Is Lawson the Pick? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Lawson the Pick?

I think the only way we'll get Lawson is if we move down and then take him in the 20's....I don't think Nick will take him at 16 and yet he won't be there in the 2nd for us.

Ozzy rules!!

ckparrothead said:
Lawson could very well be the pick. I want to see how he shows in Indy. I am thinking that maybe we're about a year or two early for Lawson...cuz I tend to think JT will play another 3 years here...I mean Willie McGinest is still playing at a high level up in NE and it seems like the LB move extended his career.

Still a Lawson does NOT come around that often...sometimes you just don't get to decide the timing of these things perfectly.

True. It reminds me a little bit of when Tennessee drafted Kearse. Everyone knew they needed offense, but Kearse was the best player on the board. Saban will take the best player almost regardless of the position (obviously not running back).

SF Dolphin Fan said:
The more I've thought about it, I think Miami's first round pick will be one of these guys:

LEADER:
Lawson -- would seem like a perfect fit for Saban's 3-4. A difference maker who is still developing and could eventually take over for JT.

My own choice for a pick honestly. I think Cleveland might take him but he is the perfect tweener, and a JT clone

NEXT UP:
Cromartie -- have seen comparisons to Champ Bailey. A 6-3 shutdown guy. Not too many of those around.

I like the kid but he scares me because of the injuries

Youbotty (sp) --- similar to Nate Clements

He isnt worth the 16th pick more of a second round talent

McNeil -- would solve Miami's long-time LT problem. Potential franchise LT

He has back problems and a bone disease too. He is a Right tackle also and is said to not fit the LT good. Bad pick honestly.

Scott --- see McNeil

Is very very inconsistent in college one play great and one play terrible. Never played against top competition either in college and didnt look that great at the Senior bowl. I dont like him much there personally but he is a left tackle at least

TRADE DOWN A BIT OPTIONS:
Carpenter -- maybe a bit of a reach w/injuries, but would be a good fit

I think he is a good fit too but you cant trade back too far, dallas really likes this kid and NE fits great with him too. He might end up with us at 16. Shall see though.

Watson -- the kind of DT Saban needs for his defense. Will go higher than people expect.

The kid is the same build and has the same Laziness problem of Manuel Wright. We just draft this kid last year dont pick him again, develope the one we have.

I don't think Miami will have a shot at Greenway or Huff unless they trade up and I don't see the Dolphins trading up for Jay Cutler. I could see Saban trading down a bit for more picks, though.

you didnt include Ko Simpson Safety out of SC that is a big time playmaker and hitter. He would be great for us also.

Manny lawson OLB NCS
Ko Simpson S SC
Bobby Carpenter OLB Ohio State

motioncityhifi said:
Just what I read. Seems like everything I have read and heard said he is a soft waist bender with limited agility.

Could be, but all the mocks I've seen have him going first round or early second. Of course, mocks really don't mean much. Scott, though, is a player that Saban tried to recruit and I think the only real knocks on him are consistency. He actually reminds me of Richmond Webb.

Finsfan79 said:
you didnt include Ko Simpson Safety out of SC that is a big time playmaker and hitter. He would be great for us also.

Manny lawson OLB NCS
Ko Simpson S SC
Bobby Carpenter OLB Ohio State

Nice comments and analysis. I have not seen Ko Simpson play so I'm really in the dark with him. I do like Carpenter a lot and agree New England would love to have him as well. Scott is inconsistent and that's a little scary for a guy who has as much starting time as he does. But, maybe all he needs is good coaching and we all know Miami has a great one in Hudson Houch. At his best, Scott is definitely what teams are looking for.

HysterikiLL said:
Lawson and Cromartie have climbed on my board lately. Cromartie just ran a 4.29 and a 4.31 too, which is pretty damn fast for anyone, 6-3 or not!

That is scary fast. Honestly, Lawson and Cromartie are among the most exciting prospects in this draft.

If Lawson keeps seeing his stock rise he could very well be the pick. Its kind of like DeMarcus Ware last year when at first he was a 2nd, then a late 1st, then he shot up to the Cowboys and had a great rookie year.

As of right now (pre-combine) i think drafting Lawson or YOubouty is a reach at the #16 slot. Cromartie is a huge risk at #16 and I wouldnt be comfortable taking an injury risk that high as a gamble. In the 2nd rd no doubt though.

If Saban could somehow pull of getting Cromartie AND Lawson, that would make the entire draft for me. If he gets one of those two plus Luitui (sp?) the guard from USC, that could do it also. Can't wait for March 3 and April 29.

Lawson will be good value at 16. Cromartie is as good as it gets athletically in this draft. We get him, I get excited.

23Dolphins34 said:
If Saban could somehow pull of getting Cromartie AND Lawson, that would make the entire draft for me. If he gets one of those two plus Luitui (sp?) the guard from USC, that could do it also. Can't wait for March 3 and April 29.

I think that's possible if Miami trades Ricky for a high pick, say 2nd rounder from Denver. Then I could see the Dolphins moving up.

In a defensive upgrade scenario I'd rather have Manny Lawson and a FA CB, like Law or Clements than Cromartie and a FA LB, like Peterson. We need youth at the LB spot, that's if Lawson can be really used as a LB in the 3-4

I think it depends on what he does at the combine and on what Baltimore and Cleveland want to do with their drafts.

Lawson, Cromartie and Ngata are the 3 really athletically gifted 1st round prospects in this draft and I would take a stab in the dark and say that Lawson won't even last to us let alone last to 21 or lower.

244466-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom