Jackson Powers-Johnson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jackson Powers-Johnson

Agree on center being underrated, I'd be more than happy with JPJ in round 1. We were a completely different team without Connor Williams last year, I'd also bring him back if we can swing it.
Everyone wants to trade back for a third. The best third rounders we've picked in 15 years have been Jerome Baker and Olivier Vernon. The rest have had almost no impact. Stay put in the first and second and take players that are going to start and have some effect on the season.

I like the player but I’ll be shocked if Grier doesn’t have a center signed before the draft. I think it would kill Grier to draft a non premium position in the first round.

Awesome Winner GIF by Biteable

JPJ could still be the selection at 21 since he can also play OG. If Brewer doesn't work out we can probably get out of his contract in a year or two anyway so JPJ would then move to Center.

Do not take a C in R1 unless your other options stink and you can't trade back.

I'd rather go WR or CB than take a C that high.

Eh, the Ravens took Linderbaum at 25 and last I checked they are a respected franchise that typically makes sound decisions in the draft.

Also, lots of teams, including the Dolphins, wish they hadn’t allowed Creed Humphrey to slip to KC late in the 2nd round.

If the prospect is good enough (elite level talent), you should take them. Especially when you have a long standing weakness at the position.

I’m not saying Powers-Johnson is a Linderbaum or Humphrey level talent, but if the Dolphins believe he is — then they definitely should consider him at 21. Or somewhere later in that range should they manage to trade down.

That said, I’m typically in favor or offensive and defensive play makers with 1st round selections. If there’s a clear cut option, like Brock Bowers available, then I’d go that route. But if an elite level play making talent isn’t there — it just may well be time to take an interior lineman in the mold of those they’ve been passing on in recent years.

Eh, the Ravens took Linderbaum at 25 and last I checked they are a respected franchise that typically makes sound decisions in the draft.

Also, lots of teams, including the Dolphins, wish they hadn’t allowed Creed Humphrey to slip to KC late in the 2nd round.

If the prospect is good enough (elite level talent), you should take them. Especially when you have a long standing weakness at the position.

I’m not saying Powers-Johnson is a Linderbaum or Humphrey level talent, but if the Dolphins believe he is — then they definitely should consider him at 21. Or somewhere later in that range should they manage to trade down.

That said, I’m typically in favor or offensive and defensive play makers with 1st round selections. If there’s a clear cut option, like Brock Bowers available, then I’d go that route. But if an elite level play making talent isn’t there — it just may well be time to take an interior lineman in the mold of those they’ve been passing on in recent years.
Even with a guy as good as Linderbaum(who was a better prospect than JPJ) it is hard to justify drafting an IOL that high.

It is just not that important to have outstanding talent in that area.

You just need to be solid to good while you spend your expensive assets at the positions that change the scoreboard.

I wanted Humphrey for Miami and they could have had him without the trade up they used to get Eichenberg but that was a full round later than we are talking about here.

I will allow that the quality of a given Draft can dictate what kind of talent is available to you but in that case I would more likely to looking to move back.

In the case of this year the Draft is way too deep to be taking an IOL that high unless you are that guy away from The Super Bowl.

With all that being said we are talking about philosophy here so there is always room for differing ideas, drafting IOl that high is not something I would do and I don't think it is something Miami would do either but that remains to be seen.

If we draft a JPJ or Barton I see no problem with that.
For years we really haven't had a settled interior line.
If say we draft JPJ then it might allow Tua an extra second to be able to step up which gives our wrs time to separate.
We all want value in the draft but isn't it time we build the interior for Tua

Even with a guy as good as Linderbaum(who was a better prospect than JPJ) it is hard to justify drafting an IOL that high.

It is just not that important to have outstanding talent in that area.

It's not important to you. Clearly the Ravens are at least one that disagrees with your position. And the Ravens aren't known as a dysfunctional org, either, when it comes to the draft and other personnel decisions.

In the past 6 draft classes, 11 different teams have selected an IOL in the 1st round (none were taken in 2023). Indy, Detroit, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Minnesota, New Orleans, New York J, Houston, LA Chargers, Baltimore, and New England.

That means that at least more than 1/3rd of the NFL somewhat disagrees with you. Because they've done it.
If you go back even further than just the past 6 classes, you can even add a few more org's to the list above.

Now, none of the above means that you are wrong. I just point it out as evidence to suggest that it isn't so hard to justify, at least not anymore, and may very well be considered a bit more important today than in the past. It seems to me that the tide is changing a bit when it comes to valuing IOL in the present day. Right or wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom