Jerome Stevens DT Washington | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jerome Stevens DT Washington

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Hello,

Well, just when I was about to burn out I uncovered another rookie FA. Jerome Stevens, a DT from Washington, has signed with Miami. Found it in a Washington newspaper. Anyone who knows about this guy is welcome to share. Thanks,

Lee2000

Profile on player

Jerome Stevens

Class:
Senior

Hometown:
Oxnard, Calif.

High School:
Rio Mesa High School

Height / Weight:
6-3 / 295

Position:
DT

Birthdate:
10/19/1980

Experience:
4V

Washington: Four-time letterwinnner... known as a solid run stopper ... also saw action at defensive end. 2003: started all 12 games at defensive tackle ... was tied with four Huskies for second on the team in sacks with four ... finished the season with 36 tackles, 7.5 for loss ... named the King-TV Most Improved Player (defense) and the L. Wait Rising Lineman of the Year at the annual football awards banquet. 2002: A regular in the Huskies’ three-man rotation at defensive tackle ... started two games, Wyoming and Idaho ... compiled 23 tackles on the year, with a high of three each in the San Jose State, Wyoming, Arizona, Arizona State and Purdue games ... recorded sacks vs. Wyoming and Oregon ... part of an excellent Husky rush defense that ranked 11th in the nation with just 97.7 yards allowed per game ... also had five tackles for loss. 2001: Set career-highs with 11 games played and seven starts … was among the team leaders with three tackles for loss … tallied a career-best 20 tackles … part of a Husky run defense that allowed no rushing touchdowns to the team’s first four opponents … had season-high five tackles, including one for loss, in Huskies’ 23-18 win over 10th-ranked Michigan … tallied four tackles in 42-28 defeat of No. 10 Stanford … dropped Stanford’s Brian Allen for a loss of 10 yards in win over the Cardinal … also recorded a tackle-for-loss in 31-28 come-from-behind win against Arizona ... had two tackles, including one for-loss, in 2001 Holiday Bowl. 2000: Appeared in nine games as the backup to Marcus Roberson ... part of a defensive line that racked up 21.5 sacks and 39 tackles for loss ... of his seven tackles, three were for loss ... made one tackle in Huskies’ 34-24 Rose Bowl win ... made first-career start in Huskies’ 51-3 win at Washington State, tallying three tackles, one for loss, and teaming with Jeremiah Pharms for first career sack ... stuffed Oregon’s Maurice Morris for a loss ... recovered a fumble in UW’s 21-15 win at Arizona State ... also had a tackle-for-loss in fourth quarter Arizona game.

High School and Personal: Enrolled at Washington in spring 2000 ... born Oct. 19, 1980 ... a first-team All-Ventura County selection ... named first-team All-CIF ... a team captain for the Spartans ... made 135 tackles including four sacks as a linebacker ... also earned letters in basketball and track ... played for coach George Contreras at Rio Mesa ... Contreras is a Washington graduate who played on special teams for the Huskies in the late 1960s ... a sociology major.

Year G-S Solo Asst. Tot. Loss FC FR PD Int. Sacks
2000 9-1 3 4 7 3-12 0 1-0 0 0-0 0.5-7
2001 11-7 6 14 20 3-13 0 0-0 2 0-0 0-0
2002 13-2 13 10 23 5-25 0 0-0 0 0-0 2-15
2003 12-12 21 15 36 7.5-31 0 0-0 0 0-0 4-20
Totals 45-22 43 43 86 18.5-81 0 1-0 2 0-0 6.5-42

Take it easy Lee. I don't see any rookie free agent making this team this year. I know that some have made it in the past but we have a lot of talent everywhere this year so all these rookies are just bodies for training camp. I'd be very surprised if any of them last past the first cut.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
Take it easy Lee. I don't see any rookie free agent making this team this year. I know that some have made it in the past but we have a lot of talent everywhere this year so all these rookies are just bodies for training camp. I'd be very surprised if any of them last past the first cut.

Ozzy rules!!

Should we remind you of this when a handful make it past first cut and 1--maybe even 2 make the roster? Guaranteed a few make the practice squad. Don't dismiss these guys.

I'd have to agree w/ Danny. This team is pretty talented right now so I would be suprised if any of these undrafted guys made the team. Of course, I also acknowledge that one never really knows and if they are bringing them in...then...well.... As long as the best talent takes the field.

BTW, anyone have any idea if we are bringing in more/less Undrafted guys this year then past years? Also, anyone have any numbers on the number of undrafted guys who have made the team in years past? :confused:

I agree with Danny. We're going overboard with these undrafted FAs. Remember, they went undrafted for a reason.
Don't bother mentioning Ogun or Jeff Garcia, I know there are exceptions.

UDFA that made our teams in the past few years

Trent Gamble
Robert Baker
Adewale Ogunleye
Tommy Hendricks
Billy Yates
Greg Jerman
Otis Grigsby

Other players on our roster that were originally UDFA with someone else

Derrius Thompson
Larry Chester
Jay Fiedler
Jay Williams (originally an UDFA for MIAMI...a little known fact)
Tony Brown

So last year, we had 10 players on our roster that were originally UNDRAFTED. Now, do we overanalyze every UDFA signing? Of course not, most of these guys will never see Sunday afternoon. But somewhere one or more will make an impact with us or someone else.

Hey E80....Thanxs!

I had no idea that this many undrafted guys made the team. Guess it proves that there are diamonds out there if one can sift through the draft smokescreen. I assumed like 1-2 players...no idea this many. Hendricks, OGun...Fiedler......wow. :eek:

LdoubleE80 said:

Trent Gamble
Robert Baker
Adewale Ogunleye
Tommy Hendricks
Billy Yates
Greg Jerman
Otis Grigsby

Derrius Thompson
Larry Chester
Jay Fiedler
Tony Brown

So last year, we had 10 players on our roster that were originally UNDRAFTED. Now, do we overanalyze every UDFA signing? Of course not, most of these guys will never see Sunday afternoon. But somewhere one or more will make an impact with us or someone else.

Great post dude. Well said.

Here is the thing with me on UDFA. It can turn out to be a guy we have on the practice squad that we have to sign later in the year due to injury to a starter. Plus, if i am correct add Sammy Knight to the name of UDFA on our current roster.Even though the Saints signed him as an UDFA. origionally.Dolfanreal69

I hope the coaches just take the best talent. I would hate to see a guy not make the team because he wasn't drafted. Too many coaches keep a guy because he cost money to sign. I'd rather keep someone who will produce.

I think Fred Russell will get a long look. The kid could return kicks and could be our third back.

Udfa

LdoubleE80 said:

Trent Gamble
Robert Baker
Adewale Ogunleye
Tommy Hendricks
Billy Yates
Greg Jerman
Otis Grigsby

Derrius Thompson
Larry Chester
Jay Fiedler
Tony Brown

Very nice post, I agree that sometimes you just never know what diamond you will find in the rough ! I wouldnt call Fielder a diamond, maybe a ruby.:fire:

Practice squads are now 8 players not 5.....that's why many teams took players in late rds that are true projects.

Undrafted FAs sometimes make the team (practice squads) because they have more potential than guys on the team...For example, it is possible, if Gamble and Howard and Edwards and Freeman all do very well, that Wooden will be dropped over an UFA that shows some promise. (don't get on me, this is just an example of who could be cut...a lot of things have to happen first, I know that). That is why you can never count these guys out...and DT is a position that we are thin on other than the 3 man rotation. So if this guy shows some promise, I can see that being a position where we keep an UFA...

Back
Top Bottom