Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line?

I think there is a bit of an exaggeration about what a third receiver generates in a top passing offense... so I looked it up.

Here it is, measured by total yards, by team in the order of their total passing yards. The Vikings led the league, so they are first:

Vikings Addison 911 (TE was second)
Dolphins Smythe 366 (TE)
Cowboys Cooks 657 (TE was second)
Lions Reynolds 608 (TE was second)
Texans Schulz 635 (TE)
Niners Samuel 892 (TE was second)
Chiefs Watson 460 (TE was first)

OK... now it is glaringly obvious isn't it. The problem isn't at WR3, because NO ONE's WR3 is a top three in yards... no one's.

Adding a better WR3 isn't the way to diversify our passing attack. Improving our TE production is... the numbers above do not lie.

And well... we've already done this.

Jonnu Smith

If he produces 600 yards or so, then... he's our 3rd receiver... and I think he will.

Phenomenal post.

Would love to add Detroit’s third WR from that list and call it day, especially since he’s a very talented and willing blocker that would be called on to do that 80-90% of the time anyway.

Probably the FA WR that we are likely to sign soon... or Ezukanma if he's healthy.

I think most teams struggle to field a WR3. The numbers above certainly support this.
Until a third receiver is on the roster, I would not rule out that one of Miami’s top two picks is a receiver.

Btw... I looked up the year 2000 stats for 'the greatest show on turf'... and the 3rd receiver was...

Marshall Faulk.

I think there is a bit of an exaggeration about what a third receiver generates in a top passing offense... so I looked it up.

Here it is, measured by total yards, by team in the order of their total passing yards. The Vikings led the league, so they are first:

Vikings Addison 911 (TE was second)
Dolphins Smythe 366 (TE)
Cowboys Cooks 657 (TE was second)
Lions Reynolds 608 (TE was second)
Texans Schulz 635 (TE)
Niners Samuel 892 (TE was second)
Chiefs Watson 460 (TE was first)

OK... now it is glaringly obvious isn't it. The problem isn't at WR3, because NO ONE's WR3 is a top three in yards... no one's.

Adding a better WR3 isn't the way to diversify our passing attack. Improving our TE production is... the numbers above do not lie.

And well... we've already done this.

Jonnu Smith

If he produces 600 yards or so, then... he's our 3rd receiver... and I think he will.
Such a great post. I know I’ve said this in the past but Feverdream knows his stuff. A lot of times I read a random post that makes too much sense and of course it’s from Fever.

I'm sure this got your attention, but it is something I've been thinking about. I think all of us, or most of us, agree that the offensive line still needs help. But, does Grier feel that way?

Now that Wynn is being brought back and Driscoll was signed, there are at least competitive players at each position. Armstead at LT with Smith backing him up. Wynn and Eichenberg at LG. Brewer at center, Jones or Driscoll at RG, Jackson at RT. Personally, I think Driscoll is better suited as a 6th, which is how Philadelphia utilized his talents. But he came to Miami and you have to think part of that was thinking he could start here.

Is offensive line still in play early in the draft, or do you think Grier will look later?
God I hope they’re not done with the Oline.

Now... if we do draft a WR, then we are left with the question of what kind of WR. Thus far, there's been two trains of thought.

Some of the brothers focus on guys who 'get separation', believing that 'these are the kind of guys that McD wants; or... 'these are the kind of guys who could step up if Hill or Waddle were injured'; or... 'Tua needs this type of receiver'.

But it's duplication, not expansion. Drafting yet another z type/y slot type gives us depth, but it doesn't change the offense. Another undersized WR and excitement, excitement, excitement! But no improvement really.

Then there are the brothers who want a different sort of receiver--a better large receiver, an X type who would help us now, in areas we are not good: Red zone and sideline.

Downside. Tua has not shown that he can use this sort of receiver. McD has not shown that he can insert this kind of receiver into his offense. Our line may not be able to hold their blocks long enough to utilize a WR who takes longer to get open...

But this type of WR expands what we do... and change... well, it can be good.

Hmmm. Sorry to offend you but the Groundhog Day attitude that "it's all the OL" or "we have to draft this T/G at this spot and then a center with the next pick" seems so simplistic and repetitive I thought I'd give another viewpoint.

Did we not lose 2 good to great pass rushers in the last 5-6 games? Did we not lose any chance of a home playoff game bc the old and injured corners we had including the awful Eli Apple and the reduced version of Xavien Howard couldn't make ONE play against the 5 win Titans. So excuse me if everyone doesn't buy into this never ending drumbeat that this team will suck until we have five great players on our O-line or that picks 21 and 55 HAVE to be offensive linemen. Unrealistic, unproductive, unlikely. I don't think it's wrong to describe the OL at any cost theory as any of those adjectives.

There is no consensus that OL is the overwhelming need for this team and to paraphrase Rick Pitino, I know enough about this draft to tell you that Richmond Webb and Keith Sims are not coming through the door for Miami in April so to put all your eggs in that philosophy is unrealistic. Not to mention that Grier has never shown the inclination to do that.
I don’t think finding a quality 1, 2 combination of o lineman is far fetched in this particular draft.

Just have to be into that philosophy.

I mean we do have needs on the line and the strength of the draft is Oline and receiver.

One would think going in you want to find armstead replacement at left tackle and a diverse guard to replace hunt.

Yes we need a third receiver but what other pressing need do you see?

Sure replacing Wilkins is real but I think Sieler is ready for the lead role and be a mentor, he does have 37 students to choose from.

Don’t need tight ends, no backs, not sure you wanna use a high asset on edge when your two studs are returning this year who are in their prime.

Dont need corner, don’t need safety.

It seems to me this is the year to match up need with strength of the draft and just fill those two positions with the high level of talent you will get with two top 50 players.

Last edited:
They did. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping he'll develop.
After we drafted him, I went back and studied Hayes at UM, and he looked really good. I think he moves well enough to be ideal in the wide zone. He was good value as a 7th rounder. I saw him rated as a 3rd/4th before the draft.

Back
Top Bottom