"I’ve got picks and money" | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I’ve got picks and money"

Our problem now is that we have gone forward with Ireland still here. To cut ties with him now after we have moved forward with a new coaching staff is dicey. I think we just have to hope that Philbin has enough influence and can do a nice job. We have to hope Ireland was the most competent of the Parcells, Ireland, Sparano trio. Hopefully, Ireland has less Parcellsitis than Sparano does. The cornfed picks scream Parcells and Sparano. You know Sparano had a huge influence on the 2011 draft. It looks as though Philbin and his staff had a huge influence on last years draft. After all, we went QB in round 1. Then when we went cornfed with Martin, it was a guy who fit what Philbin wants to do on offense. I think that pick was part of phasing out Long for the future.

I can see Ireland coming around. Lets see what happens. With all of the assets, if things dont get better next season it could be all over for not just Ireland, but even Philbin this early.

Also, dont expect all 5 of those first draft picks to hit. No team hits on every pick in rounds 1-3. I think it would be reasonable to expect 2 or 3 solid players. With 5 picks, I would hope at least one of them is an all pro caliber player. If we make the right moves there is no reason we shouldnt win more games next season. A lot is going to fall on Tannehill though. If he dosent play better next season, it isnt going to mean much if we get better players on offense. He has to step up. If he dosent, it could cost a lot of people their jobs.

I agree with all of what is posted above and next year is not going to break the phins if Ireland is still not the answer. If he performs like he has the past 3 years with the cap money we have and picks we have we will be in better shape next year roster wise than this year. Maybe not good enough and good enough for Ireland to keep his job but their will be enough talent on this roster that if the next GM is as good as everyone hopes we will be in good shape quick. We have more talent on this roster than Ireland haters want to admit.

Our problem now is that we have gone forward with Ireland still here. To cut ties with him now after we have moved forward with a new coaching staff is dicey. I think we just have to hope that Philbin has enough influence and can do a nice job. We have to hope Ireland was the most competent of the Parcells, Ireland, Sparano trio. Hopefully, Ireland has less Parcellsitis than Sparano does. The cornfed picks scream Parcells and Sparano. You know Sparano had a huge influence on the 2011 draft. It looks as though Philbin and his staff had a huge influence on last years draft. After all, we went QB in round 1. Then when we went cornfed with Martin, it was a guy who fit what Philbin wants to do on offense. I think that pick was part of phasing out Long for the future.

I can see Ireland coming around. Lets see what happens. With all of the assets, if things dont get better next season it could be all over for not just Ireland, but even Philbin this early.

Also, dont expect all 5 of those first draft picks to hit. No team hits on every pick in rounds 1-3. I think it would be reasonable to expect 2 or 3 solid players. With 5 picks, I would hope at least one of them is an all pro caliber player. If we make the right moves there is no reason we shouldnt win more games next season. A lot is going to fall on Tannehill though. If he dosent play better next season, it isnt going to mean much if we get better players on offense. He has to step up. If he dosent, it could cost a lot of people their jobs.

I agree with all of what is posted above and next year is not going to break the phins if Ireland is still not the answer. If he performs like he has the past 3 years with the cap money we have and picks we have we will be in better shape next year roster wise than this year. Maybe not good enough and good enough for Ireland to keep his job but their will be enough talent on this roster that if the next GM is as good as everyone hopes we will be in good shape quick. We have more talent on this roster than Ireland haters want to admit.

I dont get this logic that its not a big deal if Ireland doesnt do well next year. We had cap space before he got here, and he ate up that cap space and to some degree finally cleaned up his mess. And the whole ireland haters dont admit talent. Every team in the nfl has some talent. Cleveland is horrible but I could name alot of talented guys on that roster. Every year I keep hearing about how much talent we got and that talent averages about 7-9 in record. I have got to no choice that we will Irleand for another year but im not playing some stupid card well maybe he is coming around. You know maybe he will but I am going to judge Ireland on his total body of work here and its far from good and we have now thrown away 5 more years of the franchise with him at the helm. So yea I guess for a few people its cool to rationlize that people that hate Ireland as Gm has no logical reason to do this and are caught up in the past(last time I checked Ireland had the grand role as general manager that has made up the last 5 years of this past) The dolphins were here before the idiot known as Ireland and will be here after he graciously gets fired but Im tired of reading water with him as gm. There should have been some accountability with him and Ross should have dealt with it but hell he is just here to look good owning a team its the vogue thing. Here is a hint attendance is not down because you have done the right things.So personally I will hope somehow Ireland gets lucky and we do better but I am more hopeful of the day we finally rid this team of the last of Parcells garbage.

Ireland has no clue he has no clue, that's the biggest problem with him.

His career comes down to this offseason, let's see what kind of meddle the weasel has.

mock offseason coming up with this being my 10th post

I hope he does a great job just like he did in the 2012 draft. Or you can just continue to whine and whine about it!

Ireland may not be the answer but he is the best we have had going back to those 1970's years.

Phintim, I have great respect for you because you have seen with your own eyes what it is like to have a well-run Dolphins franchise. You remember when the team was excellent and you understand what was required to achieve that excellence.

Ireland may very well be he best GM we have had going back to Joe Thomas and Bobby Betheard. We have had some really awful GMs since our Super Bowl victories. Since I don't think it accomplishes anything for us to have an extended debate over who is the best of the awful lot we have lived with over the last thirty years., I will avoid the temptation to enter into such a debate.

Are you at least willing to agree with my contention that Ireland's body of work does not place him on the same level with Thomas/Betheard? If we can agree that Ireland is not in the same league as Thomas/Betheard, then I feel as if the continuity issue is our main point of disagreement. You appear to believe that maintaining continuity with a less than excellent GM is most important thing at this time in the history of the Dolphins. I believe that finding and keeping an excellent GM at the level of Thomas/Betheard is the most important element at this point in time in improving the franchse.

I truly do not understand the argument behind your continuity position. A General Manager will acquire and replace a less than superstar player with a superstar player whenever he has the opportunity to do so. Why should it be any different in the organization for the General Manager position? If you can find a way to improve the position, you improve the position.

I hope he does a great job just like he did in the 2012 draft. Or you can just continue to whine and whine about it!

Stating he has done a bad job overall. GOOD dRAFT EXcept neglecting a major need and horrible free agent signings

Phintim, I have great respect for you because you have seen with your own eyes what it is like to have a well-run Dolphins franchise. You remember when the team was excellent and you understand what was required to achieve that excellence.

Ireland may very well be he best GM we have had going back to Joe Thomas and Bobby Betheard. We have had some really awful GMs since our Super Bowl victories. Since I don't think it accomplishes anything for us to have an extended debate over who is the best of the awful lot we have lived with over the last thirty years., I will avoid the temptation to enter into such a debate.

Are you at least willing to agree with my contention that Ireland's body of work does not place him on the same level with Thomas/Betheard? If we can agree that Ireland is not in the same league as Thomas/Betheard, then I feel as if the continuity issue is our main point of disagreement. You appear to believe that maintaining continuity with a less than excellent GM is most important thing at this time in the history of the Dolphins. I believe that finding and keeping an excellent GM at the level of Thomas/Betheard is the most important element at this point in time in improving the franchse.

I truly do not understand the argument behind your continuity position. A General Manager will acquire and replace a less than superstar player with a superstar player whenever he has the opportunity to do so. Why should it be any different in the organization for the General Manager position? If you can find a way to improve the position, you improve the position.

Yes I certainly agree with you Ireland is not on the level of Bethard and the staff that led us to the Super Bowl who left the Dolpins for the skins and led them to Super Bowl. I certainly do not mind seeing Ireland go "if" we can land some of those guys.

So I am with you on that point but I do not want to change for change sake as I have seen done since Shula left with the coaching changes and front office changes we have had since Shula was basically fired.

Here is my perspective we fired Shula to chase some very high and expensive coaches just because we perceived that Shula was the problem. In hindsight that was a mistake and the issue was not Shula the coach but our front office staff providng the talent. In fact our rosters probably is more talented outside of what Shula had in Marinio than any roster Shula had his last 10 plus years.

Moving back to the Ireland years remember he inhirited a 1-15 club his first year and his job was to retool it. Ireland's first year this club should have gone 4-12 or there abouts talent wise but primarily with the invention of the wildcat and a lucky 1 year pickup of Pennington the club got lucky and we finished something like 10-6 or something and all the fans got overexcited and the coaching and front office staf got over confident in their original plan and started building a team to run the wildcat instead of compete in convintial football. So year 2 of the Pat White pick that everyone like to complain about was built around changing directions for the Phins to compete using the wildcat but the rest of the league had already figured out how to stop it so we wasted time and picks ,blamed the defensive coordinator for loosing fired him. This was Heene coming out party and we also decided that he needed a top nth receiver.
Year 3 we bring in Brandon Marshall for 2 second rounders still cannot get it going and fire the offensive coordinator as the fall guy.
Year 3 brings IMO the end of then Henne and Sporano tenures for then Dolphins as Marshall takes control of the team in the last game of the year and refuses to catch balls from Henne and insists that Thigpen should be the QB. Sporano caves into Marshall and looses then team. Ross and Ireland do a coaching search at the last minute that year because Sporano lost his gonads in that game. To little to late we have to keep the guy as coach.
Year 4 more of the same except we fire then special teams coach early this year and later Sporano and the team basically wins out later in the season.
Year 5 this year is all about rebuilding just like it was back 5 years ago except this year we go legit 7-9 with lots of new faces all new coaches and a veteran roster of players that can keep us in then game plus this is important a huge rookie draft class with some very good contributors. Now if you wish to debate me on our veteran look at how many are alternates on the pro bowl this year.

So yes I believe that Ireland can provide enough talent for us to build a good team and do not mind seeing him stay until we can land your proverbial super GM. Plus I believe Ireland is improving as a GM learning from his mistakes and as long as that upward trend continues then I am willing to be patient for that magical GM to be found

Picks, Money, and the Areas of Need are very easy to spot with this team.
Jeff screws up, and I'd be surprised if he ever gets another chance to be GM.

I would like to see Ireland fired after the season in time to hire a new GM that is on the same page as the coaching staff. If that doesn't happen I am crossing my fingers that the free agency and draft is handled by committee and not solely in Ireland's hands.

Then again I am used to missing playoffs being a golden state warriors and dolphins fan.

Those of you who think Ireland has done a good job and could be trusted with the future should be ashamed of applauding less than mediocre performance. There has to be a time when enough is enough.

for me, that time is now.

Stating he has done a bad job overall. GOOD dRAFT EXcept neglecting a major need and horrible free agent signings

Ya your right he missed a major need, how could that have happened????? He only drafted the QB in the first round people have been crying for, he drafted a starting RT that could eventually take over at LT if needed, he drafted a RB to fill in for Rbush if he was let go, he drafted depth at DE who played a solid roll for us, he drafted future depth aswell. He also got us a great HC who will bring this team back to repectability. But he missed out on a WR even though R.Mathews looks like there is some pretty good talent there. You know, developing our own but whatever.

I would like to see Ireland fired after the season in time to hire a new GM that is on the same page as the coaching staff. If that doesn't happen I am crossing my fingers that the free agency and draft is handled by committee and not solely in Ireland's hands.

Then again I am used to missing playoffs being a golden state warriors and dolphins fan.

Those of you who think Ireland has done a good job and could be trusted with the future should be ashamed of applauding less than mediocre performance. There has to be a time when enough is enough.

for me, that time is now.

That time was 2 years ago for me but i'm with you

Back
Top Bottom