Jay renegotiating deal right now as we speak to stay with fins............. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay renegotiating deal right now as we speak to stay with fins.............

akfinfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins QB Jay Fiedler is in negotiations with the Dolphins to restructure his contract so he can remain with the team. Fiedler is not willing to take a pay cut from the $3.7 million in base salary he is due for 2004, but the restructured deal is expected to guarantee part of his base salary in order to reduce his salary cap number of $5.577 million.

They will probably extend the years to lessen the signing bonus hit this year. I still say he needs to go but I would give him some leeway for at least attempting to help the team out.

If Feeley wins the job in training camp, I bet you'd see Fiedler take an outright cut. The Phins would have all the leverage at that point.

what a loser taking up a roster spot we could fill with someon that has upside in the draft

I'm sure he won't be getting his 2mill bonus......that's water under the bridge at this point. He'll take alot lower base salary with the incentive that if he starts the majority of the games he'll get the 3.5 total he wants for the year....if not he'll get maybe 1.5 or so which is just as much as he'd get as a backup anywhere else. At least here, he'll have the opportunity to compete to start and maybe get his 3.5 which is why he's thinking of staying instead of being guaranteed to play 2nd fiddle to someone else with no chance to make over 1.5

Originally posted by phunwin
If Feeley wins the job in training camp, I bet you'd see Fiedler take an outright cut. The Phins would have all the leverage at that point.

Yyyep!

Originally posted by FinaticPatch
what a loser taking up a roster spot we could fill with someon that has upside in the draft

dude, you get me Rivers or Henson.....and I'll say goodbye to Fiedler.....other then that I'll take a pass on anyone else this year(that is assuming the Eli and Big Ben are gone as well).

Originally posted by jbond

dude, you get me Rivers or Henson.....and I'll say goodbye to Fiedler.....other then that I'll take a pass on anyone else this year(that is assuming the Eli and Big Ben are gone as well).

River would be an upgrade over Jay hid rookie year

this article By Alex Marvez is a little better on the same subject IMO Source says Fiedler might want to stay after all than Coles ( http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8074635.htm )

One potential scenario would have the Dolphins substantially reducing Fiedler's projected 2004 cap number of $5.56 million by giving a restructured contract that would include a signing bonus and lower base salary. The Dolphins could then add another year to Fiedler's contract to further spread the prorated portion of the signing bonus, which would lower his 2004 cap number by an even larger amount.

A restructured deal also would eliminate a $2 million option bonus in Fiedler's contract. The Dolphins weren't expected to pay the bonus by the April 15 deadline, which would have resulted in Fiedler's contract being shortened by one season to 2005 and raised his cap number by accelerating the prorated part of his previous signing bonus.

We can pick someone up in the draft (we can have what 83 players total or something until we have to cut before preseason).....and cut Jay before June 1st....before his 2mill bonus is due, and after we draft one of them if we can......of make a trade for Ramsey who I'd take as well.

Back
Top Bottom