It's Chicago Bears Deja Vu Again | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Chicago Bears Deja Vu Again

Look, I just read the morning sports and I want to build a bonfire out of the 2 sports sections I get each morning. Just when I thought it was safe theres' Fiedler picture on the front page. Marvez writes," Fiedler might want to stay after all." Might want to stay???!!! Who wants him???? I'm tired of his crappy brand of Football, I'm tired of watching him play caretaker Q.B. with 27 guys in the box to stop Rickey!!! C'mon, no defense has a shread of fear for Jay Fiedler. What now???? If Rivers is there at #20 we pass on him because we have Jay. And yes, we get to pay him 3.7 million dollars. This is Wannstedts doing all the way and I despise him for it. The only scenario that would keep me from blowing my top would be to sign Jay and trade him for something of value. Then I'd be elated but like #57 says Wannstedt loves his Jayboy and he can't see that Jay is part of the problem. A big part. This off-season has been a total embarrsment from the Marino thing to the G. M. debacle to keeping Dave and on and on as Jimmie Johnson would say. The one good thing was that we finally were going to blow Fiedler out of here and maybe draft a future star at Q.B. like Rivers or Losman. We brought Feeley in/ great move in my opinion but now like an infected boil on your *** that keeps coming back here's Jay Fiedler on the front of my sports page to desimate my Monday morning. What on Gods great green earth does it take to get this guy off my beloved Dolphins?

I can understand (somewhat) the backlash against Fiedler, but at the same time we've seen a significant problem in the last couple years at the backup QB position. Many articles have said that Fiedler would be the best backup available, which I think has value to the team, particularly when he's already familiar with the system.

As for Feeley, who knows, he might be great, or he might not be. But if he can't beat out Jay in camp, does he deserve to start anyway?

I still think Speilman is calling the shots now and is covering his bases to see what comes up - QBs in the draft, QBs in FA, if necessary, or even an open competition. I don't expect Fiedler to get a 'bye' to the starting position the way he seemed to in other camps. But I also don't mind him coming off the bench if the starting QB is injured.

Gentlemen, thank you for your positive responses. To further explain my point, please understand that my main concern is the lack of leadership. I believe it is pointless to direct blame at individual players, such as Mare or Smith. For every bad example you offer, I can easily counter by saying we also had the league leading rusher (Ricky), the sack leader (both Jason and Wale), and the leader in tackles 2 years ago (Zack), not to mention one of the top-ranked defenses, etc. There are and have been plenty of good players who have put amazing statistics. As JJ used to say, "stats are for losers."

A leader stands up and admits his mistakes and then declares, "no more excuses!" A leader plays the hand he's dealt and then has the determination and willpower to believe he can still win (see Bill Bellichick) even if its not a very good hand (injuries, etc). A strong leader would be telling us exactly how he plans to fix this mess of not going to the playoffs two years in a row, especially with the talent we've had. A leader would also not be stuck in the past or wasting his time defending individual players (Fiedler) who may not even be here. Instead, he would be squarely focused on the upcoming season.

Instead of making ridiculous statements, like "we're very close," when we've missed the playoffs two years in a row, Wanny needs to admit we need a major roster purge (as Spielman is now doing) and make some bold moves. We have the Super Bowl champs in our division and they have a boatload of picks coming up in the draft. Why is our Head Coach crying about losing a QB who was won a grand total of 1 playoff game in 4 years? He wants him back with no pay cut..... Are you nuts? We need the money for new blood, not some recycled aging, banged-up QB who can't take us to the promised land!

My main complaint with Wanny is that he has always played to not lose, instead of being bold enough to win. I like Spielman's attitude though. He seems like a tough, win-now, son-of-a-gun who accepts the responsibility of leadership. As I stated before, we are the winningest team of all time. We demand more and should get it. Playing not to lose just isn't good enough

I'm with you all the way #57. One plus is that we did go out and get Marc Trestman, a guy I have respect for. I believe the Trestman / Feeley combo will be productive. I live 5 minutes from Dolphin Camp and always go to about 10 practices so I'll get to see this Q.B. competition first hand and I hope it isn't rigged like the Jay/Damon thing. Does anybody see us signing Jay and then trading him? Wannstedt is not cutthroat enough to do that but maybe Spielman is. Maybe we could get a #2 this year to equal out the one we gave to the Pats. I would be very impressed with Spielman if he dealt Jay and got value in return but I don't know if it's really doable. Wanny would freakout I'm sure. Well, in parting, if we're stuck with Jay at least keep him on the bench. I'm not blind to the good things he's done, ex. Redskin game coming in for the ineffective Griese and saving the day, the Dallas game, he kicked their butts, but all in all these good outings are far outweighed by the ones where we lose the Football game because of him. Man, we've seen what he can do let's see someone else and we should grab Rivers if he's available to us at #20.

Originally posted by FinFan57
I live in sunny South Florida, but I am starting to feel the bone-chilling cold of the "lake effect" from Chicago, the former residence of one Dave Wannstedt.

Bear fans will remind us of the hope Wanny brought them his first season and the continual decline in the years after brought on by poor personnel decisions (sound familiar?) Let's face it, Wanny is an excellent assistant coach who will always support his players first (see Jay Fiedler) failing to see the big picture, as only tunnel-vision, hard-nosed coaches, such as Shula, Lombardi, Noles, etc were so adept at. In fact, I feel that is the main difference between Wanny and his AFC East counterpart Bill Bellichick. Bellichick had no problem ejecting a great player like Lawyer Milloy because he has supreme confidence in his system and is focused on the big picture, winning. With Wanny, we always feel like we're witnessing a counseling session from Stuart Little of Saturday Night Live (You don't have Dumbo ears, everyone in South Florida loves you, and gosh darnit I love you!)

Back to the "lake effect" of this offseason....The chilling separation we are witnessing between Spielman's desire to turn this team around and Wanny's Florence Nightingale impression to save the dead weight that has caused us to miss two playoffs in a row is disturbing. It's "an every man for himself" attitude in Dolphin Land these days, with Marino jumping ship, Spielman saying "damn the torpedos," Wanny drowning in his own cesspool of bad decisions, and Huzienga apparently guiding this Titanic through shark-infested waters. This ship needs a rudder and quick.

If Wannstedt ever hopes to be a successful head coach in this league, he needs to take off his Girl Scout Leader uniform and grow some major gonads. The only thing we've heard from this guy is that he wants the most villified professional athlete in South Florida, Jay Fiedler, back at no pay cut. Didn't we just hear that AJ Feely is our new quarterback? I don't want to hear about your love affair with Fiedler, I want to know what in the h*** you're going to do about this team and what plans you have to get us into the Super Bowl. Does anybody think New England or Carolina was that much better than us last year? We need leadership now!

Yes, we Dolphin fans are tough. May I remind everyone that we are the number one winningest franchise in all of sports; we had the winningest coach of all time (Shula), the greatest quarterback of all time (Marino), and the only undefeated team in modern sports history (for all team sports). We deserve better. Will we be bitter like the Bears fans, or will we finally live up to the proud heritage of the greatest team in sports this year? It's up to you Dave.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree....

Dave has become a much better HC since is days in Chicago. He's learned quite a bit since then, and it makes him better. He's still learning, as are all coaches....

What did "the great coaching genius" Jimmy Johnson ever do for us???....

Considering how great Jimmy was supppose to be, I actually think Dave has done a better job than him since joining us in 2000. Call me crazy, but I think Dave is a good HC....

He's not a great HC, but there are only about three of them currently coaching right now IMO....

1. Bellichick
2. Parcells
3. Vermeil

Other notables are Billick, Reid, and Holmgren...

PHINZ RULE!!!

:pirate:

As long as Spielman has some "master plan" that involves resigning Jay to a cap friendly contract - and then trading him away to the Redskins for Ramsey (along with a #3 or 4 pick) I will be happy. :)

I keep harping on this, but it would be a good deal for both parties. Gibbs gets another vet QB, we get two young guys to compete and either could be the starter for years to come. Ramsey will be holding out anyway, so why would he not want to come here and have a very real shot at being #1? I'd have no problems with Feeley being #2, he showed he can manage part of a season if needed in Philly.

I keep hoping it turns out like this anyway.

Back
Top Bottom