It's beginning to look like Peyton Manning WILL be available! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's beginning to look like Peyton Manning WILL be available!

Originally posted by Section126
ESPN's "The Hot List" reports that the Colts have now stated that they will likely place the "Franchise" tag on Peyton because they have reached an impass in negotiations..............

I know that if Peyton is tagged........the colts can match any offer.......But I heard that there are ways of making it impossible for the Colts to match through incentives and such.........

The one that I heard is, That the Fins can put a clause in Peyton's contract that if he throws for more than 4,000 yards in 2004......we pay him an additional 10 million.........4,000 is a number that he would easily reach in Indy....but with our Run oriented "O" .......it would be tough...............

It looks like it can happen....................
Even if we did put in a clause Indy couldn't match, there are 10 other teams that could do the same to us.

Yeah like take a team with a bad record (ehem Arizona ehem) they could negotiate a clause that says if they win 8 games, they pay out a huge bonus. If the Cards are able to do that in Denny's first year that would be great the fans would be so happy, it would probably be worth the bonus to them. Meanwhile the Colts probably win 8 games in their SLEEP with Peyton at the helm so if they match they know they'll be payin out that bonus.

If the agent likes that idea better than the 4000 yard idea because its more achievable for Peyton, there's not much we can do. Besides there's teams out there with LOTS of room available.

If Peyton ends up in the NFC.....it would still be a victory for us............

It is a win win to go after him if possible.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
I just don't see why he would want to leave Indy. They had a better team than Miami last year. He has an incredible WR in Harrison and a much better O-Line than Miami and alot of other teams.

The only reason I could see him wanting to leave is if Indy won't have as good of a team in 2004...or if somehow he feels that being on a team with a better defense will take some pressure off of him to carry the team week after week. Otherwise it makes no sense for him.

He won't win a SB there in all likely hood. He's going to count a heft 23% of their TOTAL salary cap if he fights to leave. Even if he dumbs down his contract Edge and Harrison are near impossible to keep with the money he's set to make. He's a great QB IMO, but he's going to do a Marino if he stays there. The team will have less and less money as they pour it into him, and have none of it to surround him with any decent talent.

That said, if he goes ELSEWHERE (he's always liked miami) he might sign for less. He received some flak in Indy the last couple years being blamed for no playoff wins. Now they won't give him what he thinks he "deserves" (which he does IMO it's jsut a crippling some to any team) it's just someone spitting in his face. If he goes somewhere he likes, I bet he'd restructure to help build talent around him.

Great QB's rarely ever change teams in mid-career. It would be much more believable if we were talking about a QB who is on his last leg. Peyton will be a Colt next year.

Edgerrin and Harrison are not impossible to keep with Peyton's contract there. I've seen the numbers. And if they lose Edgerrin sometime in the near future, its not a big deal. He's not the same player he was prior to his first ACL injury, and he's always said he'll have a shorter career anyway because he's interested in being able to walk when he's 50.

Just get ryan diem at RT and call it a day. Draft Rivers and another OL in first round, get a steal WR in third and walla... we have a team.

not that easy but that would be how i would think.

They'll never let Manning go, but in a worst case scenario, they could lose Marvin Harrison.

If the Colts really don't want Peyton to go anywhere they can tender him as an exclusive franchise player. They would then have exclusive negotiating rights.

Yet they could still sign and trade the same day even with no cap room to sign him.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Yeah like take a team with a bad record (ehem Arizona ehem) they could negotiate a clause that says if they win 8 games, they pay out a huge bonus. If the Cards are able to do that in Denny's first year that would be great the fans would be so happy, it would probably be worth the bonus to them. Meanwhile the Colts probably win 8 games in their SLEEP with Peyton at the helm so if they match they know they'll be payin out that bonus.

I thought you couldn't do that in the NFL? I know in the NHL, the Carolina Hurricanes signed then-RFA Sergei Fedorov to a deal that gave him a $6M bonus for reaching the conference finals, as a way to deter the Red Wings from matching. The deal was upheld there, but I thought the NFL didn't allow you to do that.

You can do it in the NFL I believe.

I wouldn't really want Ryan Diem to play RT. If you look at the production of the RBs on the Colts this season they had a real hard time running to the right side. Every RB had this trouble too, not just like Edgerrin. In 2002 they ran to the right just as well as the left...when Meadows was playing. If we're replacing Wade at RT I wanna guy that can really handle the job like Tait or Clifton or somethin.

It doesn't really matter to me if Manning becomes a free agent, because we simply don't have the money to sign him.

I think the Colts will do whatever possible to resign Manning. If they have to release 10 players, they will. Peyton will be playing in Indy next season.

:confused:

Why would we LOSE players?
They are ALL under contract (except Ogun)......

BTW, the same crap was recycled last year........(Cap Jail, Cut the whole D, We are 80 billion over the cap, etc....etc....)

:boring:

Because we are like 10 million over the cap now, and something has to happen to even get under it. So we have to either re-structure guys, OR make the "hard choices" Rick Spielman was talking about a few weeks ago, and CUT some defensive guys.

You have to remember that we have no right tackle as of March 3rd. Toss Wade, err I mean Todd Wade is a F.A.

We also have to address the QB, and OL spots. There just isn't enough money to go around.

ESPN's "The Hot List" reports that the Colts have now stated that they will likely place the "Franchise" tag on Peyton because they have reached an impass in negotiations..............

I know that if Peyton is tagged........the colts can match any offer.......But I heard that there are ways of making it impossible for the Colts to match through incentives and such.........

The one that I heard is, That the Fins can put a clause in Peyton's contract that if he throws for more than 4,000 yards in 2004......we pay him an additional 10 million.........4,000 is a number that he would easily reach in Indy....but with our Run oriented "O" .......it would be tough...............

It looks like it can happen....................

These "poison pill" clauses are no longer allowed. The Colts signed Bills OT Will Wolford way back during the SB years to a contract that contained both performance-based and salary-based "poison pill" clauses. He was allowed to go the Colts but the CBA was amended to prevent it.

Also, if the Colts were to put the "Exculsive" franchise tag on Manning...no team can talk to him. If "Non-exclusive" then teams can talk to him but it would cost 2 #1's. Colts will put the "exclusive" tag on him

Also, that type of clause would be likely because it would be based on Manning's previous performance, thus it would count in full. That's $10 million on the cap, y'all don't have it :shakeno:

Champagne dreans on beer money!

Back
Top Bottom