Jerry Rice | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jerry Rice

mor911 said:
I don't like it when players play past there time. If he would have retired after the San Fransisco era, he would have retired a champion. Now he's playing WAY past his prime, and his skills are deteriorating. If he keeps playing then he's going to end up leaving the league as "just another WR."

Funny you say that cause 2 years ago he had like 90 catches and over 1000 yards still...

Right now he is in the top 50 recievers in the nfl playing

Saban4prez said:
now i could be wrong, but i believe he's close to a huge milestone. tds i believe. idk how many. i would love to see him get it if the right opportunity would come along. (actually, i'd kinda like him to resign with the niners and finish his career there. that'd be kinda cool) but i'd love to see him as an analyst too.
Don't get me wrong. I hope for all the best for Mr. Rice. My personal opinion (which I do have the ability to express in america people) is that he should have retired after San Fran. :)

Don't get me wrong. I hope for all the best for Mr. Rice. My personal opinion (which I do have the ability to express in america people) is that he should have retired after San Fran.

He played in another super bowl though. they may have lost but that was far from his fault. and the raiders offense that season was one of the best ever.

LOL..this all reminds me of Cris Carter's return....LOL that was a real hoot!! All i see is him catching that 1st ball on MNF..and back pedaling into a defender and fumbling!!! NIce start!! that play turned that game around!!! Yeah I say no to Jerry....

Buddwalk said:
Funny you say that cause 2 years ago he had like 90 catches and over 1000 yards still...

Right now he is in the top 50 recievers in the nfl playing

How can you say that? He was the 4th reciever on the "I can't catch the ball no matter what" Seahawks. He was great but he is done. Saying he is one of the top 50 still is just wrong.

death7star said:
no.
HE IS DONE.
ANOTHER DUMB THREAD by a new poster.
dude shut up just chill a lil bit...the guy just wanted to know what we thought of him going to another team

Buddwalk said:
dude shut up just chill a lil bit...the guy just wanted to know what we thought of him going to another team
yeah, this ain't a bad thread.... Just an arguement prone one... lol

I can't believe Rice isn't getting more respect than this. The guy can still get open, if only via an insane amount of experience and cunning. Besides, "open" isn't even an issue on a timing route. You're always open for the split second it takes if the pass is thrown right. Besides that he is still extremely reliable catching the ball and a pro at knowing where he is on the field and what it takes to make the play that needs to be made (kill the clock, save the clock, get another 1/2 yard, etc.) He's also one of the last guys I'd want lined up against me in the red zone, where the short field makes cunning, timing and subtly more important than speed. Rice can still make any corner in the league look like an idiot in the red zone at least once per game.

As for having "ought" to have retired years ago... WTF? What is wrong with playing past your prime? Does it offend some bizarre sense of football etiquette you have? Why is it bad for a star to play until he's merely average, but not bad for a player that has never been more than merely average to play at all? It strikes me as being some kind of distaste for seeing decline, which is understandable but not the kind of thing you actually bring up as a reason for the guy to retire. He doesn't play to make you feel good. It strikes me something like wishing Beethoven had just died instead of going deaf, as if he were no use except at the top of his game.

That said, Miami is not the place for Rice. He wants to be on the field as much as possible, not just a locker-room asset or a third-down slot receiver. We just wouldn't use him that much.

mor911 said:
I don't like it when players play past there time. If he would have retired after the San Fransisco era, he would have retired a champion. Now he's playing WAY past his prime, and his skills are deteriorating. If he keeps playing then he's going to end up leaving the league as "just another WR."

Jerry Rice is a HOF reciever. He has already done his part. He should do what he feels right. If he wants to retire, fine. If he still wants to play, all the power to him. It is not my right to control what he wants to do. I sincerely doubt that Michael Jordon's return to the Wizards will overshadow what he did in Chicago. Jerry Rice will be remembered for what he did in San Francisco. He is STILL going to retire a champion.

Back
Top Bottom