Is this another one of Wannstedts "qb competitions"? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is this another one of Wannstedts "qb competitions"?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Now that it seems that Fiedler will be coming back to battle Feeley for the starting quarterback position, my mind brings me back to the last time the phins had a qb competition. It was Fiedler vs. Huard and Fiedler got hurt in the pre-season all but sealing his fate. But, out of the blue, Fiedler returned for the last pre-season game and played well and was anointed the starter. It seemed to me at that time as if Wannstedt wanted Fiedler from the get go to be the starting qb no matter what. Could this be round 2 of that? Or could the shoe be on the other foot now?

like my avatar says, Fiedler w/make a better backup. But remember they are loads or mini and QB camps as well as some scrimmages prior to PS and that is where Jay impressed Wanne the 1st time. I expect Feeley to have the inside track since he is the l/t solution and we know what we do not have w/Jay

Well, in fairness, I have to add that the offense under Huard had like, what? 1 TD in all the preseason games? Then Fiedler came in the last two preseason games and the offense scored 2 or 3 TDs under him. It was pretty apparent to me he had more poise back there than Huard.

I, too, worry about the fairness of the competition though should Jay be allowed to compete for a starting job with Feeley.

I seem to remember it a little different, I remember Fiedler coming back the last preseason game and throwing 3 Int's. I believe that is what caused the uproar of Fiedler starting over Huard.

I will add that I think it turned out to be the right decision but Fiedler didn't earn the start at all.

i believe bringing fiedler back is a smart move.. although a very unpopular one with all of us... lets look at the facts.. he knows the offense and knows the players.. thats alot to ask a new QB like feeley or perhaps huard or volek ... there were teams interested in jay, but, only in a backup capasity... why do u think he wants to stay... he knows he has the support of the coach .. and could very easily win the starting job... as insurance jay is perfect...

It was the last preseason game. I have no idea why in the world I typed "last two" games. And you're right, he did throw several ints. The O did score several times though; something which it didn't do under Huard. Fiedler looked a lot more decisive in the pocket and Huard as well. At that point, I was willing to give Jay the benefit of the doubt on the ints as being due to rust; little did I know.

I don't think people are upset at Jay coming back as a back up.Is just hard to believe that after what they did with Feeley they'd then turn around and bring Jay back at 3.7 milli a year, money that we need to get a free agent lineman.Oh but wait, I guess saying this makes me a "bad" fan, right?

Ozzy rules!!

danny ur not a bad fan.. ur like all of us we want to win.. and by the way jay will come back with a restrutured deal.. to save cap space.. there is an article in one of the miami papers saying he will restructure for more years added.. as a backup .. and insurance jay is perfect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PASSING
NO Att Cmp Yds TD Int Rate
J Delhomme 22 14 171 1 1 83.7
A Brooks 10 7 107 0 0 105.0
J Blake 2 1 12 0 0 68.8

MIA Att Cmp Yds TD Int Rate
J Fiedler 14 10 109 0 3 54.5
M Quinn 16 8 82 1 0 85.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score by Quarters 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Saints 10 0 0 7 17
Miami 3 10 9 0 22

Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER
NOR - FG, DOUG BRIEN 34 YD, 3:45. NEW ORLEANS 3-0

MIA - FG, OLINDO MARE 23 YD, 7:09. MIAMI 3, NEW ORLEANS 3

NOR - TD, DARREN PERRY 58 YD INTERCEPTION RETURN (DOUG BRIEN KICK), 9:10. NEW ORLEANS 10-3 (Shades of things to come :lol: )

SECOND QUARTER
MIA - TD, J.J. JOHNSON 1 YD RUN (OLINDO MARE KICK), 5:58.
MIAMI 10, NEW ORLEANS 10

MIA - FG, OLINDO MARE 31 YD, 13:44. MIAMI 13-10
THIRD QUARTER

MIA - FG, OLINDO MARE 34 YD, 10:36. MIAMI 16-10

MIA - TD, JED WEAVER 5 YD PASS FROM MIKE QUINN (PAT BLOCKED), 13:58. MIAMI 22-10

FOURTH QUARTER

NOR - TD, WILLIE JACKSON 8 YD PASS FROM JAKE DELHOMME (DOUG BRIEN KICK), 13:05. MIAMI 22-17

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by DOLFAN91
danny ur not a bad fan.. ur like all of us we want to win.. and by the way jay will come back with a restrutured deal.. to save cap space.. there is an article in one of the miami papers saying he will restructure for more years added.. as a backup .. and insurance jay is perfect
I agree that he'd be a good back up and if his cap number will really be adjusted then I have no problem with him coming back. BTW,I was one of Jay's biggest suporters and one of Wanny's biggest suporters as well but after these last 4 years I feel that we needed to get rid of both of them. I feel that I was wrong about being in their corner and all the people that from the very begining were saying bad things about them were right.I like to give everyone a chance but Jay and Wanny had their. Anyway, just wanted to make sure that people on here know I'm not a negative fan, I'm just frustrated like everyone else.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm with you guys, this is beginning to look like a bogus competition. I just don't get it. You step up to the plate, bring in a good, young prospect like Feely, pay him decent money and then tell him he might be riding the bench if our old QB who hasn't won anything of major importance beats him in training camp. Doesn't Fiedler have a natural advantage because of his age, experience, and familiarity with the Dolphins system? This doesn't sound like a bold move to get us into the Super Bowl to me. It sounds like recycled crap, afraid to lose, play it safe Wanny is afraid to step up and make some strong decisions.

Even if Fiedler is impressive in training camp, he is injury-prone and is certainly not the future of this team. Have you noticed that all the teams that are supposedly interested in Fiedler are only interested in him as a low-paid back-up QB. They get it, why don't why we get it? The way this should have been handled is Wanny should have made a committment to Feely and then brought back Fiedler as a back-up at back-up pay. No QB controversy was necessary. He should have talked to Fiedler before the press announced the Feely trade and worked things out under the radar with Fiedler. Who knows, maybe Spielman and Wanny disagree about Fiedler, which is why Spielman told Fiedler to look for another club.

Originally posted by PhinPhreak
I seem to remember it a little different, I remember Fiedler coming back the last preseason game and throwing 3 Int's. I believe that is what caused the uproar of Fiedler starting over Huard.

I will add that I think it turned out to be the right decision but Fiedler didn't earn the start at all.

I wuz gonna say som'n about that too. But i was thinking it was 4 picks. No matter tho !! :lol: :lol:

he looked much better then huard. He was 10 for 14. The offense actually MOVED with feidler. Huard was a horrible qb

I didn't say he threw for TDs phinphreak. He moved the team for TDs, something it didn't do during the entirety of Huard's play during that preseason. I think they had scored one TD in the previous games under Huard.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
he looked much better then huard. He was 10 for 14. The offense actually MOVED with feidler. Huard was a horrible qb

Hey and really he was 13 of 14 if you count the 3 caught by the other team :lol:

Back
Top Bottom