JC's first post-combine mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JC's first post-combine mock

RonnieB23 said:
No chance we pick Lawson over Justice, not after the combine he had, Tackle is just a bigger need and this a deep draft for both position. I think Young will be going to Oakland. I Like the mock, one of the best i've seen.

Well we need lb's for a 3-4 and Manny could be a very good one with alot of speed to rush the QB. Capers is gunna have some very nice blitz packages for us!

Juan Cribbs said:
you use too many "perfect world" scenarios flint. teams don't go strictly by need in the first. even teams with "so many holes."
It's not that they're perfect world scenarios. If a team can get a very good prospect at a position they need or an excellent prospect at a position they don't need, I think that's an easy decision. I know most of the mindset behind the "best player available" approach to drafting. However, with few exceptions, if there is a clear answer to that question they are likely gone by that time.

Taking the best player available is usually a long-term prospect. You might be able to do this with the hopes of getting something in return for either the player you're drafting or the player you're replacing. Investing is usually wise, but if teams don't address needs they aren't going to contend.

The best player available usually fits teams with no glaring needs. San Francisco taking a tight end is nonsensical because they need defense ultimately more than anything else. Common sense tells you that if you don't address your needs in the draft, you need to address them in free agency. Teams with greater need usually build through the draft. The additional problem is that drafted players do not always become what they're advertised as. For every Heath Miller, there's a Kellen Winslow Jr. out there. San Francisco would run the risk of drafting a bust at a position they really don't need. The potential risk associated with this move is far greater than the potential benefit. Additionally, it doesn't particularly help them win.

Back
Top Bottom