Jay Cutler's Big Bad Arm -- | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Cutler's Big Bad Arm --

UncleJamFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not that anyone cares, but I am going on record as saying that this Jay Cutler hype is very strange. I can't recall seeing or hearing sooooo much hype on a player in the last few weeks as I have with Cutler. I am, by no means, a Cutler-hater -- but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the obvious All Hail Cutler rumblings from the Mock and Pre-Draft experts. As someone mentioned previously, Cutler made a few throws that were OK at the combine that Mayock nearly gushed himself with praise and admiration over, that were bettered by Croyle and Jacobs, specifically. Not a conspiricy theorist, but good lord, is seems as the manufacture of the publicity is intended for some team to purge their draft picks (see R. Williams New Orleans) in order to jump up and get him. I'm happy with the BPA at 16, and Croyle or Jacobs in latter rounds, if available. But for those of you who have not seen J. Cutler play football, please click on the following linkage and scroll to SEC FOOTBALL -- Sat, Sep 17, 2005 Mississippi at Vanderbilt -or- sat, Nov 19, 2005 Vanderbilt at Tennessee. Muc'as Gra'shucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegebroadcast/teams/jps

they really like him because of his willingness to do better, prove himself and want to learn

primetime23 said:
they really like him because of his willingness to do better, prove himself and want to learn

You just described 95% of the QBs in the draft.

UncleJamFinFan said:
Not that anyone cares, but I am going on record as saying that this Jay Cutler hype is very strange. I can't recall seeing or hearing sooooo much hype on a player in the last few weeks as I have with Cutler. I am, by no means, a Cutler-hater -- but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the obvious All Hail Cutler rumblings from the Mock and Pre-Draft experts. As someone mentioned previously, Cutler made a few throws that were OK at the combine that Mayock nearly gushed himself with praise and admiration over, that were bettered by Croyle and Jacobs, specifically. Not a conspiricy theorist, but good lord, is seems as the manufacture of the publicity is intended for some team to purge their draft picks (see R. Williams New Orleans) in order to jump up and get him. I'm happy with the BPA at 16, and Croyle or Jacobs in latter rounds, if available. But for those of you who have not seen J. Cutler play football, please click on the following linkage and scroll to SEC FOOTBALL -- Sat, Sep 17, 2005 Mississippi at Vanderbilt -or- sat, Nov 19, 2005 Vanderbilt at Tennessee. Muc'as Gra'shucks.

Jay Cutler....

You have to understand, Jay Cutler has a lot of things people look for into a QB. He has a big arm, he's proven that he won't break easily in the big games (See Vandy vs. UF). He has great mobility (I don't where this 'he has no mobility' thing comes from). He's very confident, ****y even. And it is arguable that if Matt Lienart and Jay was in each other's shoes, USC would of still had those two national titles. Don't get me wrong, mechanics needs work. But hey, has some intangibles and what not to build on.

UncleJamFinFan said:
...I am going on record as saying that this Jay Cutler hype is very strange. I can't recall seeing or hearing sooooo much hype on a player in the last few weeks as I have with Cutler...
The hype is quite baffling. I thought that Croyle had a better Senior bowl practice without the hype.

That being said, now is not the time to peak. Vince Young's stock sky-rocketed after the terrific Rose bowl win. Since then his stock has equalized. The CutlerGasms will likely ebb in time and Leinhart and Young will regain their rightful place.

Silverphin said:
Jay Cutler....

You have to understand, Jay Cutler has a lot of things people look for into a QB. He has a big arm, he's proven that he won't break easily in the big games (See Vandy vs. UF). He has great mobility (I don't where this 'he has no mobility' thing comes from). He's very confident, ****y even. And it is arguable that if Matt Lienart and Jay was in each other's shoes, USC would of still had those two national titles. Don't get me wrong, mechanics needs work. But hey, has some intangibles and what not to build on.

I totally agree with you

Silverphin said:
Jay Cutler....

There may be some truth to that, but then again, You cant measure how somone handles pressure in a combine. You can only measure it in real big time games. What big time game has Cutler played in and absolutely wowed people in? All of a sudden, he comes along after Vince Young proves to the world in a game with all time ratings and shows he handles the most extreme pressure of all, real easy like, and now Vince Young is overrated and has a crappy throw? I just get baffled at how people put so much stock in what they see off of a football field, and dispell what they saw before there very eyes on National TV in the biggest game of the year!

finfan54 said:
There may be some truth to that, but then again, You cant measure how somone handles pressure in a combine. You can only measure it in real big time games. What big time game has Cutler played in and absolutely wowed people in? All of a sudden, he comes along after Vince Young proves to the world in a game with all time ratings and shows he handles the most extreme pressure of all, real easy like, and now Vince Young is overrated and has a crappy throw? I just get baffled at how people put so much stock in what they see off of a football field, and dispell what they saw before there very eyes on National TV in the biggest game of the year!

He wowed peaople in the Vandy vs. UF game. As for Vince Young, I never questioned him. I believe both Young and Cutler are very good QB's. One has won the national title, and the other one isn't even supposed to be that good just because he's from Vanderbilt. (And yes, I'm baffled about how they think Young is overrated too).

Silverphin said:
He wowed peaople in the Vandy vs. UF game.
Croyle lit up Florida's pass defense as well. He was 14/17 for 283 yards, 82.4%, 16.6 y/a with 3 TDs and 0 ints.

I think that compares pretty favorably to Cutler's 28/42 for 361 yards, 66.7%, 8.6 y/a, 4 TDs and 2 ints.

BamaPhinFan said:
Croyle lit up Florida's pass defense as well. He was 14/17 for 283 yards, 82.4%, 16.6 y/a with 3 TDs and 0 ints.

I think that compares pretty favorably to Cutler's 28/42 for 361 yards, 66.7%, 8.6 y/a, 4 TDs and 2 ints.

Croyle also didn't play them in the Swamp and had much better WRs. 85 of those yards were on one play by Prothro.

UncleJamFinFan said:
Not that anyone cares, but I am going on record as saying that this Jay Cutler hype is very strange. I can't recall seeing or hearing sooooo much hype on a player in the last few weeks as I have with Cutler..

The first time I heard about Cutler moving up into the top rounds of the draft was around November, when news leaked out that Saban was already inquiring about him. Saban still has a lot of friends here in Louisiana, so when he starts inquiring about players in the SEC, it gets around pretty fast. But, I believe he was figuring we would be drafting in the top 5-10 picks. I think if he would have known we would rip off six straight to end the season,and fall down to the middle of the rounds, he may have kept his enthusiam for the guy to himself.

Saban obviously likes the guy, so I am going to believe he has some pretty good potential.

SpeedRush99 said:
Croyle also didn't play them in the Swamp and had much better WRs. 85 of those yards were on one play by Prothro.

And this is what I hear about Cutler in the end. He didnt have this.....didnt have that.........but hey! He did 23 reps of bench press! wooooo! Its hype. He earned it fair and square. But that is what this thread is about.

If there was a situation that I would compare Cutler to it is Ben Rothlisberger, but the one thing that keeps grabbing at me is that rothlisberger had a winner at Miami of Ohio. Vanderbilt wasnt a winner as far as I know, at least not like Ben had at M of O. Im sure Bens WR were no world beaters either.

finfan54 said:
And this is what I hear about Cutler in the end. He didnt have this.....didnt have that.........but hey! He did 23 reps of bench press! wooooo! Its hype. He earned it fair and square. But that is what this thread is about.

If there was a situation that I would compare Cutler to it is Ben Rothlisberger, but the one thing that keeps grabbing at me is that rothlisberger had a winner at Miami of Ohio. Vanderbilt wasnt a winner as far as I know, at least not like Ben had at M of O. Im sure Bens WR were no world beaters either.

Big Ben is reportedly working the Steelers to draft one of his former recievers in the later rounds, not sure what his name is but heard that today on Sirius.

finfan54 said:

miami of ohio is better than vanderbilt, which shows just how weak vanderbilt is. not only that, but the SEC is 1100 times better than the MAC. the only time roethlisberger faced a team even close to the talent of the average SEC team, was the first game of his junior seaosn against iowa, where he was just awful. it's a lot easier to win at miami (oh) when you're playing central michigan and kent state every year. not so easy when you have LSU, florida, alabama, tennessee, etc on your schedule.

Not at all saying that I don't like Cutler or want to see him in a Fins uniform, but all the hype is because everybody's doing it. It's the cool thing to do right now.

Back
Top Bottom