Jason Taylor | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor

Is Jason Taylor "losing it?"

• No, He is getting better every year!

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Yes, His sacks and play dropped last year b/c he isn't as good as he used to be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's the same or better, but overall play from the DL dropped last year and caused his stats to drop

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • He never had "it." Just a one-year wonder in 2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure, but I hope he repeats his 2000 performance this year!

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Originally posted by ckparrothead
Hmm, I seemed to remember Hugh Douglas being good against the run but I guess I could be wrong and now that I think about it that may have been one of his big criticisms. Courtney Brown is very underrated and the guy is very consistently in on plays...heck in his rookie year if you took into account plays against the run, pressures, and basically everything "good" a DE could do he was in the top 5 in the league along with Jason Taylor...as per Pro Football Talk (who was back then NFLTalk).

I'm not saying Brown is bad, but I don't believe hes at a level where I'd say hes better than Wiley. I will say this: Brown might have made the All-Pro team last year if it weren't for injuries.

Glad to see the trash talk died down. I was disappointed to see it midway through the thread.

Tackles are not an accurate stat according to NFL.com. In reality, Jason Taylor finished 2000 with: 86 tackles....9 sacks....4 forced fumbles....4 fumble recoveries....7 passes defended.....1 INT....1 TD.

Those 86 tackles led the league for DEs. Taylor was an all-around player in 2001. You couldn't run at him. And it was dangerous to single him up in passing situations. I feel he was arguably the most complete DE in the league last year.

John Abraham has more pure speed than Taylor. That's why he's so effective as a passrusher. But he doesn't have all the moves that Taylor does. Plus, like Strahan and Little (another speed guy), he lines up at LE (I heard he might be flipping to RE). He's not facing the best pass protector on the DL. Little also benefits from Grant Wistrom on the other side. I feel Wistrom is better than Little.

KGB leveled off early last year. After getting 9 sacks in the first 4 games, he finished with 4 in the final 12 games (giving him 12). He's a situational guy who's job has been taken by Joe Johnson. FYI - The Pack has a glut at DE (Johnson, Holliday, KGB, and 2001 1st rounder Jamal Reynolds).

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck
Glad to see the trash talk died down. I was disappointed to see it midway through the thread.

Tackles are not an accurate stat according to NFL.com. In reality, Jason Taylor finished 2000 with: 86 tackles....9 sacks....4 forced fumbles....4 fumble recoveries....7 passes defended.....1 TD.

Don't forget his INT against Indy.

Originally posted by Muck

Tackles are not an accurate stat according to NFL.com. In reality, Jason Taylor finished 2000 with: 86 tackles....9 sacks....4 forced fumbles....4 fumble recoveries....7 passes defended.....1 TD.

Those 86 tackles led the league for DEs. Taylor was an all-around player in 2001. You couldn't run at him. And it was dangerous to single him up in passing situations. I feel he was arguably the most complete DE in the league last year.

John Abraham has more pure speed than Taylor. That's why he's so effective as a passrusher. But he doesn't have all the moves that Taylor does. Plus, like Strahan and Little (another speed guy), he lines up at LE (I heard he might be flipping to RE). He's not facing the best pass protector on the DL. Little also benefits from Grant Wistrom on the other side. I feel Wistrom is better than Little.

KGB leveled off early last year. After getting 9 sacks in the first 4 games, he finished with 4 in the final 12 games (giving him 12). He's a situational guy who's job has been taken by Joe Johnson. FYI - The Pack has a glut at DE (Johnson, Holliday, KGB, and 2001 1st rounder Jamal Reynolds).

Exactly..........................................Couldn't have said it any better....

Excellent points about KGB. He was most effective when being used situationally like Trace use to for us. When he had like 10 sacks in 5 games, the Pack started him and it was all down hill from there.

Grant Wistrom IS a better DE than Leonard Little...Period. Also some excellent points about JT I had forgotten that the NFL stats aren't the official ones for tackles. Also didn't realize JT had 4 forced fumbles and 4 recoveries and 7 passes defensed...I remembered the INT and TD though.

Little is better than Wistrom. I would take Little who is more physically talented, younger, and has more potential over the unknown until last year, washed up, never great, only got attention last year b/c he was on the Rams, only good asset is experience Wistrom. I would compare Wistrom to Phil Hansen, a consistant all-around good player, but who here would take Hansen over Bruce??? IMO that is the same situation with Little and Wistrom...

Also, Muck, THE BEST PASS PROTECTOR ON THE OL IS THE LT.... unless I am reading your post wrong....

Jason Taylor is a Top 10 DT, no doubt about it. I just wanted to hear some intelligent posts about why his stats dropped and why (although i did not see many fins games, from what I saw when he played vs. the bills) his overall play dropped last year. He didn't seem as intense and became less of a threat in my mind after seeing him play us last year (i mean, the guy struggled with Fina...). Although, I guess it is a compliment that an "off year" from a statistical standpoint still produced great numbers!

I think that with the exception of a few people to reply, you guys were classy about my questions.... AND I MUST REPEAT THIS SO THAT YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND.... I FEEL JT IS A GREAT PLAYER WHO WILL PLAY EVEN BETTER IF THE REST OF THE DL IMPROVES!!! (choice 3)

My Final RANKINGS!!!!!

1) Jevon Kearse
2) Micheal Strahan
3) Marcellus Wiley (despite mising a few games last year, he was 2nd in the AFC with 13 sacks!)
4) Courtney Brown
5) Hugh Douglass
6) Abraham (LOVE his potential -he is already great, but he can only get better! -although I don't like the jets, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS GUY!)
7t) Robert Porcher (although, with increasing age his performance is dropping...)
7t) Jason Taylor
9) Little (former linebacker, is underated in his run-support ability and overall play -he had 14.5 sacks in only 13 games!!!)
10) McCrary wins it, with Brackens(relentless player with little recognition due to lack of "being in the spotlight" -due to bad record of Jags) in a close 2nd. KBG needs to show me he is not one-dimensional, then he would push for a higher spot.

I think you were reading my post wrong. Technically speaking, the LE lines up over the RT. Positions on defense are addressed from the defense's point of view (facing the offense). Just some semantics was all.

......and thanks guys for the INT. I remembered it but forgot to include it.

The title of this thread is ridiculous and a childs attempt at sarcasm! Moulds**** started the conversation with trash talk! Is JT losing it? GG please, what kind of question is that! He's just now coming into his own, hell, Strahan has been in the league for 100 years and he's just now separating himself. Dont come here with your JT questions, why do you care what we think, you know we think hes top 3 at least, go ask your fans a better question, " Who do we have to stop JT."

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the basic flaw in your arguement is that you think that Jason Taylor's overall play went down last year. When in fact it went up. Statistics do not always tell the complete story. It is possible to make 20 good defensive plays in a row and only record one tackle.

I was just stating what I saw from 3 games last year, 2 vs. the Bills(and the worst OL in the league) and 1 vs. the Jets (one of the best OL's in the league last year)

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
I was just stating what I saw from 3 games last year, 2 vs. the Bills(and the worst OL in the league) and 1 vs. the Jets (one of the best OL's in the league last year)

Must not have been looking hard. He had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in the 2 Bills games.

Yeah seriously. Sacks aren't the only thing you look for in a DE. He had the most tackles of any DE in the league 4 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries, 7 passes defensed, and an interception. How exactly did his "overall" play go down? Is it just the sacks? It must be since you have Hugh Douglass ranked above JT. Its not like JT's sack total was terrible either. 9 is pretty damn good.

I completely disagree with Douglass or Porcher being ranked above JT on the list. The other guys are guys that its just an opinion factor...Wiley, Abraham, Brown, etc. Depends on what you prefer in a DE. But I remember Douglass right now, he COMPLETELY disappears against the run, almost as bad as the Arizona Cardinal days for Simeon Rice. And Porcher I'm sorry but he's really really lost something. He's just not as active as JT anymore.

Porcher is not ranked above JT..... An I did admit that his performance was dropping.....

so he got 2 sacks off Fina and Hulsey! Wow! That's great.... Especially considering we had RJ at QB..... Like you guys have said stats don't tell the whole story. I watched JT almost every play in those games and he did nothing special that scared me as much as he did in 2000. He looked "out of it" on many plays and seemed to be less intense as the game went on while he struggled against our OL.

As for JT having a lot of tackles.... you guys were run on a lot last year(due to a great secondary), and had only the 17th ranked run D, he was the only player on the DL capable of getting tackles! Especially considering all the injuries. You guys say stats aren't everything then you are hypocritical, using stats if they support your opinion....

Just from what I saw last year, his performance was not what it was in 2000 and he seemed lost at times, trying to shed numerous blockers due to injuries and horrible play from other members on your DL. I have said throughout this thread that he is a stud DE, but he struggled last year(and for good reason) and I was wondering what everyone thought about him.

Hey man. How else is a defensive lineman supposed to get tackles?? They don't tackle WRs. They tackle QBs and RBs. The fact is that Taylor became a complete player in 2001. I can tell because I watched 17 games last year. The only stat that went down from 2000 was sacks. Every other stat went up. And JT developed more pass rush moves last offseason.

Back
Top Bottom