Jevon Holland: The missing piece of the Miami Dolphins puzzle? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jevon Holland: The missing piece of the Miami Dolphins puzzle?

As a rule, I agree. There have been cases where outspoken (loudmouth), or locker room problem players have been held in check, but it's rare. It takes a very strong veteran team to do so. Even then, why bother? Terrell Owens destroyed the chemistry of every team he was a part of after his first two seasons in SF.

In this specific case, new, first time head coach, building a "culture", with a very young impressionable squad, Flo just could not allow it. They did the right thing. There is no doubt in my mind.
I can see keeping a loudmouth if he's a team guy in every other way. If his noise is infectious... and positive. Maybe even if he's one of those "get me the damned ball guys", but the guys who cry about the coach... they gotta go.

Basement? If 12-4 is the basement then you're correct. As for Jackson over Minkah, that's your opinion but Minkah is a 2 time probowler and a 2 time all pro, Now if Jackson becomes ''Joe Thomas'' then I might change my mind but I'm taking the all pro player every time.

Is Pittsburgh 12-4 already this season? Team is heading down, old tired QB (and O-line) and fighting for 3rd in the division with an ascending Bengals team. Ravens and Browns already clearly better.

Also easy to be deceived by the "All-Pro" designation, right place and time for a few tipped ball INT's and now he is best in the league apparently. Sorry, the left tackle much more important to our rebuilding team, our defense has only progressively gotten better since MF left and we already have his replacement. If you're still in love with Princess Fitzpatrick Pitt is not a bad town to spend some time in.

With that elite vert and catch radius he's basically never covered even with a guy in his hip pocket. And IMO, in the camp videos he looked quicker, faster and more fluid so I expect that he'll be even harder to cover and mirror than he was last year. Reality is that Gesicki has improved every year. His strength and route running is leagues ahead of where he was as a rookie and I suspect he's put even more work in this off-season.
That’s fair, he needs to improve on the those specific things that will make him a better receiver..not sure how much he can improve as I feel that those weaknesses he has our genetic.

That’s fair, he needs to improve on the those specific things that will make him a better receiver..not sure how much he can improve as I feel that those weaknesses he has our genetic.
I think he may surprise some this year. IDK how much he can improve on his stats (53/703/6TDs), but I can see teams playing a lot more "off" zone coverage, with less safety help directed his way.

This should allow him to sit down in soft spots in much the same way Kelce (not comparing players) does, resulting in some easier catches and 1st down conversations.

I’ll take the 20 year old left tackle over MF any day, especially when MF turned out to be a she not a he. Whiny runt, can still see Hollywood Brown toasting him like a high school player. Have fun in the AFC North basement.
Could be. Right now the trade favors Pittsburgh, but Jackson could sway that the Dolphins way if he reaches his ceiling.

Factor in that Minkah Fitzpatrick didn't want to play for the Dolphins and I'll take that trade.

Jevon Holland may be the missing piece in the Miami Dolphins defensive puzzle.

When the second round of the NFL draft started, this particular Miami Dolphins fan wanted two things, a running back, and a center. The cookie definitely didn’t crumble this way at all, a trade by the Broncos to leapfrog the Dolphins saw the best running back go off the board, one pick before them (deja vu from 2020 and JK Dobbins), and then later in the second round, the Dolphins traded up (using a 3rd rounder from next year) to take a tackle.

It took me a while to figure out what all draft gurus thought, the best pure safety, Trevon Moehrig was still available, the Dolphins were fast to the podium and selected Jevon Holland.

I did some preliminary research on all safeties before the draft and I knew of Jevon, I thought he would go into the 3rd or 4th round, but I didn’t see him being selected in the top 50. It was a surprise selection, considering the Dolphins had two veteran starters already locked in as a starter role. Additionally, Landon Dickerson (who went next to Philly) and Creed Humphries were still available to answer the weakest link on the Dolphins offensive line. But the saying goes – time heals all.

That time healing helped when the Dolphins cut Bobby McCain, their starting Free Safety last year, clearing up over 8MM in cap space and more importantly, a position that is now up for grabs. Then more time passed and the Dolphins signed former Patriots Jason McCourty which Coach Flores believed will help in the leadership and mentoring program he has instilled. Now with training camp just around the corner, you get a better feel on what Jevon could potentially bring to this team.

First, you can’t really assess Jevon’s skillset from last year, as he “opted out” due to Covid-19. His 2019 tape was ok and reviewing a few of his games, you can see a dynamic player that plays multiple positions for the Oregon Ducks. Looking at this even closer, I can’t help see the similarities between Jevon and Minkah Fitzpatrick, with a rather slight difference, that Minkah was a better prospect. Minkah, remember, was traded for Austin Jackson, and at this current snapshot, the Pittsburgh Steelers have won the trade outright.

One thing that is interesting to watch and something that Minkah could not handle during his tenure in Miami is that Jevon wasn’t just a Free Safety. He played outside corner, strong safety, and even nickel back. There were times the Ducks lined up in 3-5-3, and Jevon was playing weakside linebacker. Everyone knows that versatility is a key characteristic that Coach Flores loves, which is starting to make sense why the Dolphins rushed to the podium to make this selection.

Scouting Jevon is actually fun to do, based on his size, his jam at the line of scrimmage will remind Dolphins fans of Sean Smith. His fluidity is exactly what Smith uses to bring and his hip movements are reactionary which is exactly what you are looking for. On the backend, Jevon has played a mix of both Robber (Box 1 Safety) and Zebra ( Two safety High), his ball skills are close to matching what we saw with Brock Marion. If the Dolphins have found a combination player of Sean Smith at Cornerback blended in with Brock Marion as a Free Safety, then selecting Jevon is an absolute steal. Let’s not paint a perfect picture, Jevon does have some growing pains that he needs to address. He gets caught watching Wide Receivers eyes and not their hips, meaning he gets dusted once in a while. His anticipation needs work as well, as he tries to jump routes, in college no problem, he has the speed to make up for it, but in the NFL speed kills and that would be a quick 6 against him.

Taking all this into consideration, those characteristics are teachable, and when your Head Coach is a former defensive back, trust me, Jevon got drafted by the team that can best foster his ability. Jevon’s father was a former CFL champion, and his dad trained him every day to become the player he is now. Enter Coach Flores who is known as a father figure to many of the players he has brought in or selected. Jevon has the opportunity to be molded into a player that Coach Flores envisioned, which is something that Minkah never bought into, which is why he is no longer a Miami Dolphins.

I forgot McCain was cut. Wait, he was?

Could be. Right now the trade favors Pittsburgh, but Jackson could sway that the Dolphins way if he reaches his ceiling.

Factor in that Minkah Fitzpatrick didn't want to play for the Dolphins and I'll take that trade.
Yeah right now Action Jackson isn’t in the same league as MF. If he develops into a long term better than average starter I’ll be ok w it, but anything less is a loss when evaluating if this was a good move or not. I still believe that when an org has leverage, they can use it. When we started winning, I’m sure MF suddenly would have been happy here.

I like the pick. I like his versatility and to be, Safety was as bigger need as WR and C to me, so yes, I liked the pick. I actually think he will be the best rookie on the team by seasons end.

Jevon Holland may be the missing piece in the Miami Dolphins defensive puzzle.

When the second round of the NFL draft started, this particular Miami Dolphins fan wanted two things, a running back, and a center. The cookie definitely didn’t crumble this way at all, a trade by the Broncos to leapfrog the Dolphins saw the best running back go off the board, one pick before them (deja vu from 2020 and JK Dobbins), and then later in the second round, the Dolphins traded up (using a 3rd rounder from next year) to take a tackle.

It took me a while to figure out what all draft gurus thought, the best pure safety, Trevon Moehrig was still available, the Dolphins were fast to the podium and selected Jevon Holland.

I did some preliminary research on all safeties before the draft and I knew of Jevon, I thought he would go into the 3rd or 4th round, but I didn’t see him being selected in the top 50. It was a surprise selection, considering the Dolphins had two veteran starters already locked in as a starter role. Additionally, Landon Dickerson (who went next to Philly) and Creed Humphries were still available to answer the weakest link on the Dolphins offensive line. But the saying goes – time heals all.

That time healing helped when the Dolphins cut Bobby McCain, their starting Free Safety last year, clearing up over 8MM in cap space and more importantly, a position that is now up for grabs. Then more time passed and the Dolphins signed former Patriots Jason McCourty which Coach Flores believed will help in the leadership and mentoring program he has instilled. Now with training camp just around the corner, you get a better feel on what Jevon could potentially bring to this team.

First, you can’t really assess Jevon’s skillset from last year, as he “opted out” due to Covid-19. His 2019 tape was ok and reviewing a few of his games, you can see a dynamic player that plays multiple positions for the Oregon Ducks. Looking at this even closer, I can’t help see the similarities between Jevon and Minkah Fitzpatrick, with a rather slight difference, that Minkah was a better prospect. Minkah, remember, was traded for Austin Jackson, and at this current snapshot, the Pittsburgh Steelers have won the trade outright.

One thing that is interesting to watch and something that Minkah could not handle during his tenure in Miami is that Jevon wasn’t just a Free Safety. He played outside corner, strong safety, and even nickel back. There were times the Ducks lined up in 3-5-3, and Jevon was playing weakside linebacker. Everyone knows that versatility is a key characteristic that Coach Flores loves, which is starting to make sense why the Dolphins rushed to the podium to make this selection.

Scouting Jevon is actually fun to do, based on his size, his jam at the line of scrimmage will remind Dolphins fans of Sean Smith. His fluidity is exactly what Smith uses to bring and his hip movements are reactionary which is exactly what you are looking for. On the backend, Jevon has played a mix of both Robber (Box 1 Safety) and Zebra ( Two safety High), his ball skills are close to matching what we saw with Brock Marion. If the Dolphins have found a combination player of Sean Smith at Cornerback blended in with Brock Marion as a Free Safety, then selecting Jevon is an absolute steal. Let’s not paint a perfect picture, Jevon does have some growing pains that he needs to address. He gets caught watching Wide Receivers eyes and not their hips, meaning he gets dusted once in a while. His anticipation needs work as well, as he tries to jump routes, in college no problem, he has the speed to make up for it, but in the NFL speed kills and that would be a quick 6 against him.

Taking all this into consideration, those characteristics are teachable, and when your Head Coach is a former defensive back, trust me, Jevon got drafted by the team that can best foster his ability. Jevon’s father was a former CFL champion, and his dad trained him every day to become the player he is now. Enter Coach Flores who is known as a father figure to many of the players he has brought in or selected. Jevon has the opportunity to be molded into a player that Coach Flores envisioned, which is something that Minkah never bought into, which is why he is no longer a Miami Dolphins.

He is a big time playmaker and will play all over the field—exactly how we wanted to use Fitz.

I’ll clarify, besides what Mike can do with his elite height, catch radius, length, vert, and hands, it all equals to when Mike extends and or jumps and catches, he provides that unique strike zone that is the best in the game.

but if we’re talking just route running, he’s not hard to cover and mirror..
But we're not talking just mirroring. His size advantage makes it a mis-match that a DB's spped and agility can't always overcome. Comparing apples to oranges. Besides that he'll almost never get the #1 DB.

Yeah right now Action Jackson isn’t in the same league as MF. If he develops into a long term better than average starter I’ll be ok w it, but anything less is a loss when evaluating if this was a good move or not. I still believe that when an org has leverage, they can use it. When we started winning, I’m sure MF suddenly would have been happy here.
It was strange because Minkah Fitzpatrick seemed like the perfect player for a Flores defense.

Agree on your trade assessment. Jackson needs to at least be better than league average. I feel pretty confident that will happen.

Minkah may always be the better talent, but factor in the value of left tackle, work ethic and maybe Miami wins the trade.

It was strange because Minkah Fitzpatrick seemed like the perfect player for a Flores defense.

Agree on your trade assessment. Jackson needs to at least be better than league average. I feel pretty confident that will happen.

Minkah may always be the better talent, but factor in the value of left tackle, work ethic and maybe Miami wins the trade.
100%

And then add in a desire to play here and a player who believes coaches tell the players what to do instead of the other way around and you get a clear win for Miami :-)

Back
Top Bottom