Is St. Clair really as terrible as people make him out to be? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is St. Clair really as terrible as people make him out to be?

bahamathug

Da_Realest_Dolfan
Reaction score
I need to know if this guy can play at all because i have heard nothing good about him. And why would we pick up a guy who wouldn't benefit out team at all?

St. Clair is just your average backup tackle. He might not even make it through training camp. However, he is a veteran and sometimes everything clicks when you change teams.

One of my friends played O-Line for the University of Virginia and was there for a year with St. Clair. His comments on St. Clair did not have me jumping up and down, but he generally is an overly tough critic.

Maybe I'll ask him for a more detailed breakdown this weekend. If I get around to it I'll post it here.

No, he's not that bad. IMO avg. at tackle with the ability to be a decent starter at any of the interior line positions. What he provides is great flexibility. He is also just now reaching the point where he has acquired some veteran savvy. This is the kind of guy that NE has picked up and used to great effect on their o-lines the last few years. The nay-sayers are mostly remembering one highly hyped game where he played T for the Rams and got smoked. This image has shaped some perceptions, but it isn't accurate. In most games he was avg. at T. He hasn't played the interior in the pros, but I believe he's better suited for it. I see him as a very good backup player and a servicable to good starter depending on the position. He is a very good addition to our team.

Look at it this way...

How many players drafted as a Center do you believe have the ability to play Tackle?

Do you think Kevin Mawae could play Tackle? Birk? Kreutz? No, not really.

We dont want him on the outside. I think he deserves to have a chance to resurrect his career on the inside.

rafael said:
The nay-sayers are mostly remembering one highly hyped game where he played T for the Rams and got smoked.
To get your point across even more, I would seriously doubt if anyone remembered much of anything from John St. Clair two years ago. There are those that want to believe he sucks, for whatever reason(hatred of Wanny regime and every player he brings in, etc.), then they will go with a post from Joe Blow saying he saw the Rams play back in 2001 and St. Clair sucks and preach it as the gospel. Personally I know little about the guy except that he has been pretty much shuffled across the OL his entire career and from what I gather it was more based on need than him being able to find a suitable position. I would feel more comfortable knowing that Jerman won the RG job, than thinking they had no choice put in St. Clair because Jerman couldn't get the job done. I think they have a good back up in St. Clair at least.

mee said:
One of my friends played O-Line for the University of Virginia and was there for a year with St. Clair. His comments on St. Clair did not have me jumping up and down, but he generally is an overly tough critic. .

Yeah, St. Clair was a first-team All-American. :tongue:

Was a four-year letterman (1996-99) who started at center each of his final two seasons ... Was an first-team All-America selection as a center by College Football News and CNN/SI as a senior, adding second-team honors from Football News ... Became the first center in school history to earn All-America honors ... Also was an first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick ... Was the recipient of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, given to the top offensive linemen in the conference ... Graded out at 87.6% for blocking consistency as he registered 84 knockdowns ... As a junior started 10 games and was named second team All-ACC ... Was instrumental in helping to rejuvenate Virginia rushing attack as the Cavaliers led the ACC in a variety of offensive categories, including rushing yards per game (213.1), rushing touchdowns (27), yards per rush (5.0), yards per play (6.1) and first downs per game (21.4) ... Was a reserve tight end as a redshirt freshman in 1996 before being moved to the offensive line for his sophomore season ... Graduated with degree in anthropology.

Lol. Yeah, that's true. Like I said, he is a pretty tough critic.

For the record I hope StClair is a beast, I'm not tryin' to hate. But I still like getting background info from my inside :goof: source. Just passing it along.

He might not be great but he is good for the team. He is as versatile as they come and as a backup that is great. I dont think he will start but it is good to have him and plug him in if any1 gets injured, and i mean any1 cuz he can play every position on the line.

You ALWAYS need depth. If anyone on the OL goes down he could fill in if nessacary and be an adequete backup. If thts all he is, im still glad hes on the team.

He's a decent run blocker but has been abused in pass protection while at OT. He was a center in college....maybe he should be looked at being your C and move McKinney to RG. Carey apparently being counted on as your RT.......neither Whitley nor Jerman make me nervous....actually your starting OL should make opposing defenses drool lol:

Clumpy said:
....actually your starting OL should make opposing defenses drool lol:
Yea, they'll be drooling.....into cups when they get knocked upside their heads by Carey. :drool: :lol:

Clumpy said:
actually your starting OL should make opposing defenses drool lol:

Sorry if you didn't notice but that was last year's line.

Do I have to remind you what that washed up group did to the Bills? :D

54_1_bJPG-1.jpg

I saw him play on DTV last year in several games. They don't call him "the human turnstyle" for nothing.

Clump, you should answer Zod, he asked you a question. An improved Wade Smith and Jeno James, Vernon Carey will make this years line far better than last years so get ready for two sound beatings.

Back
Top Bottom