Is It Talent or Coaching!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is It Talent or Coaching!!

It all comes down to poor Quarterback play. The best coaches in the world couldn't keep Joey from making dumb mistakes or cure poor accuaracy. If we had Brees or someone else decent we would be at the top of the division easily!

you're absolutely right .. the qb is the one letting up all the points .. not blocking for the RBs .. not blocking and allowing sacks ... calling rediculous plays that should never be used in tight situations .. blowing gimme kicks that should be made ..

yeah you're right .. to hell with the qb's:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

if anything i'd have to say its a lack of team motivation and heart .. the veterans we have bust their butts and thats why people on this board constantly postabout trading them for younger talent .. because these guys have heart and want to win .. the rest play because its their job .. talent is there as soon as certain players tap into it .. and its not all coaching .. its a combo of the two

trust me .. being from syracuse NY and having to back the orangemen i've learned that it may take some time for a new coach to overhaul a team and get going in the right direction as they;re in the same boat .. every one is on the fire the new coach boat .. but its going to take time to make sense of the garbage you've inherited .. be patient and stop making posts because you listened to all the HYPE coming into the season .. it may take time

I think winning comes down to three things: talent, coaching, and leadership among the players. Right now we have no talent or leadership on offense, talent without consistent leadership on defense, and because we have no consistent leadership anywhere, the coaching, even though it's probably good in terms of its "physical message," can't "get through" to the players. Its "emotional message" I'm not too sure about, however.

This team lacks talent, it's the price we have to pay for having terrible drafts six of the last 8yrs. The jury is still out on this years draft class.

I can't believe we're having these threads after not even two full seasons with Saban as our head coach.

Give it a flipping rest, people.

I agree with you, it takes time to develop a successful franchise, Saban needs more time to develop a good product on the field.

If it's talent, then please explain to me how the Pats have won 3 superbowls in 6 years. They pick up old guys that have lost a step in free agency and they suddenly perform like they did 5 years ago. They continually let young, talented receivers go and once they are gone, they are never heard of again.

If you want to win multiple superbowls the only position that you need to have a lot of talent and intelligence at is QB. Other than that, you can coach the "team" well enough to get you to a superbowl. Bellichick has proved that without question.

Can you say talent and good coaching.

I would say it's a little of both. For us to say that Saban hasn't made any mistakes would be absolutely false. The fact of the matter is, he's in a transition mode and most new coaches go through it. One has to really examine his third season and then make an evaluation. Lack of talent also plays apart. Let's just hope it can come together next year.

Merry Christmas!!

Nice thread/post and averyone seem to have good feedback...

I myself think that a position/s where we do lack considearble talent is at the OL...

my points...

Mcintosh...how many teams wanted him???

Shelton...same question as above...

James...he was past his prime when Dave brought him in a few years ago, and he really looked awfull in 2004, like that rest of that line looked. He still has not been impressive as he once was, years ago...

Hadnot...yes he played center last year in college, but he seems to be pushed around alot by opposing takckles...I mean if he is decent, with the other guys around him, he looks less than mediocre...

Anderson...Jacox...I mean which of these guys bring either run/pass support and fear to opposing DL???

Carey...now this is an up and comming talent ladden young man. He is currently the best OLmen that we have. What, almost 3 years in our team and he is still decent by comparison to other tackles...not criticizing the man, just the fact of the total talent in the line that we are lacking on...

Now some base the QB as still the weakest part of our team, and I can understand that, there are many good points given, but IMO, you give a RB holes to run through and a QB time to throw deep and you have a good Offensive team, one that can put points on the board...

Want some proof, look at the 2002 team with Jay Fiedler (yes Jay), we had Ricky (yes the best RB we had in a while), but this team ranked #3rd in Rushing Yards per Attempt. They also were ranked in the Middle of the Pack, in Passing Yards per Attempt (Jay was 6.9 YPA). Oh and we scored over 27 points per game with Jay as the starter...

I know you all think that Ricky was the only thing that could have made it happen, that is a good possibility but it all starts "down in the trenches"...

How many times have you seen Ronnie hit in the backfield over the last 2 years? Or, how many nice running lanes have you seen opened for him?...

How many times over the last few years have you seen our starting QBs have great time to throw deep passes? I know I have seen a few, but I can count them with my fingers, not a good thing....

A good to great OL can make an average QB look good (not that we need to keep average QBs)...

When was the last time you saw a game dominat OL from the Dolphins???

Isn't it about time we give our Dominant DL another little brother?

Until then, we can have the best QB/RB combination in the NFL, but they would still be hindered in their abilities due to the talent directly affecting their perfromance...

The difference between us and the Jets is Schottenheimer versus Mularkey. They have an offensive coordinator that devises optimum game plans for the talent he has to work with. We dont. With the Bills I really think the emergence of Lee Evans is the difference. We dont have a game breaking receiver. The differences between the three teams are small and going into next season one could say we're all basically tied in talent level. We'll see who has the best offseason

Nice thread/post and averyone seem to have good feedback...

I myself think that a position/s where we do lack considearble talent is at the OL...

my points...

James...he was past his prime when Dave brought him in a few years ago, and he really looked awfull in 2004, like that rest of that line looked. He still has not been impressive as he once was, years ago...

Hadnot...yes he played center last year in college, but he seems to be pushed around alot by opposing takckles...I mean if he is decent, with the other guys around him, he looks less than mediocre...

Anderson...Jacox...I mean which of these guys bring either run/pass support and fear to opposing DL???

Carey...now this is an up and comming talent ladden young man. He is currently the best OLmen that we have. What, almost 3 years in our team and he is still decent by comparison to other tackles...not criticizing the man, just the fact of the total talent in the line that we are lacking on...

Now some base the QB as still the weakest part of our team, and I can understand that, there are many good points given, but IMO, you give a RB holes to run through and a QB time to throw deep and you have a good Offensive team, one that can put points on the board...

Want some proof, look at the 2002 team with Jay Fiedler (yes Jay), we had Ricky (yes the best RB we had in a while), but this team ranked #3rd in Rushing Yards per Attempt. They also were ranked in the Middle of the Pack, in Passing Yards per Attempt (Jay was 6.9 YPA). Oh and we scored over 27 points per game with Jay as the starter...

I know you all think that Ricky was the only thing that could have made it happen, that is a good possibility but it all starts "down in the trenches"...

How many times have you seen Ronnie hit in the backfield over the last 2 years? Or, how many nice running lanes have you seen opened for him?...

How many times over the last few years have you seen our starting QBs have great time to throw deep passes? I know I have seen a few, but I can count them with my fingers, not a good thing....

A good to great OL can make an average QB look good (not that we need to keep average QBs)...

When was the last time you saw a game dominat OL from the Dolphins???

Isn't it about time we give our Dominant DL another little brother?

Until then, we can have the best QB/RB combination in the NFL, but they would still be hindered in their abilities due to the talent directly affecting their perfromance...

Yeah I think there is little doubt that going into 2007 our biggest priority will once again be addressing the offensive line. At least we have some of the pieces in place. I think Hadnot is a good Guard that may develop into a good center but is better suited for Guard.

Yeah I think there is little doubt that going into 2007 our biggest priority will once again be addressing the offensive line. At least we have some of the pieces in place. I think Hadnot is a good Guard that may develop into a good center but is better suited for Guard.

If I remember correctly I think JJ was the only coach the really tried to address the line. At least JJ tried cant say too much for Wanny and Saban. Saban really needs to adress this crap.

We need to build from the inside-out, not outside-in. Start with the line then move our way towards the receiver than Qb.

I've been pondering this quite a bit as of late and I'm very curious to know how other finheaveners feel about this. Who do you think has the most talent between Miami, Buffalo and the Jets?? This is kind of a loaded question becuase if you choose us, I ask who has the best coaching Miami, Buffalo or the Jets?? I can't imagine that better talent + better coaching = worst record, can anyone else? I'm curious to know what other posters feel is Miami biggest issue, talent or coaching? Do us Dolphins fans overrate the talent of this team or can the current coaches just not maximize it?? Do we have good players all around but 2 or 3 bad players who's deficincies we can not overcome?

The more I've thought about this I have to say I feel Eric Mangini in New York has done a mesterful job with the Jets. Maybe many other posters disagree with me but I don't feel the Jets have much talent, but they scheme very well and maximize what they have. I say major kudos to Mangini and his staff.

As far as our Dolphins go, it's my opinion that the issues with this team are talent all the way. I know the Bills have better talent and think us and the Jets are pretty close. We easily, without arguement, have the worst QB in the division (that's a given) and I think that's hurts our WR's very much. We have a TE that is probably the most overrated by the teams fans in the entire NFL. Our O-line is average, but not as big of an issue as the QB IMHO. On defense the front 7 is the strength in this team, especially the defensive lineman.

I think our coaching is a strength and feel we need look no further than the sceondary to prove it. I feel we've seen many plays where our DB's have good position but can't play the football for their lives.

What do you guys think???

I said in the preseason that it was evident that the OL and the secondary were a problem. They are still the biggest problem but the QB has also been a source of the teams struggles. Culpepper was still limited and wasn't picking up the mental part of the game fast enough. JH has played better than in Detroit, due to coaching and supporting cast, but he still struggles and makes costly mistakes. So, the answer is all three are a problem, QB, OL and secondary. I don't think that coaching is a problem, we have a very good coaching staff, although MM is probably the weakest of the bunch, he would look a whole lot smarter with a good OL and QB.

McIntosh is mediocre. Not a great left tackle by any means, but not bottom of the league, either. I agree that we need to improve the position in the offseason (and I generally agree to your thesis that it all starts down in the trenches), but there's something to be said about McIntosh.

Horrible tackle, good guard.

Hadnot has upside. He has trouble in some games, yes, but there's a guy you need to give one or two more years. He's got all the tools you look for with a center.

None. But don't forget about Toledo. The kid's got tremendous upside. Shelton and Toledo at guard wouldn't be a bad combination by any means.

Carey...now this is an up and comming talent ladden young man. He is currently the best OLmen that we have.

I heartily agree.

Enough. I agree that the run blocking hasn't been great, but it hasn't been bad, either. Unfortunately, it is also hampered by Brown's tendancy to wait too long (a tendancy I hope he will eventually overcome) and the fact that Mularkey uses way too many toss plays for a back like Brown.

How many times over the last few years have you seen our starting QBs have great time to throw deep passes?

This year? Quite a lot, actually. Pass protection was abysmal the first three or four games, granted, but after that, it was actually quite good. In fact, I have seen a lot of teams with far more problems this year. Problem was that Harrington and Mularkey couldn't make use of the protection, either by ignoring the open receivers downfield or by not calling enough deep plays.

Back
Top Bottom