Is there really a curse of Tedford QBs. Probably not. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is there really a curse of Tedford QBs. Probably not.

PhinsPhan

Pro Bowler
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Calgary, Canada
Alright so the fab 5 that have been "busts" that were all coached by QB guru Jeff Tedford in college is as follows:

1) Trent Dilfer
2) Akili Smith
3) David Carr
4) Joey Harrington
5) Kyle Boller

The media has named all of the previous busts. Some rightfully so. Some not.

1) Trent Dilfer - 6th pick overall by Tampa Bay Buccs - 1996

Dilfer made the Pro Bowl in 1997 (not sure how he made it there that year though) and won the Superbowl in 2000. Does this mean he is not a bust? No. But he is not as bad as he is made out to be. 1) Like most of the QBs on this list he went to a bad team to start his career. Not just a bad team but also received bad coaching. Verdict - Solid QB with laurels to his career. Hard to call him a bust. But probably not 6th overall material.

2) Akili Smith - 3rd pick overall by Cincinnati Bengals - 1999

Yes Akili is a bust. He has been around in the league long enough and has never performed. There are two factors to consider. 1) He was drafted by the Bengals, where he received excellent coaching like most bengals players did from 1996-2003. 2) He should have never been picked that high to begin with. He had one good season in college and the Bungles being the Bungles picked him. Verdict - Total bust, maybe he shouldnt have been drafted that high though.

3) David Carr - 1st overall by the Houston Texans - 2002

How can a guy be labled a bust after only playing 3 years. All the while showing constant improvement and being the Franchise player to an expansion team. Last year he had an 83.5 QB rating and threw 61%. The two years before that his rating was 69.5 and 62.8. All three years he showed improvement in QB Rating and Completion Percentage. Also dont forget that this guy is only in his third year. He is vastly improving and he put up a better QB rating than Farve did in 2000 and 1999. Verdict. Not even close to being a bust.

4) Joey Harrington - 3rd overall by the Detriot Lions - 2002

Much like Carr he is labled a bust after only playing 3 years. And much like Carr he has improved consistently every year. Has shown improvements in Yards, TDs, Comp Per, QB Rating, Wins and Avg per completion in each of his three years. Basically this guy has improved in all major statistical categories for a QB over the past three years and will continue to improve. He has yet to start the year and finish the year with the offense that he starts the pre season with. Last year he lost Roy Williams during the season. In the past two years he lost Charles Rogers early on. Up until last year did not have a running game and his first year year had terrible blocking. His second year the blocking was slightly improved but almost just as bad if you watched the Lions games. Verdict. Just like Carr not even close to a bust. Give him 1 more terrible year and 2-3 mediocre years before slapping that label on him.

5) Kyle Shot Caller Boller - 19th overall by the Baltimore Ravens - 2003

I laugh at this. How can someone be a bust after one full year of playing, that is just horrible analysis or journalism or whatever you want to call the media for saying this. Once again has shown improvements in his first two years in the NFL. Both QB Rating and Completion Percentage were improved over the last two years. Some may point to Anthony Wright. For some reason Billick let Wright do his thing but Boller is still under wraps. He will continue to improve but I think Billick wants his rookie QB to improve slowly and not make mistakes. Baltimore may be a good situation like Pittsburgh was to Ben. But fact is they still had no receivers, a good Oline that is better suited to run blocking and a team that relies on not making mistakes instead of going out there to win. Once again, too early to call a bust and has shown improvement both years. He was also born in 1981. Verdict. Not a bust.

That brings us to Rodgers. The media seems to think he is an automatic bust because of the guy who coached him in college. How could this be when so far Tedfords other proteges arent exactly busts themselves. Giving a rookie QB on a crappy team 3 years to prove themselves is a bit judgemental. They should get at least 4 and if they show improvement in all those years why not give them more. I dont think Rodgers will be a bust because of his coach especially when his coach has a rap that isnt necessarily deserved.

Then there is the fact that Rodgers has a deadly accurate arm. This differs greatly from previous Tedford projects that indeed may have benefited from a friendly system that didnt expose this weekness in college. Rodgers is probably the most accurate QB coming into this draft and may in fact be the most accurate QB in last years draft too.

1) Dilfer - Has never shown good accuracy or touch on the ball
2) Akili - terrible accuracy. Had a cannon but zero accuracy
3) Carr - ok accuracy but has problem with the touch he puts on the ball on the short and intermediate routes. Tends to fire it too hard at times.
4) Harrington - supposed to be accurate but lacks consistency on his accuracy
5) Boller - not accurate deep at all, intermediate accuracy is below average and short route he is decent.

Bottom line Rodgers has the accuracy that none of the previous ones except for maybe Harrington had. Tedfords system of short controlled passes are supposed to take advantage of QBs that have poor accuracy and inflate their stats. Rodgers does not have this problem.

As for Rodgers 6'2" not being ideal. The Following QBs are 6'2" or under:

- Donovan McNabb
- Brett Farve
- Steve McNair
- Michael Vick (6'0")
- Drew Brees (6'0")
- Jake Delhomme
- Jake Plummer
- Kurt Warner
- Jon Kitna
- Jeff Garcia
- and Everyones favorite Jay Fiedler

- Young was 6'2"
- Montana was 6'2"

Not all QBs are Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger. Most struggle early in their career and some take a long time to develop. Most take at least 3 years to develop and shine. Even though Rodgers will probably be the same as Harrington, Carr, and Boller posting a 60 QB rating his first year that doesnt mean that he is going to be a bust for his career. Todays NFL is one of results now. QB prospects used to be given a chance to shine and improve. Now they dont even get 2 years before the dreaded bust tag is slapped on them.

I just dont get why everyone is doging this guy. Tedford QB theory is a joke on such a small sample with QBs that went to bad situations and are still improving. His height problem is made up. That is a list of QBs under 6'2" imagine if the list was expanded to include 6'3". Only one extra inch. He has the arm. He has good intangibles. He is the most pro ready QB. At first I didnt want this guy but if the 9ers take Smith I will be fine with him.
 

Jaj

What you say?
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
LA
PhinsPhan said:
Alright so the fab 5 that have been "busts" that were all coached by QB guru Jeff Tedford in college is as follows:

1) Trent Dilfer
2) Akili Smith
3) David Carr
4) Joey Harrington
5) Kyle Boller

The media has named all of the previous busts. Some rightfully so. Some not.

1) Trent Dilfer - 6th pick overall by Tampa Bay Buccs - 1996

Dilfer made the Pro Bowl in 1997 (not sure how he made it there that year though) and won the Superbowl in 2000. Does this mean he is not a bust? No. But he is not as bad as he is made out to be. 1) Like most of the QBs on this list he went to a bad team to start his career. Not just a bad team but also received bad coaching. Verdict - Solid QB with laurels to his career. Hard to call him a bust. But probably not 6th overall material.

2) Akili Smith - 3rd pick overall by Cincinnati Bengals - 1999

Yes Akili is a bust. He has been around in the league long enough and has never performed. There are two factors to consider. 1) He was drafted by the Bengals, where he received excellent coaching like most bengals players did from 1996-2003. 2) He should have never been picked that high to begin with. He had one good season in college and the Bungles being the Bungles picked him. Verdict - Total bust, maybe he shouldnt have been drafted that high though.

3) David Carr - 1st overall by the Houston Texans - 2002

How can a guy be labled a bust after only playing 3 years. All the while showing constant improvement and being the Franchise player to an expansion team. Last year he had an 83.5 QB rating and threw 61%. The two years before that his rating was 69.5 and 62.8. All three years he showed improvement in QB Rating and Completion Percentage. Also dont forget that this guy is only in his third year. He is vastly improving and he put up a better QB rating than Farve did in 2000 and 1999. Verdict. Not even close to being a bust.

4) Joey Harrington - 3rd overall by the Detriot Lions - 2002

Much like Carr he is labled a bust after only playing 3 years. And much like Carr he has improved consistently every year. Has shown improvements in Yards, TDs, Comp Per, QB Rating, Wins and Avg per completion in each of his three years. Basically this guy has improved in all major statistical categories for a QB over the past three years and will continue to improve. He has yet to start the year and finish the year with the offense that he starts the pre season with. Last year he lost Roy Williams during the season. In the past two years he lost Charles Rogers early on. Up until last year did not have a running game and his first year year had terrible blocking. His second year the blocking was slightly improved but almost just as bad if you watched the Lions games. Verdict. Just like Carr not even close to a bust. Give him 1 more terrible year and 2-3 mediocre years before slapping that label on him.

5) Kyle Shot Caller Boller - 19th overall by the Baltimore Ravens - 2003

I laugh at this. How can someone be a bust after one full year of playing, that is just horrible analysis or journalism or whatever you want to call the media for saying this. Once again has shown improvements in his first two years in the NFL. Both QB Rating and Completion Percentage were improved over the last two years. Some may point to Anthony Wright. For some reason Billick let Wright do his thing but Boller is still under wraps. He will continue to improve but I think Billick wants his rookie QB to improve slowly and not make mistakes. Baltimore may be a good situation like Pittsburgh was to Ben. But fact is they still had no receivers, a good Oline that is better suited to run blocking and a team that relies on not making mistakes instead of going out there to win. Once again, too early to call a bust and has shown improvement both years. He was also born in 1981. Verdict. Not a bust.

That brings us to Rodgers. The media seems to think he is an automatic bust because of the guy who coached him in college. How could this be when so far Tedfords other proteges arent exactly busts themselves. Giving a rookie QB on a crappy team 3 years to prove themselves is a bit judgemental. They should get at least 4 and if they show improvement in all those years why not give them more. I dont think Rodgers will be a bust because of his coach especially when his coach has a rap that isnt necessarily deserved.

Then there is the fact that Rodgers has a deadly accurate arm. This differs greatly from previous Tedford projects that indeed may have benefited from a friendly system that didnt expose this weekness in college. Rodgers is probably the most accurate QB coming into this draft and may in fact be the most accurate QB in last years draft too.

1) Dilfer - Has never shown good accuracy or touch on the ball
2) Akili - terrible accuracy. Had a cannon but zero accuracy
3) Carr - ok accuracy but has problem with the touch he puts on the ball on the short and intermediate routes. Tends to fire it too hard at times.
4) Harrington - supposed to be accurate but lacks consistency on his accuracy
5) Boller - not accurate deep at all, intermediate accuracy is below average and short route he is decent.

Bottom line Rodgers has the accuracy that none of the previous ones except for maybe Harrington had. Tedfords system of short controlled passes are supposed to take advantage of QBs that have poor accuracy and inflate their stats. Rodgers does not have this problem.

As for Rodgers 6'2" not being ideal. The Following QBs are 6'2" or under:

- Donovan McNabb
- Brett Farve
- Steve McNair
- Michael Vick (6'0")
- Drew Brees (6'0")
- Jake Delhomme
- Jake Plummer
- Kurt Warner
- Jon Kitna
- Jeff Garcia
- and Everyones favorite Jay Fiedler

- Young was 6'2"
- Montana was 6'2"

Not all QBs are Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger. Most struggle early in their career and some take a long time to develop. Most take at least 3 years to develop and shine. Even though Rodgers will probably be the same as Harrington, Carr, and Boller posting a 60 QB rating his first year that doesnt mean that he is going to be a bust for his career. Todays NFL is one of results now. QB prospects used to be given a chance to shine and improve. Now they dont even get 2 years before the dreaded bust tag is slapped on them.

I just dont get why everyone is doging this guy. Tedford QB theory is a joke on such a small sample with QBs that went to bad situations and are still improving. His height problem is made up. That is a list of QBs under 6'2" imagine if the list was expanded to include 6'3". Only one extra inch. He has the arm. He has good intangibles. He is the most pro ready QB. At first I didnt want this guy but if the 9ers take Smith I will be fine with him.


Thanks for shooting down the media's bull**** :D
 

jnewmant

Hit folks and like it!
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
7
Age
38
Location
Greenville, MS
yes there is and the curse was created when Tedford pissed off a voodoo witch doctor on his vacation to Antigua one in the summer of 1995 oh and by the way good post i'm just a little to inebriated right now to actually analyze what you wrote
 

HysterikiLL

Practice Squad
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
12,653
Reaction score
0
Excellent post. I don't think those guys were busts and ultimately, I think a players success hinges on his talent and the misjudgement of that. I think Rodgers has more talent than Harrington and Boller.
 

Cheapshotz

Practice Squad
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
290
Reaction score
0
Age
45
Great post man. Nice to see someone break it down.

Rodgers > Smith
 

Agent51

Practice Squad
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Hawai'i
PhinsPhan said:
Thanx, glad to see at least one person took the time to read that monster post.

I read it too, and I too do not thing Carr OR Harrington are busts. Yeah, they haven't wowed anyone yet, but Carr IS basically the Texans, in the sense that he was the guy picked by a brand new franchise to be the future of the team, and that takes time, ESPECIALLY when you are a totally new team. Harrington has the right weapons, especially in Rodgers and my boy Williams, they just need to stay healthy. IDK, the rest I think are busts, and I'm not even saying those two are great, I'm just saying they haven't been given enough time to label them ANYTHING, bust or otherwise. I ALSO think that Rodgers is better than Smith. Good post man.
 

Cheapshotz

Practice Squad
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
290
Reaction score
0
Age
45
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention one thing. Feeley is a Tedford QB:roflmao:
 

Regan21286

Wa Wa Wee Wa
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
0
Location
UCLA
Cheapshotz said:
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention one thing. Feeley is a Tedford QB:roflmao:

Yep, makes me wanna get Rodgers even more. :shakeno: :D
 

Waterboy

DolFan
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
496
Reaction score
0
Age
53
Location
Austin, Texas
I like Rodgers quick release. The way he keeps the ball by his head then BAM he throws it with accuracy. Kind of like another qb from the university of Pitt that no one wanted because of his unique release. Hmmm... Good post!
 

KB21

Club Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Messages
10,065
Reaction score
68
David Carr, IMO, is the best young quarterback in the league right now. The guy gets sacked 50 times a season and still has enough in him to improve with each step.
 

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
27,757
Reaction score
8,707
Location
FL
PhinsPhan said:
As for Rodgers 6'2" not being ideal. The Following QBs are 6'2" or under:

- Donovan McNabb
- Brett Farve
- Steve McNair
- Michael Vick (6'0")
- Drew Brees (6'0")
- Jake Delhomme
- Jake Plummer
- Kurt Warner
- Jon Kitna
- Jeff Garcia
- and Everyones favorite Jay Fiedler

- Young was 6'2"
- Montana was 6'2"

exactly, that arguement that Rodgers is too small just doesn't hold water
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,039
Reaction score
1
Age
35
Location
England
KB21 said:
David Carr, IMO, is the best young quarterback in the league right now. The guy gets sacked 50 times a season and still has enough in him to improve with each step.
exactly... it's an insult to Carr to call him a bust. He is a quality young signal caller.
 

PhinsPhan

Pro Bowler
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Location
Calgary, Canada
KB21 said:
David Carr, IMO, is the best young quarterback in the league right now. The guy gets sacked 50 times a season and still has enough in him to improve with each step.

Yeah I touched on Harrington having a bad O-line early on but I almost completely forgot about Carr. Good point.
 
Top Bottom