Is Zack the next cut in 2006 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Zack the next cut in 2006

Finland said:
I have found myself wondering where Zack is at these days as far as years left and, more so, how good is he really (compared to the elite players at his position) Our defense worked well most of the time, but it was built around him, so he would be free to roam and make plays.

It seems like he could be exposed at critical times by the teams with the firepower to make the plays needed to do so. Sort of like a boxing match where the guy losing just waits and sets the winner (MLB in this case) up to receive a nice knock out punch.

Does anyone see him being less effective this year with a new system?
Has he really been slightly overrated, even though he's obviously very good?

a very interesting viewpoint... i had similar opinions of *gasp* Dan Marino as early as '96 ... when he got hurt in the colt game that year, i really felt he came down another huge notch in mobility and effectiveness -- further beyond the achillies' deterioration of three years prior...

similarly, i love zach and have a very hard, hard time accepting he is/will soon be declining... speaking of '96, that was Zach's rookie year... and to me, it still seems like yesterday.. realizing he's entering his 10TH YEAR is hard to fathom....

he deserves to reap his current fat contract... but beyond that, from a business standpoint, his number will haveta come down significantly to remain a dolphin... in my opinion...

dolphinman23 said:
zach was a baddass in college, the only reason he slipped in the draft was because scouts thought he was too small for the pros, he is not a "product of the systsm" as u said, especially a base 4-3 system that is not as effective as other systems.

Zach is still in his prime, he still led the team in tackles last yea,r even though he had some injuries, he is the heart and soul of the defense, and without him u lose not only a future HOF LB, but the heart of the defense.

Zach retires a dolphin after the 2009 season

Could not agree more with you until that last sentence. It really depends on what happens in the future.

Zach's comments early in this pre-season were: Anyone can get cut but there will always be a place for me in the NFL. That's because I haven't lost a step.

When he does lose a step, realizes it and takes a paycut he will retire a Dolphin. If the team and he do not agree on this point he will be history as I don't think Saban is too sentimental.

Zach's cap charge in 2007 is going to be $7.987 million with no further renegotiations. If pending replacements play as well and do not have knee problems Zach may have to take a paycut in 2006.

Thomas, Zach
Salary History
1999 350000.00
2000 413000.00
2001 3750000.00
2002 3950000.00
2003 655000.00
2004 660000.00
2005 3500000.00
2006 4950000.00
2007 5,650,000.00
2008 5650000.00

Finland said:
I have found myself wondering where Zack is at these days as far as years left and, more so, how good is he really (compared to the elite players at his position) Our defense worked well most of the time, but it was built around him, so he would be free to roam and make plays.

He was good enough to have the team built around him, so that says a lot.

I have seem him exposed many times however, especially on plays over the middle when he was forced into pass coverage and especially having to help out in the back field.

It seems like he could be exposed at critical times by the teams with the firepower to make the plays needed to do so. Sort of like a boxing match where the guy losing just waits and sets the winner (MLB in this case) up to receive a nice knock out punch.

Does anyone see him being less effective this year with a new system?
Has he really been slightly overrated, even though he's obviously very good?
With the changing Defense, who he have been a better cap casualty than Surtain? His Cap number is massive like Taylor, but Taylor is clearly a stud.

Oviously Saban feels no. OR he feels that it would be like killing Jesus in the eyes of most fans. It would affect ticket sales and would his undoing if the Fins struggled on Defense.

Any thoughts by those that know more than I.
If Zach ever leaves Mia he would most definatley be traded versed released. I mean the guy basically leads the entire NFL in tackles year in and year out.

Secondly, if he did get traded then I could see Taylor following soon there after.

If this is the last year for Z. Thomas to be a dolphin thean it will be time for Channing Crowder to get his turn at the position

Finland said:
I have seem him exposed many times however, especially on plays over the middle when he was forced into pass coverage and especially having to help out in the back field.

It seems like he could be exposed at critical times by the teams with the firepower to make the plays needed to do so. Sort of like a boxing match where the guy losing just waits and sets the winner (MLB in this case) up to receive a nice knock out punch.QUOTE]

Seriously, how many ILB's aren't exposed over teh middle for big plays. The hope for any offense is to either get their slot reciever or their elite tight end matched up with a linebacker. We are no different. IMO, Zach may not be the best pass covering MLB, but he's top 5. We should realize that he's a MLB, not a safety, can't do everything on the field. As long as he doesn't miss the tackle when given the opportunity, he's fine.

Saban will find out Zach (and Taylor) are special talents and I am confident he's smart enough to find ways to use them.

IMO, those guys future with Miami depends more on how the offense performs this year more than anything. They'll be back if Saban only has to make a few moves on offense like this year (4 free agents, 2 draft picks) and gets to commit the majority of free agent signings/draft picks on defensive needs (especially DT & S). If he's got to make a lot of moves on both, I would be surprised if ZT & JT are not traded. :cry:

Crowder does not have size over Spragan. Crowder may be a little heavier, but Spragan is taller. Crowder is a better player than Spragan, or at least he will eventually be, but that doesn't mean Crowder's best spot will be SSLB.

Zach is going to have some tough salaries to swallow ahead of him. And no, he's no Dan Marino. He is a lot like Offerdahl, who was one bad man at LB. We forgot all about him when ZT came to town, and people have still forgotten about him. I think we have a rising star in Channing Crowder, and he'll make people forget about Zach too.

I think Saban sees the talent in Thomas and Taylor so thats why he even kept them this year and thats why he signed some older players on defense to compliment them (Tebucky and Kevin Carter). But in 2 years from now I think Saban will want this team to be younger and mostly his players. Ive never been a big fan of Zach Thomas, I think in many ways hes more of a weakness then a strength (Hes almost useless without a good d-line). But with Taylor, Carter, Chester, Bowens (hopefully) and maybe even Traylor (hopefully). I do like the idea of letting Zach just run around and make tackles (which is pretty much all hes good at). For what Zach does he shouldnt be paid top dollar, so Id expect him to be gone by next year. I think Taylor could stay longer (although he could be gone by next year also) because Im sure Saban sees the value of having the best pass rusher in the game even if he doesnt fit the scheme. Well thats just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom