Jason Taylor | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor

Is Jason Taylor "losing it?"

• No, He is getting better every year!

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Yes, His sacks and play dropped last year b/c he isn't as good as he used to be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's the same or better, but overall play from the DL dropped last year and caused his stats to drop

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • He never had "it." Just a one-year wonder in 2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure, but I hope he repeats his 2000 performance this year!

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
yes

Originally posted by booyeah_

Can you name 5 DEs better than JT.

1) Strahan
2) Kearse
3) Wiley
4) Douglas
5) (IMO) Little
6) Brackens
7) (statistically) Gbaja-Biamila
8) (IMO) Courtney Brown
9) McCrary
10) (still young but better statistically last year) Abraham
11) Porcher

other considerations: Aaron Smith (not well known, due to being in 3-4 defense), Simeon Rice(statistically), & Joe Johnson

I'M NOT SAYING THAT ALL ELEVEN ARE BETTER, BUT THEY ALL MAKE A STRONG CASE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
there's the key AFTER he got past the OL the fullback saw him as a threat and blocked..... it's not like they had in their game plans "let's send 3 blockers at Taylor on this play" the FB has to be aware of where the pass rushers are. He doesn't key in on one player. Also there were times, believe it or not when there was only 1 person blocking him.

Very true, however if we were mounting a better passrush from elsewhere perhaps the FB wouldn't be able to commit to the guy who is currently being double teamed, as much as FBs did in 2001. Just a thought.

and even though he has yet to play a down, many people believe Peppers is going to be better than all the above DE's!

Re: yes

1) Strahan
2) Kearse
3) Wiley
4) Douglas
5) (IMO) Little
6) Brackens
7) (statistically) Gbaja-Biamila
8) (IMO) Courtney Brown
9) McCrary
10) (still young but better statistically last year) Abraham
11) Porcher

other considerations: Aaron Smith (not well known, due to being in 3-4 defense), Simeon Rice(statistically), & Joe Johnson

I'M NOT SAYING THAT ALL TWELVE ARE BETTER, BUT THEY ALL MAKE A STRONG CASE.

JT is way better than Brackens, Douglas, Gbaja-Biamila, Brown, McCrary, and Abraham.

and even though he has yet to play a down, many people believe Peppers is going to be better than all the above DE's!

Peppers is an outstanding athlete. He has the potential to shatter the record books and become this era's Deacon Jones.

With a couple of those guys its like trying to say that JT isn't as good as Trace Armstrong and wasn't as good as Trace in 2000 because Trace had 16.5 sacks to JT's 14.5 sacks...

Gbaja-Biamila is a one-dimensional player who is not even expected to make any showing against the run. He's also very streaky. JT plays well against the run and as a passrusher. John Abraham also very streaky (and honestly so was Trace). Hugh Douglas is probably right up there with JT. Leonard Little is in the Gbaja-Biamila boat...these guys are almost situational passrushers (and no doubt Little benefitted greatly from being able to pin his ears back near 100% of the time because of the Rams super-duper offense...where was he against New England?)

Porcher back in the day was probably better than Taylor is now, however Porcher's really lost something and if you've watched him lately its visible. Strahan and Kearse are gimmes. Wiley shouldn't even be on this list. Courtney Brown and Mike McCrary both underrated guys that are about the equivalent of JT in my opinion.

If I were to rank it I'd go...
1. Strahan
2. Kearse
3 through 5. JT, Courtney Brown, Hugh Douglas tied in no particular order.
6. John Abraham
7. Mike McCrary
8. Robert Porcher
9 and 10. Leonard Little and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila tied.
11. Tony Brackens
12. Marcellus Wiley

But most of these rankings are very close to one another and any could end up ahead of the other based on game situations and/or supporting cast IMO

I think I like Abraham's passrush abilities more than JT however he still doesn't hold up at the point of attack and reminds me of JT in his rookie year that way. JT is far better against the run, a more "complete" DE that is also capable of putting up the same sack numbers that Abraham is. Thats why I give JT the edge. Same with Hugh and Courtney.

Abraham had more tackles than JT last year...... and was rushed against fewer times...... (according to nfl.com)

Taylor: 48 tackles
Abraham: 53 Tackles

Originally posted by ckparrothead
With a couple of those guys its like trying to say that JT isn't as good as Trace Armstrong and wasn't as good as Trace in 2000 because Trace had 16.5 sacks to JT's 14.5 sacks...

Gbaja-Biamila is a one-dimensional player who is not even expected to make any showing against the run. He's also very streaky. JT plays well against the run and as a passrusher. John Abraham also very streaky (and honestly so was Trace). Hugh Douglas is probably right up there with JT. Leonard Little is in the Gbaja-Biamila boat...these guys are almost situational passrushers (and no doubt Little benefitted greatly from being able to pin his ears back near 100% of the time because of the Rams super-duper offense...where was he against New England?)

Porcher back in the day was probably better than Taylor is now, however Porcher's really lost something and if you've watched him lately its visible. Strahan and Kearse are gimmes. Wiley shouldn't even be on this list. Courtney Brown and Mike McCrary both underrated guys that are about the equivalent of JT in my opinion.

If I were to rank it I'd go...
1. Strahan
2. Kearse
3 through 5. JT, Courtney Brown, Hugh Douglas tied in no particular order.
6. John Abraham
7. Mike McCrary
8. Robert Porcher
9 and 10. Leonard Little and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila tied.
11. Tony Brackens
12. Marcellus Wiley

But most of these rankings are very close to one another and any could end up ahead of the other based on game situations and/or supporting cast IMO

Brown is extremely talented(He was a #1 pick), but it hasn't translated into great play. Granted he had injury problems, I haven't seen one complete, very good season out of him.

Douglass is great against the pass, but I'm not so sure about the run. I'm not an Eagles fan so I don't see him much, but I did see them like 5 times last season. Not once did I see him make a play against the run. What really makes me think lowly of him is that one time I saw him celebrate after Warrick Dunn carried him 10 yards.

IMO, Wiley is not as good as JT, but better than Douglass and Brown.

Joe Johnson's good but he's not really capable of changing games or posting a great sack season.

Its funny but I would expect Abraham to have more tackles BECAUSE he was run at less. Remember that he WAS a linebacker. Abraham and JT have similar styles when it comes to chasing down ballcarriers from behind. But a DE is not a LBer who blitzes, his job description is more than that (which is why I questioned the sanity of someone recently who proposed moving JT to blitzing OLB)...anyone who's watched them on film can see that JT holds up much better at the point of attack than Abraham does. JT is actually able to stay in position then break off his blocker and make the play. Abraham really does not up to this point. Maybe Abraham will develop though who knows. Right now Abraham is quite similar to Peter Boulware, if Boulware were moved officially to DE (even though he was played there most of the time last year). Boulware gets heavily criticized by his coaches for not holding up at the point of attack at all and being weak against the run. But that doesn't mean Boulware doesn't get tackles.

Hmm, I seemed to remember Hugh Douglas being good against the run but I guess I could be wrong and now that I think about it that may have been one of his big criticisms. Courtney Brown is very underrated and the guy is very consistently in on plays...heck in his rookie year if you took into account plays against the run, pressures, and basically everything "good" a DE could do he was in the top 5 in the league along with Jason Taylor...as per Pro Football Talk (who was back then NFLTalk).

Back
Top Bottom