Jevon Holland: The missing piece of the Miami Dolphins puzzle? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jevon Holland: The missing piece of the Miami Dolphins puzzle?

Is Pittsburgh 12-4 already this season? Team is heading down, old tired QB (and O-line) and fighting for 3rd in the division with an ascending Bengals team. Ravens and Browns already clearly better.

Also easy to be deceived by the "All-Pro" designation, right place and time for a few tipped ball INT's and now he is best in the league apparently. Sorry, the left tackle much more important to our rebuilding team, our defense has only progressively gotten better since MF left and we already have his replacement. If you're still in love with Princess Fitzpatrick Pitt is not a bad town to spend some time in.

I'm not a Minkah fan, but coaches always like players who are 'around the ball' - right place, right time. The hurdle is doing it consistently.

MF is so important we haven’t missed him and in fact got progressively better defensively, I believe #6 in points against last year. While here very reminiscent of Noah’s effort last year, frequently torched. He was supposed to be versatile but balked at versatile usage so is just a safety. Yet all this Pittsburgh is winning the trade …

Young 10+ year LT with huge ceiling or a shorter shelf life free safety? Doesn’t seem like a difficult choice. Besides, we needed a versatile instinctive athlete for our secondary not just a free safety. Have that now, and the young stud LT. Thanks FO!

I think he may surprise some this year. IDK how much he can improve on his stats (53/703/6TDs), but I can see teams playing a lot more "off" zone coverage, with less safety help directed his way.

This should allow him to sit down in soft spots in much the same way Kelce (not comparing players) does, resulting in some easier catches and 1st down conversations.
If that’s how defenses play him then it’s taking away what he does best and accentuating what he doesn’t do well, which is to turn, make moves and brake tackles in open space… is that fair?

If that’s how defenses play him then it’s taking away what he does best and accentuating what he doesn’t do well, which is to turn, make moves and brake tackles in open space… is that fair?
As a rule, when players find, and "sit" in the soft spots of zone coverage, they don't have a lot of broken tackles, or RAC yards anyway. This is because, by definition, they are slowing down or sometimes stopping, thus allowing for easier tackles.

I would suggest the opposite of what you said. His main weakness is lack of suddeness out of breaks, and slow change of direction.

That's one reason he has to make plays with defenders draped all over him.

He can still run deeper seam routes, depending on play design, but if you have two speed guys (Fuller/Waddle/Wilson?) pushing DBs deep, there's going to be a lot of traffic to navigate in the seam.

IMO in 2019 The Dolphins and the Steelers won the trade.

Minkah was going to be an issue with the culture Flores was working on. He just wasn't going to fall in line. Miami needed to get rid of him. Miami was better off without him as the players showed that if you follow Flores' system, there will be success.

Minkah fits perfectly in what the Steelers want to do. They are better off with him.

If Jackson doesn't work out for Miami it will not look good on the trade, however, I also do not know if the defense would have gelled the way it did with Minkah on the team at the end of 2019, which IMO lead to the defense's success in 2020, and hopefully will in 2021.

As a rule, when players find, and "sit" in the soft spots of zone coverage, they don't have a lot of broken tackles, or RAC yards anyway. This is because, by definition, they are slowing down or sometimes stopping, thus allowing for easier tackles.

I would suggest the opposite of what you said. His main weakness is lack of suddeness out of breaks, and slow change of direction.

That's one reason he has to make plays with defenders draped all over him.

He can still run deeper seam routes, depending on play design, but if you have two speed guys (Fuller/Waddle/Wilson?) pushing DBs deep, there's going to be a lot of traffic to navigate in the seam.
Agreed on those weaknesses, so sure if they play back he can sit and catch all day, not difficult. Then when he gets in the red zone we can try and hit his elite target zone.

My argument was when it was mentioned that he play on the perimeter.. I don’t believe he can unless it’s a specific situation and you’re willing to throw it up

Agreed on those weaknesses, so sure if they play back he can sit and catch all day, not difficult. Then when he gets in the red zone we can try and hit his elite target zone.

My argument was when it was mentioned that he play on the perimeter.. I don’t believe he can unless it’s a specific situation and you’re willing to throw it up
Yeah, I was following that conversation, but my comment was not directed toward that.

I agree, he could line up wide occasionally, but not in any high volume.

Perhaps in certain formations, such as stacking 3 WRs on the opposite side. Even then, it would likely be a motion, or shift, trying to move a defender.

I think it's best we fans, finally come to terms with the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade. I've moved past it. He just didn't want to be in Miami. Things like this happen.

I don't blame the Dolphins for taking the stance it took. They tried to make good with him and he still insisted on being traded. Sometimes, you take one on the chin.

If Austin Jackson develops into the player, we all hope he can. The trade becomes a wash. Its as simple as that. I could care less, about his success elsewhere. What matters most, is Miami seems to be moving in the right direction, without him.

While he's done well in Pittsburgh, Miami hasn't yet reaped the rewards of the trade, just yet. Time will tell. The culture won out in South Beach. That's all that should matter.

Can he play a single snap before we start wondering if he's the missing piece? Yeah? Yeah!

I am more worried about the Dolphins defense being able to stop the Bills offense. The fact the Bills won’t have film on Fuller in the Dolphins offense will be irrelevant if the Dolphins defense can’t stop Allen and the Bills offense.

Why will it be irrelevant?

In the past when MIA couldn’t stop BUF the Bills were able to slow or stop the Dolphins offense hence the problem.

However, if BUF can’t slow or stop the MIA offense — things are then equalized. It’ll come down to who has the ball last or who has the better kicker or who can force the most turnovers.

To sum up, BUF doesn’t automatically win if MIA still has trouble stopping them so long as our Dolphins create the same problem on the other side of the ball.

Back
Top Bottom