Is there any chance at all we could get Eli | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is there any chance at all we could get Eli

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
I know that it would be expensive, but is there any chance Rick makes an aggressive move and tries to make some noise on draft day.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Tagilabue come to the podium and say:

"With the first pick in the 2004 draft, the Dolphins select Eli Manning QB, Mississippi."

I would be smiling until next December.

We are not that lucky. We always got to have a 10-6 record just miss the playoffs. I don't think we could trade that high.

you know, a month ago, this was like a huge pipe dream. But when you look at the top picks...

SD, Cards, and Radiers, ALL have more than a need at QB, Washington is going hard after Brunelle, and we needa QB, I think we could get it if we wanted it enough. ANY of them would trade down for a firsts (if we let O-gun go) IMO if the pick we get is mid-teens.

The question to me, is would it wbe worth it? I like the idea of Eli, but to be honest I'm just as content to sit and take Rivers, but there's no gurantee he's there. But when push comes to shove, we THEY have other needs, and would let go of their high picks, if the price was right. 2 firsts, and a conditional is a good price...i just don't knwo if I want to pay it.

we could probably trade up to get Eli but the cost will be a lot. The thing is how many picks we are willing to give up to get him. This is if we trade picks w/ the Chargers.

I can see the Chargers trading down to get more picks. Green has already stated he is going to give Mcnown a chance at the helm. Raiders Im not so sure if they are willing to pass up on Eli.

Originally posted by fins4o8
we could probably trade up to get Eli but the cost will be a lot. The thing is how many picks we are willing to give up to get him. This is if we trade picks w/ the Chargers.

I can see the Chargers trading down to get more picks. Green has already stated he is going to give Mcnown a chance at the helm. Raiders Im not so sure if they are willing to pass up on Eli.
Eli won't fall, it's more like who will move up to get him. I hope we do, with these QB's flooding the market, I feel conent that we'll make an upgrade though. IF we go for him great, i'll be happy. But if we end up with Rivers or Henson, I'll be happy as well.

anybody could get Eli if they really wanted to. It just takes lots of draft picks.

I bet it would take two 1sts this year and something next. I love the idea b/c he is the only rookie I could even possibly see starting and having success. It wouold solve our issue with finding a starter and drafting a QB for the future. However Henson and Rivers plus a WR out of this crop is interesting also. The only option I would consider would be trade both #1s this year (if we get one for wally) a 3rd and next years #1 for SD's top two picks. They prob would not take it b/c it would only give them one extra pick this year and one next year but its nice to dream. We could then end up with ELi and Jenkins ;)

NOOOOOOOOOO CHANCE AT ALL!!!!!!
Do you know what kind of jack it takes to sign the #1 player, it's more than we could afford even if there was the SLIM chance that we even could move up that high.
NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!

Actually with the Chargers looking very anxious about selecting a QB at the #1 spot and with only one team in this draft having two first round picks (the patriots, #21 and #32) if the Dolphins get another first for Ogunleye, it is very possible that we could move up to the #1 pick...depending on what Ogunleye gets us. What it would cost approximately is our two first rounders plus next year's first rounder, and possibly (depending on which pick we get for Ogunleye) our two third rounders (assuming Ogun nets us a 1st+3rd)...and thats just going by the classic trade value chart that most NFL teams use when considering trades.

The big decision though is would you really select Eli Manning if you went all the way to the top? If we were really considering trading all the way up for one player, I would very STRONGLY consider freak of nature Larry Fitzgerald. If we traded away a pick in the 2005 draft for Drew Henson, like say the 2nd rounder, well...a combination of Larry Fitzgerald and Chris Chambers would be super-phat no matter what you're workin with at QB. Larry Fitzgerald has unbelievable hands, roughly the size of trash can lids (ok not really but you get the picture), has better than prototypical WR size, and they say that he might have the best hand-eye coordination the draft has EVER seen. The only question is his speed, but he gets good breaks and bursts in his routes so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lemme put it this way. You put a rookie Fitzgerald in the offense with Chambers, McMichael, Ricky and Rob, and you add some help on the offensive line, then this offense could be top 10 with fricking Ray Lucas throwing the ball. It would certainly be a way to ensure a "win now" approach even with our QB being Sage Rosenfels....and if Henson's the real deal then we'll have also assured us a QB of the future. Best of both worlds.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Actually with the Chargers looking very anxious about selecting a QB at the #1 spot and with only one team in this draft having two first round picks (the patriots, #21 and #32) if the Dolphins get another first for Ogunleye, it is very possible that we could move up to the #1 pick...depending on what Ogunleye gets us. What it would cost approximately is our two first rounders plus next year's first rounder, and possibly (depending on which pick we get for Ogunleye) our two third rounders (assuming Ogun nets us a 1st+3rd)...and thats just going by the classic trade value chart that most NFL teams use when considering trades.

The big decision though is would you really select Eli Manning if you went all the way to the top? If we were really considering trading all the way up for one player, I would very STRONGLY consider freak of nature Larry Fitzgerald. If we traded away a pick in the 2005 draft for Drew Henson, like say the 2nd rounder, well...a combination of Larry Fitzgerald and Chris Chambers would be super-phat no matter what you're workin with at QB. Larry Fitzgerald has unbelievable hands, roughly the size of trash can lids (ok not really but you get the picture), has better than prototypical WR size, and they say that he might have the best hand-eye coordination the draft has EVER seen. The only question is his speed, but he gets good breaks and bursts in his routes so that shouldn't be a problem.

Lemme put it this way. You put a rookie Fitzgerald in the offense with Chambers, McMichael, Ricky and Rob, and you add some help on the offensive line, then this offense could be top 10 with fricking Ray Lucas throwing the ball. It would certainly be a way to ensure a "win now" approach even with our QB being Sage Rosenfels....and if Henson's the real deal then we'll have also assured us a QB of the future. Best of both worlds.
[/QUOTE

Interesting point!! You would prefer to get a Fitz vs Eli??? Not sure I agree but it makes a very interesting point.

the best player in the draft is sean taylor, we need a safety, but no way in hell should we trade up for him or anyone else, we can sit tight and improve our team with out pick and whatever pick we get for ogun, it's a deep draft.

The Larry Fitzgerald thing adds a different dimension. Most assume if we're moving up and selling the farm for Eli or somethin we're sacrificing our present for our future (ie in "rebuilding" mode). If you do that for a Fitzgerald its quite the opposite. This would be sacrificing our future for the present because Fitzgerald and Taylor are probably the two guys in the draft most ready to play RIGHT NOW and be possible pro bowl caliber guys.

Eli could probably play this year by all means, but he wouldn't lead us to a Super Bowl or somethin.

Thing about trading up for a top pick like that you don't really do it for a defensive player unless its a really special D-Lineman. No draft CB, virtually no draft LB, and certainly no draft Safety, could ever single-handedly vault your defense into one of the best in the league unless they have lots of help. Hard to say a special DE or DT could either, but they could do a lot more than a CB, S, or LB probably. One of the reasons the Panthers got where they are is cuz they drafted Peppers. Does it help the Ravens to have Ed Reed? Yup, but it helps a whole lot more them having Ray Lewis, McCalister, and Terrell Suggs.

Anyway back to Fitzgerald. He's the best WR to come out in years. Like I said, better hand-eye coordination than maybe anyone ever in the draft. He's like what Keyshawn was when he was the 1st player taken in the draft, except by all accounts he's faster than Keyshawn...and has nowhere NEAR the attitude that has plagued Keyshawn's career. If you sell out and grab a Larry Fitzgerald and put him next to a guy with the natural talent (and now all the polishing too) of Chambers, then you grab some FA help in the OL dept, like I said a monkey could pilot this offense to top ten in the league.

A top ten offense would also give an edge back to the defense that we would be losing when Ogunleye departs. Easier to passrush when you can pin your ears back because teams are playing from behind. Easier to dominate when time of possession is usually on your side.

If you get a Drew Henson on top of Larry Fitzgerald, like I said you are settin this team up for the present and in the future.

Back
Top Bottom