"I’ve got picks and money" | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I’ve got picks and money"

When compared to 1-15 maybe but we went 11-5 after and havent even came cllsoe to going back

dkickz I believe that Ross would fire or dismiss Ireland in a New York minute if he was assured that he was reeling in someone better and that might end up being the case. Vonte Davis was not a bad pick when we chose him in the first round and badly needed a CB. He has digressed since his tenure with the Dolphins which no GM has control of. If a players digresses that is a reflection on the coaching staff. So we were very lucky to salvage what we did with VD and we got some very good value while he was here.

Philbin and Ireland worked much better than Tony S and Ireland in this past years draft and that is a plain fact. You and everyone else that moan about Ireland are still pretty much focused on his first couple 2-3 years. I and other discount that because first he was a rookie GM when he was brought on board and his mentor and advisor was also his boss that hired him. As that influence has worn off he has made better decisions. We have some decent players on the roster and he signed or resigned all of them. If we were winning or had been winning there would be a couple more in the Pro Bowl and we certainly have a number of alternates on it this year more than awile to back up that opiniion.

Really Ireland signed 2 free agents the talented but off injured Gerard, Marshall not injury prone but more nickle back and Nannee who caught passes last year for 400 plus yards. All were low budget deals for their positions except Marshall and his deal did not blow the bank. Well the first 2 got injured and the third did not work out but free agents are bandaides for the most part unless you overpay for one which we were not in the postion to last year. So hold onto your panites.

dkickz I believe that Ross would fire or dismiss Ireland in a New York minute if he was assured that he was reeling in someone better and that might end up being the case. Vonte Davis was not a bad pick when we chose him in the first round and badly needed a CB. He has digressed since his tenure with the Dolphins which no GM has control of. If a players digresses that is a reflection on the coaching staff. So we were very lucky to salvage what we did with VD and we got some very good value while he was here.

Philbin and Ireland worked much better than Tony S and Ireland in this past years draft and that is a plain fact. You and everyone else that moan about Ireland are still pretty much focused on his first couple 2-3 years. I and other discount that because first he was a rookie GM when he was brought on board and his mentor and advisor was also his boss that hired him. As that influence has worn off he has made better decisions. We have some decent players on the roster and he signed or resigned all of them. If we were winning or had been winning there would be a couple more in the Pro Bowl and we certainly have a number of alternates on it this year more than awile to back up that opiniion.

Really Ireland signed 2 free agents the talented but off injured Gerard, Marshall not injury prone but more nickle back and Nannee who caught passes last year for 400 plus yards. All were low budget deals for their positions except Marshall and his deal did not blow the bank. Well the first 2 got injured and the third did not work out but free agents are bandaides for the most part unless you overpay for one which we were not in the postion to last year. So hold onto your panites.

Reggie wayne contract is exactly the same as Richard Marshall. Same money as eric winston got. These were good established players while Richard Marshall has had one solid season in his entire career. As a starter in Carolina he was one of the worst rated corners in the league. Also why spend money on broken Garrard if u have Moore, we threw away cap space there. hell for 2 million dollars we signed Artis Hicks and could have had Mario manningham for another million. As for salary cap room he is the idiot that spent money on gibril Wilson, Jake grove, Vernon Carey to contracts all well above 30 million. Justin smiley to 5 million a year coming off injury. Reggie Torbor perpetual backup to alot of money. So he is just finally cleaning up some of his own mess.

Steve Ross is just in love with Ireland for some reason. There's no excuses for Ireland now. He has a ton of money and a bunch of draft picks. If he screws this up it'll all be there for everyone to see. Conversely if Ireland hits a homerun and adds a lot of talent that gets us over the hump then we'll give him kudos. I just don't have any faith in the guy.

Philbin and Ireland worked much better than Tony S and Ireland in this past years draft and that is a plain fact.
The conventional wisdom is that you can't judge a draft after just one year. It takes three years to know if a draft is good. What we saw this year could be just false promise. It could also be the year in which Ireland the blind squirrel got lucky and found an acorn (to be followed by further years of Ireland the blind squirrel not being able to find an acorn tree when he is only six inches away from it).
You and everyone else that moan about Ireland are still pretty much focused on his first couple 2-3 years.
I look at his entire tenure and conclude that he is not and will never be in the same league as the Dolphins' best general managers, Joe Thomas and Bobby Betheard.
We have some decent players on the roster and he signed or resigned all of them.
That is exactly the issue -- after five years we only have a few decent players on our roster. The rest are mediocre garbage. If he had done his job right we would have a roster full of decent players along with a few excellent players after five years of trying.

In the case of Jeff Ireland, five years of past performance tell us everything we need to know about how he is going to screw up another offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
The conventional wisdom is that you can't judge a draft after just one year. It takes three years to know if a draft is good. What we saw this year could be just false promise. It could also be the year in which Ireland the blind squirrel got lucky and found an acorn (to be followed by further years of Ireland the blind squirrel not being able to find an acorn tree when he is only six inches away from it).

This is what I'm afraid of. Four years of total garbage followed by two decent enough years to get him an extension followed by four more years of total garbage. This is probably our last chance to get rid of Ireland or he'll be around for another 5 years.

Reggie wayne contract is exactly the same as Richard Marshall. Same money as eric winston got. These were good established players while Richard Marshall has had one solid season in his entire career. As a starter in Carolina he was one of the worst rated corners in the league. Also why spend money on broken Garrard if u have Moore, we threw away cap space there. hell for 2 million dollars we signed Artis Hicks and could have had Mario manningham for another million. As for salary cap room he is the idiot that spent money on gibril Wilson, Jake grove, Vernon Carey to contracts all well above 30 million. Justin smiley to 5 million a year coming off injury. Reggie Torbor perpetual backup to alot of money. So he is just finally cleaning up some of his own mess.
All of the above signings were early in the process except for Vernon and he was resigned at a reduced price and his contract was fair for the value we got in return. I agree that the other signings were a mess but that was Ireland's first batch of FA signings and guys like Starks, Wake, Bush, Burnett and Daniels.
Look if he had signed the guys you mentioned last year instead of upon his arrival I would be more concerned like you are.
Your right this years FA signings were garbage IMO but we did not spend big money either. Gerard was a insurance policy on RT IMO, Artis Hicks was signed on the recommendation of our OL coach to my understanding and in both cases it looks like our medical staff really did not do their job evaluating the health of either players.
Marshall I just do not know, I was hoping that there was more to the pickup like letting him play safety instead of CB something,ing CK mentioned. Nannee was just a pure bust why who knows but the coaching staff stuck with the guy too hum

Yea I could agree with that statement but I can also say that no draft class has contributed more in the past 5 years overall than this years class which is a good indicator.
I look at his entire tenure and conclude that he is not and will never be in the same league as the Dolphinsy' best general managers, Joe Thomas and Bobby Betheard.
Sure I agree but just how many years ago was that and after you post how long that was name the better GM's we have had since. I can then have not been any.

That is exactly the issue -- after five years we only have a few decent players on our roster. . If he had done his job right we would have a roster full of decent players along with a few excellent players after five years of trying.

We have more than just a few decent players and that is the issue many bring up just how much of that 60 million we have left after signing our own decent players. If they were garbage then that would not be an issue. This year we are the 2 players we traded away from going to the play offs and everyone knows it. Now next year we have those 2 holes to still fill along with OT and Pass rusher to get us there.

In the case of Jeff Ireland, five years of past performance tell us everything we need to know about how he is going to screw up another offseason.

Just do not agree with you after last offseason we have with 8 draft picks on the active roster along with 4 more college free agents.
Thats 12 rookies we hit on this year for the new schemes that Philbin installed on both offense and defense. That is a ton of picks to make it and that type of youth provides tons of cap space, depth and talent. We almost made it to the playoffs also which is pretty amazing. Lots of clubs would like to be in our shoes. With 60 million or whatever to spend in FA and more high draft picks than any other club in next years draft (10 total)we are in primo position all because of last offseason.

You what has more pumped than anything is last year I was reading negative posts like yours from posters about how bad of picks we made choosing Odrick, Msi and Jerry and suddenly all those posts have disappeared with a new coaching staff. That tells me we have coaches who can coach now and that was part of the problem under Sporano.

Just do not agree with you after last offseason we have with 8 draft picks on the active roster along with 4 more college free agents.
Thats 12 rookies we hit on this year for the new schemes that Philbin installed on both offense and defense. That is a ton of picks to make it and that type of youth provides tons of cap space, depth and talent. We almost made it to the playoffs also which is pretty amazing. Lots of clubs would like to be in our shoes. With 60 million or whatever to spend in FA and more high draft picks than any other club in next years draft (10 total)we are in primo position all because of last offseason.

You what has more pumped than anything is last year I was reading negative posts like yours from posters about how bad of picks we made choosing Odrick, Msi and Jerry and suddenly all those posts have disappeared with a new coaching staff. That tells me we have coaches who can coach now and that was part of the problem under Sporano.

You'll never hear anything from me challenging your statement that Philbin and his coaching staff isn't miles ahead of Sporano and his Parcell flunkies. Coach Philbin deserves credit for what he has been able to do with the less than stellar talent that Ireland gave him to work with.

I don't disagree that we are in a great position with regards to our draft pick and salary cap. My issue is I simply don't trust Ireland not to screw this up. We have five years of history that tell us it is just as likely we will get a draft full of players like Egnew and Pat White as it is that we'll get the reincarnation of Paul Warfield or the Marks brothers. If he screws this up we will all be condemned to another five to ten years of mediocrity -- that is how critical this is. Given the nature of this unusual situation, wouldn't it make sense to go out and find the next Joe Thomas or Bobby Betheard to call the shots?

I'm not a young man anymore. I would really like to see the Dolphins in the Super Bowl at least one more time in my lifetime.

Reggie wayne contract is exactly the same as Richard Marshall. Same money as eric winston got. These were good established players while Richard Marshall has had one solid season in his entire career. As a starter in Carolina he was one of the worst rated corners in the league. Also why spend money on broken Garrard if u have Moore, we threw away cap space there. hell for 2 million dollars we signed Artis Hicks and could have had Mario manningham for another million.

Amazing isn't it?

I love it when Ireland supporters and detractors go back and forth..............

Ireland basher..... 4 straight losing seasons, no playmakers, blah blah blah

Ireland supporter..... It was all Parcells' fault. STARTERS! blah blah blah

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I think you have to pin most of the first 3 years on Parcells. He was really the GM whether you guys like it or not. However, its a collaborative effort. The HC and his staff also has a say in who is drafted and what pieces are added or not through FA. The GM always has the final say. The coaches meet and everyone has input. The HC has the final say on what he takes to the GM. The GM then acts based on his own feelings and what his HC tells him. Its all a factor. But, the GM is where the decision is made. Again though, we all know Parcells was in charge above of Ireland in the first 3 years. Ireland for those years was basically caught in the middle. He had to weigh what Tony Sparano and his crew thought and run those thoughts as well as his own to Parcells.

Having said all of that, of course Ireland is a part of what has gone wrong for the last few years. I said 3 years ago we were best to wash our hands of everything Parcells touched in this franchise. Parcells is a joke. He is probably the worst thing to ever happen to the phins.

Of course Ireland is part of it. Of course he probably thinks along Parcells' lines. After all, Parcells hired him. He brought Ireland here. Obviously he felt Ireland could do the job when he left.

Our problem now is that we have gone forward with Ireland still here. To cut ties with him now after we have moved forward with a new coaching staff is dicey. I think we just have to hope that Philbin has enough influence and can do a nice job. We have to hope Ireland was the most competent of the Parcells, Ireland, Sparano trio. Hopefully, Ireland has less Parcellsitis than Sparano does. The cornfed picks scream Parcells and Sparano. You know Sparano had a huge influence on the 2011 draft. It looks as though Philbin and his staff had a huge influence on last years draft. After all, we went QB in round 1. Then when we went cornfed with Martin, it was a guy who fit what Philbin wants to do on offense. I think that pick was part of phasing out Long for the future.

I can see Ireland coming around. Lets see what happens. With all of the assets, if things dont get better next season it could be all over for not just Ireland, but even Philbin this early.

Also, dont expect all 5 of those first draft picks to hit. No team hits on every pick in rounds 1-3. I think it would be reasonable to expect 2 or 3 solid players. With 5 picks, I would hope at least one of them is an all pro caliber player. If we make the right moves there is no reason we shouldnt win more games next season. A lot is going to fall on Tannehill though. If he dosent play better next season, it isnt going to mean much if we get better players on offense. He has to step up. If he dosent, it could cost a lot of people their jobs.

Larry fitzgerald sounds about right, and Ifert from ND will fit in also. yipppeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WR and CB weren't the gaping holes they are now going into this offseason.
True, but to Ireland's credit he made those moves knowing it weakened the team short-term, with the potential to have a huge offseason and draft. That put his job in a tenuous spot, but were moves his head coach wanted and the right moves for the team. Marshall had a huge year in Chicago, but you never know with him what he's going to do off the field. The guy is not team first. I always loved Davis until hardknocks came around and he looked lazy and unmotivated. No question, Ireland needs to hit big on the draft and offseason. We could be looking at a team stacked with talent entering the 2013 season.

Lots of replies here and I can't read them all, perhaps someone has said ti already, but:

This statement by Ireland, and everyone talking is all well and good. Better to be in the shape we are rather than what some teams are, BUT, in reality, there are teams in much better position than us financially and although we will have ample cap space, it doesn't really mean anything if the other teams want the player more than us.

I'm not a young man anymore. I would really like to see the Dolphins in the Super Bowl at least one more time in my lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Neither am I and swore I was not going to be a fan after Shula and Marinio left. I know churning the staff for the past 13 years plus has not produced the answer and the wins we seek. Like you I have been around for a long time and thats why I am backing Ireland more than most because we just have not had that guy really going back to the 70 Dolphins running our front office that got us to the SuperBowl back then. Last years draft and the accumualtion of ammo in FA money and picks this year that Ireland is repsonsible for has me opptomistic. Ireland may not be the answer but he is the best we have had going back to those 1970's years.

Back
Top Bottom