Jeff Ireland 2005 draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland 2005 draft

brent

Starter
Reaction score
Jeff was promoted to VP of Scouting for a reason in 2005. In his first draft I see six starters and out of that I see three pro bowlers. This maybe the best one year draft this decade. Oh yea, C Cory Proctor was signed during that season as well and has been a solid backup.

Round Pick Player Pos School
1 11(11) Demarcus Ware OLB Troy
1 20(20) Marcus Spears DE LSU
2 10(42) Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
4 8(109) Marion Barber HB Minnesota
4 31(132) Chris Canty DE Virginia
6 34(208) Justin Berlault S Ball St.
6 35(209) Rob Petitti OT Pittsburgh
7 10(224) Jay Ratliff DE Auburn

only one player from that draft didn't contribute to the team in some way (Berlault). Everybody else has started games in the league.

I credit Ireland more than BP too knowing BP's history BUT those great picks still have yet to win a playoff game.

I credit Ireland more than BP too knowing BP's history BUT those great picks still have yet to win a playoff game.
And as long as they have Wade Phillips, they probably never will.

so if Romo hadn't fumbled the snap those picks are suddenly more impressive? :rolleyes2:

I agree but they didn't win anything w/ BP either.

I agree with you. But my point is that not up to Jeff thats up the Coaches and Players to win games. Jeff's job to go and find and pick players.

The main reason I bring this thread up is you really can only tell how well you did when you look back 5 years after a draft. His first was one of the top this decade.

I agree but they didn't win anything w/ BP either.
I guess that's the simple way of looking at things, disregarding the fact that that draft class didn't make the entire team. I know it's a league of instant gratification, but expecting a draft class to win playoff games by the second year seems a bit much. If Sanchez doesn't win some playoff games next year, is he a bust? Does that mean you had a bad draft this year? Of course not.

The Cowboys are a damn good team with a bad coach and an owner that is far to involved in the direct management of the team, and they built themselves the right way, through the draft. Their biggest mistakes have been through FA and trades (and, of course, Bobby Carpenter...not sure what BP was thinking there). As much as I dislike the Cowboys (even more so now that I live in Dallas), they have most of the correct pieces in place.

so if Romo hadn't fumbled the snap those picks are suddenly more impressive? :rolleyes2:

It happened, they were also a much better team than the Giants the next year and lost at home.

Good teams find ways to win those games. In years BP has been involved in picking players his teams have won a grand total of ONE playoff game. You guys are lucky he brought Ireland and that when BP leaves after this year Ireland and Sparano are in place for long term success.

I guess that's the simple way of looking at things, disregarding the fact that that draft class didn't make the entire team. I know it's a league of instant gratification, but expecting a draft class to win playoff games by the second year seems a bit much. If Sanchez doesn't win some playoff games next year, is he a bust? Does that mean you had a bad draft this year? Of course not.

The Cowboys are a damn good team with a bad coach and an owner that is far to involved in the direct management of the team, and they built themselves the right way, through the draft. Their biggest mistakes have been through FA and trades (and, of course, Bobby Carpenter...not sure what BP was thinking there). As much as I dislike the Cowboys (even more so now that I live in Dallas), they have most of the correct pieces in place.

It's not just that draft class, BP was drafting their from '03-'06, that is 5 drafts. At some point those guys need to step up and win some playoff games to validate their lofty rankings.

As usual you have something productive to post:rolleyes2:

yep....not so different from you actually....you will mention something ANY team outside of the Jets might have done well and immediately find another way to discredit and tear it down.

You take a guy who has done a hell of a job finding talent outside of the first round....much unlike the Jets and you have to immediately throw in some **** about them not winning a playoff game, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with him....

Unless it relates to the Jets or you mancrush Brady, you have to find a reason to tear it down.

It happened, they were also a much better team than the Giants the next year and lost at home.

Good teams find ways to win those games. In years BP has been involved in picking players his teams have won a grand total of ONE playoff game. You guys are lucky he brought Ireland and that when BP leaves after this year Ireland and Sparano are in place for long term success.
OH, somehow i thought you were trying to twist the original premise of this thread (Irelands excellent scouting in 2005) to negate those players or Bill Parcells. Please excuse me.

It's not just that draft class, BP was drafting their from '03-'06, that is 5 drafts. At some point those guys need to step up and win some playoff games to validate their lofty rankings.
Ah, I see, this is an attack on BP, despite the fact that the thread was discussing Jeff Ireland's first directed draft. Maybe you are alluding to an idea that the Phins will never win a playoff game under BP and Jeff Ireland, despite the fact that he has won a playoff game at every team he's coached EXCEPT the cowboys? You are still disregarding the other issues with the team here. Terrell Owens was a bad decision. Wasn't BP's. The Roy Williams trade was one of the worst I've seen since Spielman was here. Wasn't BP's. He simply couldn't escape the meddling hands of Jones...and for some reason he insisted on sticking with Bledsoe, a cursed QB if I've ever seen one.

Having to watch far too many Cowboys games, it's very clear that the biggest problem with this team is the current coaching. Oh, and kicking. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom