It's beginning to look like Peyton Manning WILL be available! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's beginning to look like Peyton Manning WILL be available!

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
ESPN's "The Hot List" reports that the Colts have now stated that they will likely place the "Franchise" tag on Peyton because they have reached an impass in negotiations..............

I know that if Peyton is tagged........the colts can match any offer.......But I heard that there are ways of making it impossible for the Colts to match through incentives and such.........

The one that I heard is, That the Fins can put a clause in Peyton's contract that if he throws for more than 4,000 yards in 2004......we pay him an additional 10 million.........4,000 is a number that he would easily reach in Indy....but with our Run oriented "O" .......it would be tough...............

It looks like it can happen....................

Peyton will be with the Colts next year even if they have to cut 5 or 6 starters. No chance he plays elsewhere next year.

Guys......they cannot put a gun to Peyton's head to sign...............they can only match................

It CAN happen.

A franchise tag on Manning would cost the Colts $18.3 M according to John Clayton.

That is more than I would pay for any one player.

it can, but it most likely wont. Plus, where the heck would we get the cap room to sign him? We'd have to cut like, 10 starters...lol.

Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
it can, but it most likely wont. Plus, where the heck would we get the cap room to sign him? We'd have to cut like, 10 starters...lol.

10?? Hell, to get Manning we would have to cut 90 percent of our starting defense to even THINK of getting him.

I just don't see why he would want to leave Indy. They had a better team than Miami last year. He has an incredible WR in Harrison and a much better O-Line than Miami and alot of other teams.

The only reason I could see him wanting to leave is if Indy won't have as good of a team in 2004...or if somehow he feels that being on a team with a better defense will take some pressure off of him to carry the team week after week. Otherwise it makes no sense for him.

If Dan Marino was still here as the VP I would have been a little more optimistic about this happening but I still would doubt it could but you never know!!!

Yes...the Colts have a better offense but a better defense...no way...he's probably sick that he always has to carry the team...so if he came to Miami...Miami would instantly be better than the Colts...he's the missing piece...by staying in Indy...status quo...but by going to Miami...a much better team than Indy!!!

Sal, bro as much as I have pipe dreams about Manning in the Aqua and Orange, it's not happening.. Eli, maybe... Peyton, no way.. Indianapolis will keep him at all costs.

I find it rather hilarious that these topics come up. yea, he may get tagged, but there is just no way in the world that the Dolphins sign him.

We are the second worse team in the league when it comes to being over the cap. We will be lucky to even field half our defense from last year, let alone be a player in F.A.

A topic coming up on ATH is: "Does Indy have enough dough to keep Peyton AROUND?.......the horn................

Originally posted by dolfan87
We will be lucky to even field half our defense from last year, let alone be a player in F.A.

:confused:

Why would we LOSE players?
They are ALL under contract (except Ogun)......

BTW, the same crap was recycled last year........(Cap Jail, Cut the whole D, We are 80 billion over the cap, etc....etc....)

:boring:

I think Indy's prospects for next year are looking good. They've got a group of young talent on defense which includes Freeney, Thornton, Doss, and Harper who are just getting better...and are pretty cheap right now. On offense they've got Harrison and Wayne, a great tandem (and Wayne is nice and cheap at the moment), they've got Edgerrin and about 3 more RBs who are actually capable of running the ball really well (Rhodes, Mungro, and Williams). They are getting rid of Adam Meadows but he had already lost the job to Ryan Diem.

The best way to cut almost $15 million of salary off the Colts salary cap? Cut Adam Meadows, Chad Bratzke, and Brock Huard. Each has almost a $5 million dollar base salary, and thats a laundry list of cuts that I think ANY team can deal with. From there Brandon Stokley has a $1.2 million base salary that can be reduced by either cutting or restructuring him, and I'm sure they'll be knockin down Walt Harris' door about his $2.2 million base salary. And of course, Harrison's got a $5.6 million salary just itching to be turned into bonus. From here, the problem gets tricky. I don't know exactly how far over the cap they are...but I do know they have to fit Peyton's $18 million under it if they tag him. So if you cut Meadows, Huard, and Bratzke, restructure Stokley, Harris, and Harrison...I'm guessing that after signing bonuses get through, the Colts will have saved something close to $18 million. I'm looking at the total of their base salaries for 2004 and if they are over the cap its cuz they have lots of signing bonus out there eating at them.

The problem after that though, is that hardly anyone else on the team has base salaries above a million. Rob Morris ($1m), Brad Scioli ($1.3m), and Edgerrin James ($1.3m) are the only ones. This means that they have 7 RFAs they need to tender, that they probably cannot afford to tender!

TE Joe Dean Davenport (undrafted)
FS Cory Bird (3rd Round)
SS Jason Doering (6th Round)
RB Dominic Rhodes (undrafted)
LG Rick DeMulling (6th round i think)
RT Ryan Diem (4th round i think)
CB Nick Harper (undrafted i think)

The last three of those guys would be the most interesting prospects to us, the Dolphins. Harper finished his 3rd year as a pro with a bang and he did extremely well in Dungy's system. Diem actually beat Meadows for the start at RT and he can play guard too. DeMulling was a pretty good LG for them this year as well.

If the Peyton Manning situation goes down the tubes with the franchise tag being placed, I think THESE are the dudes you gotta look at...cuz I think the Colts will do whatever is in their power to keep Peyton even with a "poison pill" type contract. Of course once he's out there teams can begin negotiating and I think there's a lot of them that would be willing to give their two first round picks for Manning. Heck Miami would probably trade for New England's #32 pick just to be able to do it.

BTW that 4000 yard idea is a pretty good one...but would Manning and his agent go for it knowing they wouldn't have much chance of reaching it in Miami?

Back
Top Bottom