ideally we trade back to no later than 8. Reason why:
We pick up at least a 2nd in this draft and a 1st next year (Depending on how far back we move - a lot of teams know we don't need to pick at 3 so the value we can get is all dependent on if there is a bidding war for our pick.

We take: Micah Parsons.

Why Micah Parsons?
We can pick up the best linebacker prospect in the draft which is a huge need for us. I know a lot of us want a WR and I agree with those who do because it's definitely a huge need of ours but I feel this draft has some pretty good prospects at wide receiver which can be had at 18 such as Waddle, Toney, or Bateman.

Our defence is now the best defence in the league(or at least one of) and we have everything we need to throw at Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes which is so necessary if we're going to compete with them, we need to make them as uncomfortable as possible.

3 2nd Round Picks
This will allow us to bring in even more talent. Within these 3 picks In an ideal world I'd like to go for a RB, EDGE and S. Namely; Najee Harris, Ronnie Perkins, and Richie Grant but obviously this is a point in the draft where we have no clue who will be available so pointless to name names here.

Why is our big FA signing a C?
We have the chance to make a massive signing to a position group of need, and for a price which is more than fair for the quality he brings. Especially when we look at how much it would cost to bring in an elite player who plays any other position.

So, what do you guys think? I personally believe this allows us to address our needs to the best we can. That is, Oline, LB, and WR. Remaining within our budget and putting us in win-now with potential to grow still.

I'm onboard with this too, because if we do draft say Creed Humphries, we have have Hunt & Kindley needing new contracts in three years whilst Jackson get a 5th year option and the following year you have Humphries and Jackson with their hand out for new money plus Tua of course. By signing Lindsey for 3-4 years you should get top-5 play and then can draft a replacement as the rest of the o-line gets paid.

I'm good with this. Like someone above me said...it gives our young OL a Vet Center to help them grow.

Implications to Draft:
We now would have a young and solid Oline that is ready to perform, meaning I don't think we'd consider using a top draft pick (1st or 2nd round, I still believe we should draft an olinemen if the opportunity arises in the draft later on).

Your being hypocritical here. Because the logic you’ve applied above also applies to defense.

I mean, you rule out o-line in the 1st and 2nd round on the basis that signing Linsley makes the unit ready to perform. Yet the defense is ready to perform too. They were top 2 in the league last season.

But somehow what would apply to the offensive line, which still won’t be as good as the defense as a whole, doesn’t apply defensively to you? Makes no sense.

I’m reading someone that is targeting the player they want and outlining moves they think makes sense to draft that player. You’re ignoring the elephant in the room. Offensive Playmakers. The Dolphins don’t have many, if any. Their offense is WAY behind their defense.

Linsley, if affordable, certainly helps address that issue. Parsons does not. He’d be a nice luxury to have. But unfortunately he would have to be drafted in a position where elite offensive playmaking talent is also available. Parsons is not a clear cut better prospect than Smith, Chase, Pitts, or Waddle. Therefore taking biggest need not only makes sense, it’d be very shortsighted not to go that direction.

Lastly, the perceived drop in depth of talent at LB compared to WR is meaningless to me. Elite prospects are elite prospects. They aren’t always easy to come by in the draft. I’m taking the best one I can, and at the biggest position of need if they are equal or close to it. I’m not worried about the rest of the field.

Not only that, as as been pointed out many times, LB isn’t the important position it once was. Offensive playmaking is much more valuable. And MIA’s defense on the whole is still very good despite needing upgrades at the LB position.

I'm definitely for it, if not Creed Humphry would be my target at 2A.

Your being hypocritical here. Because the logic you’ve applied above also applies to defense.

I mean, you rule out o-line in the 1st and 2nd round on the basis that signing Linsley makes the unit ready to perform. Yet the defense is ready to perform too. They were top 2 in the league last season.

But somehow what would apply to the offensive line, which still won’t be as good as the defense as a whole, doesn’t apply defensively to you? Makes no sense.

I’m reading someone that is targeting the player they want and outlining moves they think makes sense to draft that player. You’re ignoring the elephant in the room. Offensive Playmakers. The Dolphins don’t have many, if any. Their offense is WAY behind their defense.

Linsley, if affordable, certainly helps address that issue. Parsons does not. He’d be a nice luxury to have. But unfortunately he would have to be drafted in a position where elite offensive playmaking talent is also available. Parsons is not a clear cut better prospect than Smith, Chase, Pitts, or Waddle. Therefore taking biggest need not only makes sense, it’d be very shortsighted not to go that direction.

Lastly, the perceived drop in depth of talent at LB compared to WR is meaningless to me. Elite prospects are elite prospects. They aren’t always easy to come by in the draft. I’m taking the best one I can, and at the biggest position of need if they are equal or close to it. I’m not worried about the rest of the field.

Not only that, as as been pointed out many times, LB isn’t the important position it once was. Offensive playmaking is much more valuable. And MIA’s defense on the whole is still very good despite needing upgrades at the LB position.
I think we need play makers too. That's why I addressed using our 2nd 1st rounder (18) and our 1st 2nd rounder (36) on playmakers and I also think we should add another wide receiver around the 3-5th round.. It really depends on who's on the board in those latter rounds and I didn't mention in my original post because I thought it was implied we'd target offensive players later on in the draft if opportunities presented themselves.

I’d be down. Gotta work out those numbers somehow but he would make our line pretty dang good.

he will be 30 when the season starts though

I’m fine with getting an elite center to fill out the OL. Jackson, Flowers, Linsley, Kindley, Hunt would make Tua extremely happy.
Not to mention killing two birds with one stone or maybe 3 birds

Along with your statement add Sewell ( imo RT ) move Hunt to RG (better position for him) and try to trade Flowers and move Kindley to LG and Jackson LT ( or RT coaches call)....When healthy Jackson and Kindley did
p r e t t y good on that left side as a unit. And the right side without exaggeration could be another Webb, Sims.
Amazing thing is it is not far fetch to do and actually very doable.

LT Jackson LG Kindley C Linsley RG Hunt RT Sewell......... Damn

QB behind this line Tua but truthfully you and me might be able to play behind that young and talented line (lol)

I'm just excited thinking about that line ...FINALLY after 20 yrs of neglect and half azz piecing together

Back
Top Bottom