Jacksons Latest | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jacksons Latest

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins’ options to get creative emerge. And many takeaways from two weeks of camp

Lots of takeaways and chatter after watching every Dolphins practice for two weeks:

▪ This Dolphins offense, in the past five years, has finished 26th, 11th, 27th, 17th and 28th in scoring and there’s no indication that this group has a single elite player, though there are gifted playmakers, from Kenyan Drake to Kenny Stills to crafty Danny Amendola and DeVante Parker.

But if you ask who’s particularly equipped on this offense either to surprise defenses, or to create new mismatches that be exploited, two names have emerged in two weeks: Mike Gesicki and Albert Wilson

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle216255320.html?__twitter_impression=true

I like hearing about what the guys are doing in the camp action.

It’s disappointing to learn that Phillips has already been demoted to 2nd team. Encouraging to hear that Branch is looking good - I’m pulling extra hard for him this year after meeting his mom (told the story here in a thread) in FT Lauderdale. Lovely person.

I like hearing about what the guys are doing in the camp action.

It’s disappointing to learn that Phillips has already been demoted to 2nd team. Encouraging to hear that Branch is looking good - I’m pulling extra hard for him this year after meeting his mom (told the story here in a thread) in FT Lauderdale. Lovely person.

I remeber that thread actually ;o

Hope our offense gets clicking because I think our defense has the pieces to help us compete this year.

I think demoting Phillips is the best way to finally motivate him. Don't give him anything. Make him earn every snap and you'll see him getting very nasty with his opportunities. If he takes plays off in limited snaps I'd be shocked. We need him to step it up when the games count. I don't know if we have enough at DT if Phillips let's us down. The guy is a #2 pick, I hope Coach K can light a bonfire under his ***.

Getting some early butterfly's about this year's squad. In recent years, I've been amped up with all the preseason hype only to be disappointed. Hopefully, this year with less expectations in the NFL world we will truly surprise.

Not the most ringing endorsement of the roster talent level in camp.

It's not, but can you honestly look at the eagles or patriots starters and say that's a recipe for the SB? Outside of gronk and brady neither team had a single stand out on their starting roster. .. and they lost.
I'm more interested in how the pieces come together as a unit. If gase shows that he truly is a great offensive mind the players we have possess the abilities to be a great team. I couldn't care less that we don't have super stars. (We have a few on the D though. ...)

It all starts up front. When we went to the super bowl in the 82 season our QB was David Woodley. Our WR's were Moore and Duriel Harris. Our RB was Tony Nathan. None of those guys were pro bowl players but.........our O-line was Gisler-Newman-Stevenson-Kuechenburg-Laakso

We also had a good defense of course but on offense at the skill position we were not gifted but we won games up front. If our O-line can play good football then the offense will be fine.

there’s no indication that this group has a single elite player

This has been Miami's issue for years. IMO the only elite player on Miami's roster is Wake, and with his age that wont stay that way much longer. There are a couple of young guys that we don't know about yet but overall this roster needs more top tier talent and sprinkle in one or two elite players on both sides of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball Tunsil could develop into one with solid guard play next to him so he can concentrate on his assignments. Drake has the skills, but we will see if he can keep up with last years production and his health. Gesicki could end up being a Greg Olsen type. Not sure if he's considered elite or not, but arguably one of if not the best overall TE in the game.

On defense Wake is still an elite pass rusher, and has been for years. Jones, while is very good, I am not sure I would say he is elite. Fitzpatrick has all the tools to be elite, and I would like to see what a healthy McMillan can do.

We have many players on both sides of the ball poised to become stars in the NFL. Fitzpatrick and Gisecki will both see the Pro Bowl pretty soon. Kenyon Drake is a guy that has blazing speed, great acrobatic moves and excellent hands. I don't care if nobody in the world thinks he's a star. I want him on my team. X Howard is coming on in a big way and I remember Gruden going on and on about how great a game he was having, so Pro Bowl's are in his future. A guy like Laremy Tunsil could and should he a top 5 LT in the league starting this year.

Reputations are earned by excellent play on the field. Much of what we have is based on potential of what they will do on the field. We have a dozen guys ready to break out, many are very high draft picks. I don't feel we're hurting for star power. The league will know all about the Dolphins when we start kicking *** this season.

It's not, but can you honestly look at the eagles or patriots starters and say that's a recipe for the SB? Outside of gronk and brady neither team had a single stand out on their starting roster. .. and they lost.
I'm more interested in how the pieces come together as a unit. If gase shows that he truly is a great offensive mind the players we have possess the abilities to be a great team. I couldn't care less that we don't have super stars. (We have a few on the D though. ...)

On the offense I agree, interested to see how they play as a unit, but as I said in the camp updates, Gase has to get production from the offense.

The time is running out- we all know it will end if we continue to struggle on offense- supposedly Gase’s specIality. I mean you can talk about QB play ot injuries etc but bottom line, the offense cant continue to struggle so much.

In reference to superstars that’s all fine but you still need some really good/elite level talent. That’s why I wasnt for trading done in the draft.

It all starts up front. When we went to the super bowl in the 82 season our QB was David Woodley. Our WR's were Moore and Duriel Harris. Our RB was Tony Nathan. None of those guys were pro bowl players but.........our O-line was Gisler-Newman-Stevenson-Kuechenburg-Laakso

We also had a good defense of course but on offense at the skill position we were not gifted but we won games up front. If our O-line can play good football then the offense will be fine.
Hey Danny - totally agree w your point and I know this may be nit picking but Nat Moore was an All Pro at least 1x. In 1982 he was invisible (about 8-10 catches) so perhaps that’s what you were referring to. Just didn’t want to see him slighted as he was one of our top all time WRs. Back to your point - we had a great o-line, power running w Franklin and a great, but undersized D when compared to the Skins O line. On paper we were not a SB team.

This has been Miami's issue for years. IMO the only elite player on Miami's roster is Wake, and with his age that wont stay that way much longer. There are a couple of young guys that we don't know about yet but overall this roster needs more top tier talent and sprinkle in one or two elite players on both sides of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball Tunsil could develop into one with solid guard play next to him so he can concentrate on his assignments. Drake has the skills, but we will see if he can keep up with last years production and his health. Gesicki could end up being a Greg Olsen type. Not sure if he's considered elite or not, but arguably one of if not the best overall TE in the game.

On defense Wake is still an elite pass rusher, and has been for years. Jones, while is very good, I am not sure I would say he is elite. Fitzpatrick has all the tools to be elite, and I would like to see what a healthy McMillan can do.

I agree with this 100%, it's not enough to just draft solid players we also need elite or pro bow talent on the roster. I look at the Saints who drafted Pro Bowler Marshon Lattimore and All Pro Alvin Kamara in 2017 and Pro Bowl WR Michael Thomas in 2016. These are guys who made an instant impact. These guys may not be elite just yet but making the Pro Bowl or All Pro team as a rookie or second year player is definitely a step towards that elite level.

I know we have a lot of young guys with potential but that just means they haven't anything yet or haven't performed on a consistent level. Elite teams have elite players and all we really have right now is Wake and he's closer to retirement than any other starter.

Back
Top Bottom