It's time to grow a pair | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's time to grow a pair

phins1984

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Every year miami tells the fans and anyone who'll listen that they know what areas of the team needs to be worked on. They have done a decent job so far, in free agency, but if they are presented with an opportunity to take that next "big" step towards a championship, they have to take it.

Granted there have been alot of rumors floating around (ie. Randy Moss rumor, David Boston rumor). If there is any chance of these rumors being true, miami has to shed it's conservative approach and go after it.

Miami has said that they need to get another receiver to take pressure off of Chris Chambers and to get teams to stop focusing on Ricky. Even though David Boston has some question marks, I feel miami has to make this move. Instead of getting some third string receiver and crossing their fingers, hoping he works out (Derrius Thompson), miami has to go out and get a proven receiver that opposing teams have to worry about covering. Plus Jerry Sullivan worked with Boston in Arizona and Boston had one of his best years ever.

Plus if miami traded for Boston it would free up other options for their 20th pick in the first round. That way they might not have to draft a receiver. They could look into drafting a QB or an offensive lineman. Plus their pursuit of linemen hasn't gone all that smooth, so far.

Also a move like this would at least show the fans that they are truly committed to improving this team and are taking some risks to try and get this team over the top, finally.

No chance, we don't have the guts.. We won't make a trade.. Last amazing thing we did was the Ricky trade... that was an amazing year..

First of all we cant gamble giving him a big salary especially when we have to pay CHAMBERS next year if Boston would take an incentive contract yes I would offer a 3rd rd pick

let boston earn his money for a year and then sign him to a big contract, we have to take care of ricky and chambers, not to mention ogun. but a third rounder next year that is ok to get him and give it a shot

Originally posted by phins1984
Also a move like this would at least show the fans that they are truly committed to improving this team and are taking some risks to try and get this team over the top, finally.

I disagree. It may show YOU that they're serious. But I'm already convinced. And I'm not in favor of a Boston trade. I feel there is FAR more risk than reward.

Re: Re: It's time to grow a pair

Originally posted by Muck

I disagree. It may show YOU that they're serious. But I'm already convinced. And I'm not in favor of a Boston trade. I feel there is FAR more risk than reward.

Where do you see the risk Muck? This seems like a very low risk deal to me.

I would rather Spielman stick to his plan and not pay any attention to what fans think this team needs.

It's his job to find the right pieces and make it work. My job is to sit back and watch it happen.

:eat:

#1 He has a large contract that will require restructuring. So we will have to make some kind of significant financial commitment to him.

#2 he has produced big results in only two of his five seasons. The last being 2001.

#3 his character, toughness, attitude, dedication to football, and commitment to the team concept have been in question for years.

#4 He's been alligator-arming passes the last two years.

#5 He likes to be huge. And yet his joints can't support that weight. He's already blown out a knee.

#6 He tested positive for cocaine and marijuana after being arrested for DUI last year.

I agree that he's an immensly talented guy. And for a low round pick (6th or 7th that Pompeii hypothesized), it could work out. If he's up to snuff, he's a superstar.

But he hasn't been that guy in what will be three years. He's worn out his welcome in two cities now....searching for his third team in three years. And he's blown out a knee.

IMO he's like Jeff George. A dog with fleas. An elite talent that for one reason or another can't put it all together for more than a season at a time.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
I would rather Spielman stick to his plan and not pay any attention to what fans think this team needs.

It's his job to find the right pieces and make it work. My job is to sit back and watch it happen.

:eat:

Good post. :)

I too believe if you're looking at a guy like Boston, you have to look with alot of skepticism and caution. Maybe Boston would get his head on straight and perform to his ability. On the other hand, if he were to come here (whether with a reduced and restructured contract or not) and continued to underachieve. Our FO would (again) be declared a bunch of morons who are clueless. What were they thinking?
I can't say I'm dissatisfied with their efforts so far. Most of the guys that are signed immediately after the beginning of FA signings are overpayed. We probably overpaid J. James, for that matter. I believe we will have a good OL this year. Hell, quite a few back ups on other teams are better than some of the starters we let go. From what I've been reading there are still alot of solid OL UFA's. As for WR IMO the best pick up will be through the draft.

Originally posted by Muck
#1 He has a large contract that will require restructuring. So we will have to make some kind of significant financial commitment to him.

#2 he has produced big results in only 2 of his five seasons. The last being 2001.

#3 his character, toughness, attitude, dedication to football, and commitment to the team concept have been in question for years.

#4 He's been alligator-arming passes the last two years.

#5 He likes to be huge. And yet his joints can't support that weight. He's already blown out a knee.

#6 He tested positive for cocaine and marijuana after being arrested for DUI last year.

I agree that he's an immensly talented guy. And for a low round pick (6th or 7th that Pompeii hypothesized), it could work out. If he's up to snuff, he's a superstar.

But he hasn't been that guy in what will be three years. He's worn out his welcome in two cities now....searching for his third team in three years. And he's blown out a knee.

IMO he's like Jeff George. A dog with fleas. An elite talent that for one reason or another can't put it all together for more than a season at a time.

I don't agree with all the risks you see.

#1 The contract could be restructured, but if we don't then the signing bonus falls on SD. We could cut him at anytime and the only risk would be the current year's salary.

#2 Almost no rookie WR produces big so he gets a pass on year 1. The next 2 1/2 years he produced (under our current coach). He injured his knee and like most players he wasn't great the following season although he did respond the last half of the season.

#3 & #4 Despite this he has produced bigger #s than any Miami wr ever has.

#5 He had 1 injury. That may or may not be related to his size. Nobody knows people may speculate, but that is all it is speculation.

#6 This is a risk.

In short, you have young guy with the potential to be one of the best WRs in the league. This is the reward. The concern is that he flakes or is injured. The cost will be a mid round pick and 1 year's salary.

Problem is, it seems like every time we do something drastic and "grow a pair" we end up getting kicked in them.

the name Chris Carter ring a bell?

Originally posted by rafael

#1 The contract could be restructured, but if we don't then the signing bonus falls on SD. We could cut him at anytime and the only risk would be the current year's salary.

The signing bonus fall on SD anyway since they are the sending team. But his base salary for 2004 is $3.9 million. And I doubt the Dolphins are willing to pay a guy with alot to prove that much money.

#3 & #4 Despite this he has produced bigger #s than any Miami wr ever has.

But given the fact that he's insanely gifted....and his teams play from behind alot.....he should be far above any of our receivers. But his numbers weren't all that different from Chambers' last year. And we throw less than just about anyone else.

#5 He had 1 injury. That may or may not be related to his size. Nobody knows people may speculate, but that is all it is speculation.

Doesn't matter. He's already hurt that knee. His joints and ligaments aren't made to support that kind of weight on the football field. So he puts himself at risk.

We'll see what happens. I hope for the best whatever we do.

I suppose it is worth pointing out he has a large roster bonus due next week. That's why San Diego is trying to move him now.

Originally posted by Barbarian
Problem is, it seems like every time we do something drastic and "grow a pair" we end up getting kicked in them.

the name Chris Carter ring a bell?

More like Chris Carter was an act of desperation than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom