Isaac Bruce | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isaac Bruce

rhadaddy

Who's your daddy?
Reaction score
I hear people mentioning his name and how he wants to end his career with the fins and home. I don't see him listed as a free agent, so is there news that he wants to leave St. Louis or that he's a potential cap casualty or is this all specuation?

just rumors, like everything else... possible that he gets cut, and if he does, hed like to play in miami, i believe his family is there.

I don't know if I like him. He's one of those ultra religious players which is all fine and good until he starts hatin on other guys in the locker room for it. I remember when Derrick Thomas got in that car crash and ended up dying, Isaac Bruce was asked what he thinks about it and he said that he believes in the power of Jesus name and that when he gets in trouble he just says "Jesus!" and he gets through...said he got in a car crash himself and was scared and just called out Jesus name and he protected him. Kinda insinuated that if Derrick believed and did that he would have survived too. Really turned me off to him I think.

I didn't know he was from the Miami area. He's nice and polished though, Chris Chambers did a lot of film study of Bruce when he was tryin to become a top flight receiver. How old is Isaac exactly? Anyone know?

he is scheduled to make 4.7 mil next year - http://nflpa.org/members/playerProfile.asp?ID=20711 - so he is likely to be cut by the Rams. I believe he attend Ely High (or something like that) in So. East Fla. and was born in Fort Lauderdale.

considering his near-HOF stats and the fact that he is only going to be 32, I would love to see us get him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=2914

Like Brunell is another guy making huge money that w/need to take a big pay cut to play here

Originally posted by dolphan39
he is scheduled to make 4.7 mil next year - http://nflpa.org/members/playerProfile.asp?ID=20711 - so he is likely to be cut by the Rams. I believe he attend Ely High (or something like that) in So. East Fla. and was born in Fort Lauderdale.

considering his near-HOF stats and the fact that he is only going to be 32, I would love to see us get him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=2914

Like Brunell is another guy making huge money that w/need to take a big pay cut to play here

He graduated from Dillard in Ft.Lauderdale and has stated on many occasions that he was a huge Fin Fan growing up and would love to play for the Fins if he had to leave the Rams.

He'll be 32 next year November

I didn't know he was from the Miami area. He's nice and polished though, Chris Chambers did a lot of film study of Bruce when he was tryin to become a top flight receiver. How old is Isaac exactly? Anyone know?

He's from Ft. Lauderdale so I can see where the rumors could've started. He may be a religous freak, however he's put up some numbers and he doesn't seem to be declining much. here's last year's numbers

REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2003 69 981 14.2 41 5 2 17 8.5 14 0 0 0

69 receptions for 981 yds and he missed a few games this past season with an ankle injury. He by far would be a better #2 option than anyone we have and probably any possible FA given he'd probably come relatively cheap. The only downside is his age, so he'd probably be a 1-2 yr fix at most. He may be a religous freak but he's always seemed like a class act and he seems very bussiness like. The thought of having a good qb chambers, bruce, mcmicheal, Konrad and ricky with a solid ol is very intriuging, but I was under the impression that he was a FA this year and he isn't, so unless he's making some obscene amount of money and STL just can't afford him I don't see why they would cut him when all he does is produce.

Come to think of it, I remember when Tory Holt was lobying to become the #1 option in his contract year a few years back and Bruce was classy about the whole situation, I don't think he'd be a lockeroom cancer, if anything he'd a prime candidate for Miami given his demeanor and character.

Re: He'll be 32 next year November

Originally posted by rhadaddy

He's from Ft. Lauderdale so I can see where the rumors could've started. He may be a religous freak, however he's put up some numbers and he doesn't seem to be declining much. here's last year's numbers

REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2003 69 981 14.2 41 5 2 17 8.5 14 0 0 0

69 receptions for 981 yds and he missed a few games this past season with an ankle injury. He by far would be a better #2 option than anyone we have and probably any possible FA given he'd probably come relatively cheap. The only downside is his age, so he'd probably be a 1-2 yr fix at most. He may be a religous freak but he's always seemed like a class act and he seems very bussiness like. The thought of having a good qb chambers, bruce, mcmicheal, Konrad and ricky with a solid ol is very intriuging, but I was under the impression that he was a FA this year and he isn't, so unless he's making some obscene amount of money and STL just can't afford him I don't see why they would cut him when all he does is produce.

Come to think of it, I remember when Tory Holt was lobying to become the #1 option in his contract year a few years back and Bruce was classy about the whole situation, I don't think he'd be a lockeroom cancer, if anything he'd a prime candidate for Miami given his demeanor and character.

I like the no fumbles stat too.

He may be better than what we have now...but hes too old. The LAST thing we need is more old Vets on this team. I swear if all we do is FA again this yr we will be so screwed in 5 years. Our whole Offense and Defense will be old. We will be the next Oakland Raiders. This year we need a ROOKIE WR that will be explosive and start soon as he is signed. We need a ROOKIE QB to sit back and watch while we have another guy take over, maybe he can even start (depends on what QB we get) I mean Bruce would be great and all but we can get a much greater prospect out of the draft that will last us for his career instead of 1-2 years. When you have such great WRs in this draft forget about Bruce, Minnis is still very young so hes not a problem at all.

on O at least: Ricky, Chamber and McMichael (and D Lee) are young. We have 3 young WRs on the roster that got PT last year in Simmons, Tolver and Newson. I can see us drafting a WR at some point or signing a street FA like Newson from NFLE and signing a solid #2 WR like Bruce. I just wonder if Bruce w/b great in bad weather

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I don't know if I like him. He's one of those ultra religious players which is all fine and good until he starts hatin on other guys in the locker room for it. I remember when Derrick Thomas got in that car crash and ended up dying, Isaac Bruce was asked what he thinks about it and he said that he believes in the power of Jesus name and that when he gets in trouble he just says "Jesus!" and he gets through...said he got in a car crash himself and was scared and just called out Jesus name and he protected him. Kinda insinuated that if Derrick believed and did that he would have survived too. Really turned me off to him I think.

CK, the religion of Jesus Christ shouldn't scare you, and if it does, you haven't been reading your bible :=), but going on Man's logic, which by God's standards, pales in comparison. Issac is from Ft. Lauderdale Fl. I knew him as a little boy trying to hang around us older guys when we played sports. Didn't know he would be as good as he is. My mother still talks and keep in contact with his mother, I was much older than he and didn't get to know him as much. But his views on Christ should never be held against him or scare you. You really need to relook your religious stands, especially if what you quoted was all he said. That was really nothing finatical about that. Most who are christian, understand where they blessings and life comes from. If you don't believe, just say I don't believe, but to use your statement as to why a person scares you is really lacking. Get to know why someone believes the way they do before you down them. This country has become so intolerant of People who believe in a higher being, yet don't know the answers themselves, until you find a better answer than a creator (i.e., God). Then those kinds of comment are offensives to people like me who believe in Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty of signing someone like Bruce

Originally posted by Phinfan31
He may be better than what we have now...but hes too old. The LAST thing we need is more old Vets on this team. I swear if all we do is FA again this yr we will be so screwed in 5 years. Our whole Offense and Defense will be old. We will be the next Oakland Raiders. This year we need a ROOKIE WR that will be explosive and start soon as he is signed. We need a ROOKIE QB to sit back and watch while we have another guy take over, maybe he can even start (depends on what QB we get) I mean Bruce would be great and all but we can get a much greater prospect out of the draft that will last us for his career instead of 1-2 years. When you have such great WRs in this draft forget about Bruce, Minnis is still very young so hes not a problem at all.

Is he wouldn't be signed as a long term solution becasue of his age but he's still very effective and will certainly garauntee shoring up the number 2 wr spot on our roster. I don't think if Miami signed him (if he got released b4 the draft) they would pass on taking a young stud wr in the draft becasue the draft is full of them. However given our new OC, possible new QB, having a rookie learning from an all pro and future all pro receiver for the first season or so coupled with the fact that we do have JR Tolver and Sam Simmons on our roster, a little veteran depth of his caliber wouldn't be so bad.

i doubt that the rams will cut him, if they do they only have holt left as the only proven WR on that team, curtis and mcdonald and looker would be the only other WR on that team

Some have said we have too many Vets on this team already and adding Bruce would be making it worse. I dont agree. With the Vets you know what you are getting. Its very rare you can get a great (wr in this case) VIA free agency and be able to afford him. Typically you need to get an older vet or draft and hope the youngster can contribute right away. If you look at NE, they are stocked with Vets. Some that are even borderline no-namers. I say bring him in if we get the chance. I would also not shy away from drafting a young WR stud if we get Bruce. The offense could look like the Denver at the skill positions.
Portis/Davis=Williams
Smith=CC (but younger)
McCaferty=Bruce
Lililie = draftee (clayton)
Sharp = McMike
Etc.
I like the idea of being able to front 3 killer WRs.

i wouldnt mind a vet on offense since the closest thing we had to a leader in the huddle was fiedler. the offense is young and no one on the line or at the skill positions is known for being a leader. Also, rookie WRs typically dont come in and produce right away, so if by chacne bruce becomes available i think we should consider him, hopefully get a home town discount while he and chambers groom a young guy from the draft.

Listen I don't need a bible lecture here. What I was complaining about with regards to the Derrick Thomas thing was that he was INSINUATING that had Derrick Thomas done the same thing he wouldn't have died. I'm not gettin into it about any kind of religious discussion, I just thought that was flat out wrong to do. He kind of questioned Derrick's faith.

Back
Top Bottom