Is there any chance at all we could get Eli | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is there any chance at all we could get Eli

Originally posted by Thundercracker
I don't see any possible scenario.

Didn't Mike Ditka give up all his draft picks to move up to the number 5 pick to get Ricky Williams??? :splat:

Originally posted by Dolfan4life
I know that it would be expensive, but is there any chance Rick makes an aggressive move and tries to make some noise on draft day.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Tagilabue come to the podium and say:

"With the first pick in the 2004 draft, the Dolphins select Eli Manning QB, Mississippi."

I would be smiling until next December.

Sure, there is a way. If we tender ogun and somebody that desperately needs a DE like Wash signs him and we get their #5 overall pick, we'd have to trade that and our other 1st rnd pick to SD and move up. That could be likely since I think SD wants to do something like that anyway and has been mentioned. Staying pat at #5 wouldn'r guarantee us Eli since AZ would grab him and leave us with Ben. but personally, if that happened and we got the Skins pick, I would stand pat and see what goes. I would rather take gallery at #5 if the Jints don't grab as alot of sources indicate they will. If not, then I snap up Shawn Andrews in a heartbeat. I know that Sean Taylor is intruiging as hell but Andrews fills a much more pressing need. Then I would sit on the #20 and wait for Rivers as about 80%+ of all the mocks I've seen have us taking him there and these have all been updated since the last week. But come draft day, if it looks like Rivers may go sooner, then i'd look at anything I could do to move down a couple of spots. But no way in heell is this the year to play Jimmy and trade our #20 for a bunch of later picks. We need quality and not quantity this year. However it's done, I can not stress enough the importance of aquiring a QB for the future. But this is depending on things the way they are right now. If we truly address OL adequately in FA, then use the #5 for the best after Fitzgerald, unless Oak passes on him. Now, I'm gonna lay some crazy schidt out there. Suppose Rivers stock dramatically rises during/after the combine and he moves down into the top 10 or lower to somewhere where our #20 won't come close to touching him. What to do? With everything else being the same, this is a case where I may take a chance on Henson or even Ramsey via trade, say our 2 #3s and , hell, even the rest of our late picks if neccessary. That has our future guy in town and we have 2 1st rndrs left to grab the either of the OTs or WRs with the 5th pick. And assuming that one of those 2 positions has been addressed in FA, that would dictate which position gets picked first. If WR is picked at 5, then I grab vernon carey at 20. If one of the OTs are picked at %, then i grab Clayton or best at 20. But I'm sorry, the D will have to take a backseat this year and be filled by any other means available, late picks if any left, FA or off waivers, etc. This D is gonna have to start earning the 40 som'n + mil of cap space they're eating up for us to really go anywhere. But anyway, I'm not convinced totally that getting this QB or that one is any more important than assembling the right combination of people. IMO, that works more than simply a boat load of pure talent. Hell, look no further than NE. ;)

I think it's impossible. #1 is worth WAY too much nowadays. We do not have enough trade bait to move up. 2 firsts this year and a 1st next year probably wouldn't even be enough..

The best example I can think of is in 1999 was New Orleans trading 2 firsts, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th and a 7th just to move up to the #5 spot overall to get Ricky.

They traded their entire draft. They offered the same deal to the Eagles (#2 pick overall), Colts (#4 pick overall) and the Bengals (#3 pick overall) and they ALL refused the trade.

That's how much it is worth nowadays. And especially with a QB like Manning coming out of the draft, this guy is going to be what makes or breaks the organization that gets him.

i think the Ditka deal could've been done w/o ALL those picks. The other teams, 1-4, weren't interested in trading down and Ditka didn't want to risk a deal falling thru.

Back
Top Bottom