Is St. Clair really as terrible as people make him out to be? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is St. Clair really as terrible as people make him out to be?

Look, there is a reason that the guy was available and not exactly in huge demand. It doesn't mean he can't be serviceable. The guys not Ogden, he's a journeyman who will provide depth.

St. Clair is a much better option on the inside. Realistically, he should be no more than our 3rd option at RT, after Carey and McIntosh. If St. Clair is starting game 1 at RT, that's a really bad sign. It means that Carey couldn't hack it in camp, and McIntosh isn't healthy yet (indeed, he probably won't be healthy for the first month-6 weeks at least).
I wouldn't mind St. Clair at guard. In fact, ideally, McIntosh would get healthy enough that we might move Carey inside to guard, and St. Clair could fill in at the three inside spots.
I would note this, however: the line, whoever we trot out there, is probably going to be crummy for the first couple weeks. You can't send out that many new starters and not expect an adjustment period. By midseason, it SHOULD be better than last year's, and hopefully significantly so by December. If we're lucky, the learning curve will be shorter than that.

I can't remember whether it was Wanny or Speilman who spoke about him at length earlier in the off season. I think it was Speilman. He had graded St. Clair out with our Oline coach and they were both excited at the growth he showed from first game to last. The explanation they gave was that he had never settled into one position as a pro and learned all its nuances. He was a surprise to them so they signed him.

Remains to be seen if they are right.

phunwin said:
St. Clair is a much better option on the inside. Realistically, he should be no more than our 3rd option at RT, after Carey and McIntosh. If St. Clair is starting game 1 at RT, that's a really bad sign. It means that Carey couldn't hack it in camp, and McIntosh isn't healthy yet (indeed, he probably won't be healthy for the first month-6 weeks at least).
I wouldn't mind St. Clair at guard. In fact, ideally, McIntosh would get healthy enough that we might move Carey inside to guard, and St. Clair could fill in at the three inside spots.
I would note this, however: the line, whoever we trot out there, is probably going to be crummy for the first couple weeks. You can't send out that many new starters and not expect an adjustment period. By midseason, it SHOULD be better than last year's, and hopefully significantly so by December. If we're lucky, the learning curve will be shorter than that.
They MIGHT be crummy, but thts not a fact. ATleast we can be thankful everyone was brought in so quickly. Theyve had a lot of minicamps, gonna be a whole TC, and a whole preseason. I dont think theyll have too much of a prob week 1.

If he's at tackle, then yes he is that terrible. For your sakes I hope he's played inside, because being 100% honest he is one of the worst tackles I've ever seen. At c/g he may well be a very solid player, but not at tackle. Not at tackle.

Clumpy said:
He's a decent run blocker but has been abused in pass protection while at OT. He was a center in college....maybe he should be looked at being your C and move McKinney to RG. Carey apparently being counted on as your RT.......neither Whitley nor Jerman make me nervous....actually your starting OL should make opposing defenses drool lol:

Yeah, probabaly not the Bills front 7.

They'd be hard pressed to get a sack if someone handed them one made of burlap. Odds are, like your DBs, they'd drop it.

Ohiophinphan said:
I can't remember whether it was Wanny or Speilman who spoke about him at length earlier in the off season. I think it was Speilman. He had graded St. Clair out with our Oline coach and they were both excited at the growth he showed from first game to last. The explanation they gave was that he had never settled into one position as a pro and learned all its nuances. He was a surprise to them so they signed him.

Remains to be seen if they are right.

It was RS. Frankly, I trust the opinion of a guy who graded St. Claire over the full season much more than all the yahoos who jump to conclusions based on watching a few games.

I'm glad someone else remembered the article. It was a news conference I think because as I have thought about it, I now remember listening to RS's voice over my computer speakers and he seemed to feel like he had pulled one over on the league and had stolen someone. I hope he's right. In his favor, it often takes an Olineman a couple of years to come into his own in the NFL. Maybe??????

FinFan24 said:
They MIGHT be crummy, but thts not a fact. ATleast we can be thankful everyone was brought in so quickly. Theyve had a lot of minicamps, gonna be a whole TC, and a whole preseason. I dont think theyll have too much of a prob week 1.

Yes, they MIGHT be crummy. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but we've seen over and over that the lines that play the best are almost always the lines with the most continuity (Denver, GB, Indy, etc.). Ergo, a line with four new starters, one of whom is likely to be a rookie, is probably going to struggle at first. It took Wade Smith about half a season to start feeling comfortable at LT. RT is a less demanding position, but Vernon Carey is more than likely to have problems the first few weeks.

ZOD said:
Sorry if you didn't notice but that was last year's line.

Do I have to remind you what that washed up group did to the Bills? :D

54_1_bJPG-1.jpg
:roflmao: Hillarious.

Clumpy said:
neither Whitley nor Jerman make me nervous....actually your starting OL should make opposing defenses drool lol:
A Bills fan talking trash?!?! :shakeno:

:billsbite

Back
Top Bottom