Is Zack the next cut in 2006 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Zack the next cut in 2006

Saban won't hesitate one moment to cut Thomas next year if he doesn't produce. Having said that, I feel Zach has at least 3-4 good solid years left in the tank. And since the guy bleeds aqua and orange, I would not be surprised to see him restructure. He isn't playing for the money. He's playing for the ring.

I agree with those who say that Thomas will thrive and be even more effective in Saban's scheme. How often now do you think Mawae will be left uncovered so he can cleanly reach the 2nd level? I always thought that was so stupid when we played the Jets that we never adjusted, heck we seldom made any adjustments from week to week as for basic alignment. Just that same even front nearly all the time. I would have loved to seen TimBo over the past few years slide over and play head up on Mawae and just force him to make that block.
I think playing the weak inside in the odd front will be perfect for Zach. Zach has plenty of tread left on his tires.

The question on everyone's minds will soon be "how do we get Channing Crowder more involved" rather than "how can we keep Zach"

I suppose an easy answer would be to have Crowder take over for Seau when Seau departs. Seau is going to play true middle now, and in this defense Crowder could easily play that. The SSLB spot will be reserved for a big guy like Spragan or perhaps a DL convert and Zach could always continue to play WSLB.

I agree with those who say that Thomas will thrive and be even more effective in Saban's scheme. How often now do you think Mawae will be left uncovered so he can cleanly reach the 2nd level? I always thought that was so stupid when we played the Jets that we never adjusted, heck we seldom made any adjustments from week to week as for basic alignment. Just that same even front nearly all the time. I would have loved to seen TimBo over the past few years slide over and play head up on Mawae and just force him to make that block.
I think playing the weak inside in the odd front will be perfect for Zach. Zach has plenty of tread left on his tires.

In that scenario it would have been the RG who would release out to Zach and take him on instead of Mawae. Zach will not be playing true middle anymore in this defense, you watch. He will be a weakside backer, and will scrape over like he's been doing. Junior will play true middle and will be more of an attacker. My question is, is Zach fast enough. Lets hope so.

Crowder has plenty of size too, more than Spragan. SOLB may well be his first starting position.
I would not be surprised at all if he and Roth both start as rookies on the left side. There will be plenty of rotating, so no matter who starts they will all get on the field a lot.

What if Zach performs better NOW than he did with Wanny?

I think he will (he will ahve more room to roam and freelance) and if he does it will be a moot point.. Either way I think Crowder is versatile enough to play Outside in a 3-4..

Versatility baby.. mind as well be Saban's middle name.

ckparrothead said:
In that scenario it would have been the RG who would release out to Zach and take him on instead of Mawae. Zach will not be playing true middle anymore in this defense, you watch. He will be a weakside backer, and will scrape over like he's been doing. Junior will play true middle and will be more of an attacker. My question is, is Zach fast enough. Lets hope so.
The Jets never has a RG who could block on the 2nd level as well as Mawae, IMO. But it's a moot point now. :)

As for whether Zach is fast enough, I'd say as fast as he thinks, he'll be just fine. He may run a 4.7 or what ever on a track, but on the field his mind is 4.3. I agree with you totally about how he and Junior will be used and it would sure seem to fit them both better than how they were used in the old scheme.

My roommate and I live football.... I am a fin obviously, and he is a Giant.... I have been telling him since about 3 months ago it would not surprise me is ZT is gone. Honestly I love Zach, he is great, he re-does his contract every year, he studies day in and day out, and he plays his guts out, but if Zach were drafted by another team way back when, no one would have ever heard of him. He is a product of our system, he fit it perfectly, but would not succeed on many other teams, imho. I feel he will be traded next season and I have felt that since Saban moved in, he doesnt fit Saban's systems players. Without 2 big DT's in front of him eating up the oline, he wont be able to take on all the blocks, if Saban somehow runs a D similiar to the one we have been playing ZT will be fine, but I doubt that. We are gonna need a MLB that can shed blocks and do things without having the center of the Oline taken up. I feel he will be gone after this year, maybe after next year, and it will be for whatever we can get at the time.....but hopefully something good!

knight6jb said:
Honestly I love Zach, he is great, he re-does his contract every year, he studies day in and day out, and he plays his guts out, but if Zach were drafted by another team way back when, no one would have ever heard of him. He is a product of our system, he fit it perfectly, but would not succeed on many other teams, imho.

umm, yea, gonna have to sort of, disagree with you...

zach was a baddass in college, the only reason he slipped in the draft was because scouts thought he was too small for the pros, he is not a "product of the systsm" as u said, especially a base 4-3 system that is not as effective as other systems.

Zach is still in his prime, he still led the team in tackles last yea,r even though he had some injuries, he is the heart and soul of the defense, and without him u lose not only a future HOF LB, but the heart of the defense.

Zach retires a dolphin after the 2009 season

I'm seeing a lot of people are still in the Spielman 'thing' despite everyone's hatred for the guy. It was Spielman's mantra to get younger and stay younger philosophy. If Saban 'is' truly like Belichek then I could see a guy like Zach staying into his mid 30's if he performs. The NE LB's weren't spring chickens themselves after all.

ckparrothead said:
The Dolphins moved on without John Offerdahl, a little guy named Zach Thomas came along and made us forget all about him. The Dolphins will move on without Zach Thomas too, and I'm thinking a big guy named Channing Crowder will help us forget about him...in due time.

man zach is like replaceing marino and look we still haven't

rookieholdout said:
no need for calling everyobdy losers, thats just mean.

and man yes u are a loser if u think zach's good days are behind him he is still as great as he was every other year

phin lockeroom said:
and man yes u are a loser if u think zach's good days are behind him he is still as great as he was every other year

You should read the TOS.

phin lockeroom said:
man zach is like replaceing marino and look we still haven't

Zach compared to Marino......first become a Dolphin fan and realize reality.....Zach is great no doubt, but no Marino......

phin lockeroom said:

and if u r calling people losers......see u later....

Back
Top Bottom