Is Dolphins Do-it-all Defender Fitzpatrick Playing Out Of Position? Mom Had This To Say | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Dolphins Do-it-all Defender Fitzpatrick Playing Out Of Position? Mom Had This To Say

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
It took more than a year, but we’ve finally identified a defensive position Minkah Fitzpatrick isn’t comfortable playing.

And who was the source of this information? His mother, Melissa, who took to Twitter to defend her son during Wednesday’s Dolphins-Buccaneers joint practice.

Responding to a critical observation made on the social media platform by a Sun-Sentinel writer, Melissa Fitzpatrick responded:

“... Maybe it’s because he is not a [strong safety] and is being used to suit other people[’s] skill set, not his own.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article233985932.html

Playing all over the place doesn’t give you an excuse to allow a Td on blatant missed tackle, the scheme and his instincts got him into a great position for a TFL, his technique and focus let him down..keep your head up and play ball..it’s just football.

Flores used his Safeties in Man coverage a lot in 2018 - both McCourty and Chung. If Fitzpatrick was playing SS in a predominantly Cover 3 D, it'd be a mistake, but it's pretty clear that Flores is going to run something similar to what he ran in NE. It's why, given the current roster, that it makes sense to move McCain to FS and Fitzpatrick to SS. Of course, both will likely spend time in the Slot. Both will also cover the Slot when they're playing Safety. Moving McCain to FS and Fitzpatrick to SS is just an attempt to field as many +cover guys as possible. I thought Miami would try to add a player like D. Savage, J. Thornhill, C. Gardner-Johnson, or M. Edwards in the Draft, because they're all guys who have Safety/Slot versatility, but most of them went higher than expected. No idea why Gardn-Johnson fell, but I would have preferred him to Dieter.

This love affair with Minkah needing to be at FS needs to stop.

What a waste of this kids true talent and skill set. Coach is setting him up to be a special playmaker in his defense.

I said it before . . . Mom wasn't even mad at Minkah being used at SS . . . Her goal was to check Omar Kelly who said he wasn't looking good and she added some context to why that may be the case.

What a waste of this kids true talent and skill set. Coach is setting him up to be a special playmaker in his defense.

I said it before . . . Mom wasn't even mad at Minkah being used at SS . . . Her goal was to check Omar Kelly who said he wasn't looking good and she added some context to why that may be the case.

On top of chiding him for ‘not wanting to be the bearer of bad news’ as she is obviously familiar with Omar’s style..

That's exactly how i read it. Seems like the kid has the ability to truly be special. IMO, He's only going to get there if he's push to maximize on his full potential and not just the stuff he's comfortable doing since college.

I think it's a valid excuse for a young player (being asked to focus on so many things), but Mom needs to handle it better, by not handling it. Unrelated matter, I wonder how Miko Grimes is doing?

the reason he keeps getting moved around is that no one in their right mind would spend the 11th overall pick on a slot corner. They screwed up by not taking Derwin James, and they need to just stop this cross training bullshit and use him the way Alabama did at the slot with a few FS looks to cover TEs. Its not his fault he was over drafted, but damn man, just play him where he is best suited to play. I've been saying this since the day he was drafted and got killed for it here. You dont pick "swiss army knives" that high in the draft. Top 15 picks should be pinnacle players at the key positions imho. And slot corner is not one of them.

the reason he keeps getting moved around is that no one in their right mind would spend the 11th overall pick on a slot corner. They screwed up by not taking Derwin James, and they need to just stop this cross training bullshit and use him the way Alabama did at the slot with a few FS looks to cover TEs. Its not his fault he was over drafted, but damn man, just play him where he is best suited to play. I've been saying this since the day he was drafted and got killed for it here. You dont pick "swiss army knives" that high in the draft. Top 15 picks should be pinnacle players at the key positions imho. And slot corner is not one of them.
He was not over drafted.

Only reason he is playing strong is because we are down three safety’s. Jones and McDonald mostly. This is temporary. Much to do about nothin. When Jones or McDonald back he will be back to a chess piece.

Back
Top Bottom