Jay cannot be the starting QB next year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay cannot be the starting QB next year

It wont be like the last few years it will be worse. Every year he has been here the talent around him increases yet the proximity to the playoffs gets less and less. GET HIM OUT!!!

What about the last (2) seasons?? Not that I want Kay Fiedler here, but Jay didn't give up 35 points to the Eagles, Jay didn't miss (2) cake field goals vs the Patriots, Jay didn't fumble the ball like Griese did vs the Colts. So Fiedler isn't 100% responsible for us not getting to the playoffs, there were a few other key plays and players that caused it as well.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
It wont be like the last few years it will be worse. Every year he has been here the talent around him increases yet the proximity to the playoffs gets less and less. GET HIM OUT!!!
the talent on D was not gonna help Jay look like a better QB. No one was gonna be a decent QB for that OL last year and with DT playing soo poorly as a #2 WR

Originally posted by dolphan39
the talent on D was not gonna help Jay look like a better QB. No one was gonna be a decent QB for that OL last year and with DT playing soo poorly as a #2 WR
Agreed!! :)

There are several positions to upgrade on the offense and Jay is one of them. That's all I will say.

uh.....I would love to upgrade Jay....but should I also point out the fact that a 10-6 record for the 2002 season would have won the AFCeast yet this year we don't even make a wild card spot? Things aren't the same every year. Dreadlocker, you seem to have a repeated hatred for Jay, and although I and others would like to see him be replaced by someone better, he isn't the main cause for all of our losses.

1) Houston - Defense literally told Houston they'll see them after "practice" ; Mare misses a FG as well
2) Ne Home - Mare....misses 2 FG attempts
2) Titans - Defense allowed 2 TDs on first 2 possesions by Titans forcing us into a shooting match we aren't designed to win (thanks for showing up boys)
4) Philly - 24 !!!! missed tackles by the defense although our O puts up 27pts.
5) Ne away - questionable FG by the pats, poor playcalling by Norv, McMichael doesn't pick up a blitz (2nd time of the game, first time we were 3 & 3 going in for a TD and then Jay's sacked) and Fiedler throws a crappy pass.
6) Colts - the one game we were outcoached and thus outplayed on. Even then we could have won the game but Ricky misses a chipshot on the RDE (Freeney) who swings around and nails BG who has no idea to look around to see what is going on and gets sacked and fumbles the ball. We deserved to lose that game, but still could have won.

So.....I KNOW jay isn't the greatest QB but you look at our losses and tell me how Jay is responsible for all of them. Please do so.

Our Defense is our bread and butter, we all know that. If you want to pay a QB 10-15mill/year to counter Jay then by all means....but realize that our superstar Defense will be dimantled and become mediocre. Our highly paid defense is supposed to shut down high powered offenses which should leave our average/mediocre Offense to attack and score enough points against the opposing 'average' or below average defense......which we do more often then not. You can't have it both ways. We're not designed to be high-powered on O, and to get there would require losing several key Defensive members.

Thankfully, despite our offense being below avg. last year due to various reasons, we can fix the majority of it with a solid #2 WR and a minimum of 2 guys for the Oline. Then we go back to being avg. / maybe just above avg and we win even more games.

NOt to mention that when Zach Thomas doesn't play (Titans) our defense absolutely s*cks!!

Originally posted by jbond
uh.....I would love to upgrade Jay....but should I also point out the fact that a 10-6 record for the 2002 season would have won the AFCeast yet this year we don't even make a wild card spot? Things aren't the same every year. Dreadlocker, you seem to have a repeated hatred for Jay, and although I and others would like to see him be replaced by someone better, he isn't the main cause for all of our losses.

1) Houston - Defense literally told Houston they'll see them after "practice" ; Mare misses a FG as well
2) Titans - Defense allowed 2 TDs on first 2 possesions by Titans forcing us into a shooting match we aren't designed to win (thanks for showing up boys)
5) Ne away - questionable FG by the pats, poor playcalling by Norv, McMichael doesn't pick up a blitz (2nd time of the game, first time we were 3 & 3 going in for a TD and then Jay's sacked) and Fiedler throws a crappy pass.
6) Colts - the one game we were outcoached and thus outplayed on. Even then we could have won the game but Ricky misses a chipshot on the RDE (Freeney) who swings around and nails BG who has no idea to look around to see what is going on and gets sacked and fumbles the ball. We deserved to lose that game, but still could have won.

So.....I KNOW jay isn't the greatest QB but you look at our losses and tell me how Jay is responsible for all of them. Please do so.

Our Defense is our bread and butter, we all know that. If you want to pay a QB 10-15mill/year to counter Jay then by all means....but realize that our superstar Defense will be dimantled and become mediocre. Our highly paid defense is supposed to shut down high powered offenses which should leave our average/mediocre Offense to attack and score enough points against the opposing 'average' or below average defense......which we do more often then not. You can't have it both ways. We're not designed to be high-powered on O, and to get there would require losing several key Defensive members.

Thankfully, despite our offense being below avg. last year due to various reasons, we can fix the majority of it with a solid #2 WR and a minimum of 2 guys for the Oline. Then we go back to being avg. / maybe just above avg and we win even more games.

I am not going to go game by game and I dont hate Jay I just think he is holding a very talented and aging team from getting to the next step. In most situations the most obvious play, like a missed FG, was not Jay's fault. However is propensity to miss wide open receivers, throw picks and get injured puts us in the situation where we need that FG to win. He, of course, is not solely responsible but he has had 4 years with a talented cast around him and shown little improvement. I feel the experiment should be concluded and another year with him at the helm will be just that, only another year. Does anyone who watched the "Jay era" feel he is the guy who can and SHOULD take us to the super bowl??? I for one do not.

I agree with jbond, Jay isn't the only problem. But he's still a mediocre QB trying to lead an elite team. We need an elite QB. Think of all the overthrown passes that would've been huge gains and TD's, a couple missed FG's wouldn't have mattered then.

Our team isn't ELITE until we get a consistent WR opposite Chambers and some decent offensive lineman. Our defense needs to play good all the time and in clutch siuations. With the names on our defense, there is no reason we shouldn't be #1 in almost every statistical catagory.

Originally posted by jbond

Awesome post! All points were right on.

True all the things listed
D tackling
O Line
#2 WR
and QB need to be improved.
However the only one that has not been attempted as an upgrade is Jay. BG was brought in Lieu of Lucas not Jay. We have tried to bring in better tackling and heart with buckley, seau and knight. We tried to improve the line with the Tackle from Pittsburgh (Gandy?) and tried to improve WR#2 with thompson. Why not try and improve the guy who touches the ball on every play? Its time.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
True all the things listed
D tackling
O Line
#2 WR
and QB need to be improved.
However the only one that has not been attempted as an upgrade is Jay. BG was brought in Lieu of Lucas not Jay. We have tried to bring in better tackling and heart with buckley, seau and knight. We tried to improve the line with the Tackle from Pittsburgh (Gandy?) and tried to improve WR#2 with thompson. Why not try and improve the guy who touches the ball on every play? Its time.

I think most of us agree that the position needs to be upgraded but that there's no sense in making a change just to make a change (i.e. bring in another QB who's probably not going to be much of an upgrade) or overpay for a washed up has been like Brunell (a second round pick is WAAAAAY too much to pay for that guy.) If the 'Fins can get Brunell without having to give up any more than a 5th, trade for Ramsey, or grab a solid rookie, then I'm all for change, otherwise, Jay's about the best option available.

Back
Top Bottom