Is Ndamukong Suh really worth QB money? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ndamukong Suh really worth QB money?

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
Former GM Pat Kirwan, former QB Jim Miller, and former player & current defensive coordinator Greg Robinson discuss Suh and other subjects.

Suh talk begins at 5:05: Real Football Network - Roundtable

Long story short, they all say he's not worth the contract.

In essence, I agree w/ them. Solid player and scheme analysis.

I can't stand Pat Kirwan, dude sucks on the Pats balls like it's his job.

Hes not. But were not in a position right now to do anything about it. Hes one of the most important players on this team.

Nope. No single player can consistently impact the game enough to justify eating that much of the cap, except a quarterback.

He's not worth it technically, but I don't mind paying an elite player a bit more than he is worth. Elite talent wins playoff games and the more you have the better. We lack elite talent on our defense so in that sense he is worth it.

He's not worth it technically, but I don't mind paying an elite player a bit more than he is worth. Elite talent wins playoff games and the more you have the better. We lack elite talent on our defense so in that sense he is worth it.

Agree. But almost double the amount of other quality defensive tackles is a little absurd.

Disagree. Is he over paid? Maybe. But he's consistently a PFF top 5 DT. He consistently takes on double teams, sometimes triple teams. He's a core piece of this defense. He's a core piece of this team, on the field and in the locker room. He's a talent that you can't just replace with any 3rd round pick. You do what you have to do to keep him on the team. Teams get stuck in mediocrity when they get rid of irreplaceable talent

Only player on defense I would pay elite money is Von Miller.

Suh is really good but he was nowhere to be found in the playoff game against Bell running in the middle or getting a few plays on big ben

Disagree. Is he over paid? Maybe. But he's consistently a PFF top 5 DT. He consistently takes on double teams, sometimes triple teams. He's a core piece of this defense. He's a core piece of this team, on the field and in the locker room. He's a talent that you can't just replace with any 3rd round pick. You do what you have to do to keep him on the team. Teams get stuck in mediocrity when they get rid of irreplaceable talent

With all that being said, he is still well over paid by miles.

To me, the NFL is about getting to the playoffs and super bowl....then winning. Von Miller is a top LB, and the Broncos didn't make it to the playoffs. Drew Brees is great QB, and the Saints didn't make it. We overpaid for Brandon Marshall and Mike Wallace, and made it nowhere. Whats the point in overpaying players? Good defense wins championships, so isn't it better to find quality players instead of elite? You can have 3 elite defenders, and the other 8 are scrubs. Or you can have 11 quality starters.

PFF is garbage. Doesn't mean he wasn't a top player at his position individually, but they're a tabloid analysis company.

I've never seen Suh triple teamed. That's ridiculous, it doesn't happen. Phillips and Mitchell were also double teamed. That term means less these days as every team runs some form of zone blocking which is based off deuce/ace or double blocks where when control is gained by two lineman, one releases and climbs to the second level.

Suh was wrecking people most of the season. I don't believe any of the DC's thus far have put him in a position to succeed. I see him playing off the nose a lot while the other DT is playing more 3 technique on the weak side. They also put him right next to Wake who is the only other elite player on the front 7. Take those two away like Pittsburgh did last week and our defense sinks.

When these two are lined up next to each other they can get get washed out by the blocking scheme. All they do is create a traffic jam that both of them get stuck in the middle of while the other DT and DE get single blocked.

All the more reason why we need an effective two gapper to play that 1 and 2 technique so Suh can go be an up-field 3 technique on the weak side away from Wake.

Randy Starks used to wreak havoc at that 3 technique spot when he played next to Soliai. Just like Atkins used to do playing next to Peko in Cincy. They both had big men to clog the other side.

I'm glad we have him although I would have rather had a stud LB for a bit less and say a A- tackle. Suh has played well though as he should at that salary.

Back
Top Bottom