Jake Long is the ONLY safe pick... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long is the ONLY safe pick...

I remember when Robert Gallery was the "safe pick"

Ha! Ha!... It amazes me what happened to that guy. I used to dream of us picking him up some how. I thought there is no way this guy could be a bust. Oops! on that one.

And once again, Cason is a HUGE downgrade from anybody we lined up in the DBackfield this year...

Aside from that not bad and a definate upgrade:up:

You clearly haven't seen a great deal of Antoine Cason then.

;)

It would be boring if we all thought the same, but Cason is going to be a very good player. He has the right mentality and character that Ireland is looking for, the same ballhawk tendancies that Bowles likes and if he can run well in Indianapolis and shake off that last feeling I have that he might be better suited to cover 2, then he has to be a legitimate pick 32 target.

;)

It would be boring if we all thought the same, but Cason is going to be a very good player. He has the right mentality and character that Ireland is looking for, the same ballhawk tendancies that Bowles likes and if he can run well in Indianapolis and shake off that last feeling I have that he might be better suited to cover 2, then he has to be a legitimate pick 32 target.

And as always, I respect your insight-immensely. But I think he will really have a tough time at the next level.
The only opportunity for him WOULD be a true Cover-2 defense where he doesnt have to spend too much time being manhandled.

As I eluded to, he is an incredible athlete, and a real gamer. Never ever saw him shy away from contact, but I also saw guys run through his tackles.

;)

Boomer, curious as to what you think of S Thomas DeCloud and CB Zenon from LSU. If Justin King slips, maybe he'll be a good pickup. 6th-7th rds- 2 guys who I like there are Marcus Monk and that CB from Wisconsin who popped his ACL. Pick him up on the cheap and hopefully have a steal like Cromartie from SD.

.....Chris Long-doesnt have the speed to play coverage(when he does,better tackle with the first contact,or its a home run)

I don't even know where to begin w/ my disagreement with this statement.

C. Long can and most likely will play (the majority of his time) at OLB in a NFL 3-4 defense. OLBs in the 3-4 make their money moving forward not backwards. They are not 4-3 backers. And when C. Long is called into coverage it will be zone responsibilities for the most part. The kid had 14 sacks, has long arms and something you can't coach, a non-stop motor. I would select him over J. Long 10 out of 10 times.

I would select him over J. Long 10 out of 10 times.

And twice on Sundays! Chris Long would be a major difference maker for this team. Not only is he a better talent than Jake IMO, but I also think we would do a better job at maximizing his talents.

And as always, I respect your insight-immensely. But I think he will really have a tough time at the next level.
The only opportunity for him WOULD be a true Cover-2 defense where he doesnt have to spend too much time being manhandled.

As I eluded to, he is an incredible athlete, and a real gamer. Never ever saw him shy away from contact, but I also saw guys run through his tackles.

I think he's tall and rangy and whilst I think he needs to add some weight and get up around 190, he reminds me of Asante Samuel in the way he plays and his reading of the game. 46 starts and an absolutely great kid off the field; he already has a foundation called Cason Cares and donates money to cancer charities, etc.

I think he plays faster than he times. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a 4.50, but that will play into Miami's hands, if that's the direction they go.

so break it down for me boomer...

cason vs.. talib... vs... DRC....

I have thought for awhile that talib is the top CB, with cason next, but DRC is going to surprise people. He might just be knocking on that door before it's all said and done. It's only one game, but after the senior bowl, he was one of five players that I couldn't stop thinking about.

I have thought for awhile that talib is the top CB, with cason next, but DRC is going to surprise people. He might just be knocking on that door before it's all said and done. It's only one game, but after the senior bowl, he was one of five players that I couldn't stop thinking about.

DRC! DRC! He's the man for this team. I will do a dance if we take him at 32.

1. Miami Dolphins - Long, Jake, OT Michigan
The Tuna will carry the biggest stick when it comes to which players are acquired for the Dolphins. Since he basically invented the "Planet Theory" (There are only so many big, strong, athletic guys on the planet, so when you find one in the draft take him) I'm sure he won't mind taking an OT with the first overall pick. C. Long is a possibility, but Parcells has historically prefered bigger DE's in his 3-4 (usually college DT's), so we'll wait and see how C. Long does in his workouts to see if he weighs in closer to 300 lbs. That also opens the debate for G. Dorsey, but he isn't worth the 1st pick until he proves in workouts that he is the same player he was before last season's injury. Players will shift positions a lot in my draft between now and late April, but J. Long won't fall out of my top five. There isn't a player available this year who is in a league of his own, but I think J. Long is the best player available. I love the aggresive attitude he plays with with. When I watch him play he doesn't just prevent his guy from reaching whoever has the ball; he dominates him. He always holds his ground on pass D and pushes guys all over field on running plays. V. Carey has not been the answer since he was drafted in '04 and should be moved back to RT or OG. J. Long is the first step in righting this team's offensive mess.​

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/2008_nfl_mock_draft/Bryan_Pinkston/501/1a

1. Miami Dolphins - Long, Jake, OT Michigan
The Tuna will carry the biggest stick when it comes to which players are acquired for the Dolphins. Since he basically invented the "Planet Theory" (There are only so many big, strong, athletic guys on the planet, so when you find one in the draft take him) I'm sure he won't mind taking an OT with the first overall pick. C. Long is a possibility, but Parcells has historically prefered bigger DE's in his 3-4 (usually college DT's), so we'll wait and see how C. Long does in his workouts to see if he weighs in closer to 300 lbs. That also opens the debate for G. Dorsey, but he isn't worth the 1st pick until he proves in workouts that he is the same player he was before last season's injury. Players will shift positions a lot in my draft between now and late April, but J. Long won't fall out of my top five. There isn't a player available this year who is in a league of his own, but I think J. Long is the best player available. I love the aggresive attitude he plays with with. When I watch him play he doesn't just prevent his guy from reaching whoever has the ball; he dominates him. He always holds his ground on pass D and pushes guys all over field on running plays. V. Carey has not been the answer since he was drafted in '04 and should be moved back to RT or OG. J. Long is the first step in righting this team's offensive mess.​

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/2008_nfl_mock_draft/Bryan_Pinkston/501/1a

Hey look another mock that has us making a bad pick!

Talib is a cover 2 corner, who hasn't got the pace to play man. But he's a great playmaker in the right system. Cason could add some meat to that frame, is an excellent cover guy who reads the play very well and is very instinctive. Rodgers-Cromartie I've seen once, but his athletic ability absolutely stands out and in terms of the nuances of playing CB; hips, change of direction at speed, gear down ability, he has it all. He's not Antoine Winfield when it comes to playing the run though.

Back
Top Bottom