Jimmy Graham | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jimmy Graham

If he hits the open market Miami has to make him the highest paid TE in league history. 10M per year average. Saints are 13 million over the salary cap right now. [video=youtube;k2JyBOV_HDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2JyBOV_HDU[/video]

Once Will Smith is cut, which is going to happen the second the league year begins again, that frees up $11,550,000 in cap room for nola right away.
Jabari Greer could also be let go which would save 3,175,000 million if they cut him outright, or if they designate him a june 1 cut would free up almost 4,500,000 million for this year (and defer the 1,325,000 of 2014 signing bonus until next year).
Darren Sproles who carries a lot of name weight but has seen his production drop off dramatically could be approached about a pay cut or released and would save 3,500,000 in cap space....

That's already almost 20 million in cap space freed up.

And of course you could approach Brees or Jahri evans about restructuring, turning part or most of their 2014 p5 base salary into signing bonus and prorate it over the rest of their deal which would lower the saints 2014 hit substantially. Brees has a 10,750,000 2014 p5 base and Evans has 6,800,000.

Jimmy isn't going anywhere. Question is whether the Saints tag him or lock him down, if they decide to tag him... get ready for a fight about the TE/WR designation. But all that will get taken care of in the wash and Jimmy will get his money.

As one front office exec told me last week, "if i can't find a way to create 10, 12, or whatever to sign one of the best players in our league..... than I don't deserve to have my job"

Yeah, and if Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady becomes a free agent, we should sign one of them too! Or when Calvin Johnson becomes a free agent we should get him!

Any top notch receiver who is not interested in occupational suicide will steer clear of Miami. Garbage O line ....barely average QB .....dysfunctional front office. Jimmy Graham ......lol

Jimmy Graham? But we might have to cut John Jerry to make room for him.

Jimmy isn't going anywhere. Question is whether the Saints tag him or lock him down, if they decide to tag him... get ready for a fight about the TE/WR designation. But all that will get taken care of in the wash and Jimmy will get his money.

As one front office exec told me last week, "if i can't find a way to create 10, 12, or whatever to sign one of the best players in our league..... than I don't deserve to have my job"

Here's the problem for the Saints: they already let it get too far. That exec already ****ed up by letting Graham get a sniff at free agency money, it takes two to tango and if Graham feels like the Saint's did him wrong he may try to make the negotiations as difficult as possible at this point. As far as the tag goes if they have to cut players to use it and Graham flat out tells them he'll never sign with them under that scenario then the Saints are in a major pickle.

Doesnt this make it easier then to get Zach Strief?

He's an All-Pro and will be tagged if a long term deal isn't worked out. Brees said he would restructure his contract to free up the cap space to sign him anyway. Not happening

Brees is selfish I doubt he would restructure. Remember they had to do everything possible because Brees wouldn't give a discout (which I dont blame him).

Here's the problem for the Saints: they already let it get too far. That exec already ****ed up by letting Graham get a sniff at free agency money, it takes two to tango and if Graham feels like the Saint's did him wrong he may try to make the negotiations as difficult as possible at this point. As far as the tag goes if they have to cut players to use it and Graham flat out tells them he'll never sign with them under that scenario then the Saints are in a major pickle.

I don't see how Jimmy is going to feel like the Saints did him wrong though. They are going to work to make him the highest paid TE in league history. The only scenario I see where he gets offended is if they cant agree to a long term deal and he gets tagged, some players don't mind getting tagged as much as others, but the point I was making was the current "saints are 13 million over the cap" is ESPN ticker language.... they can create room incredibly quickly in order to get their all pro signed. Not all teams have contracts that allow them to do that right now. Dallas is a team like that. They could cut Demarcus Ware and save 8ish million, or designate him a june 1 cut and save almost 14 million in 2014 and defer 6 millionish of the remaining signing bonus until 2015.... but then you are releasing an icon and clear leader of your defense and team.... and its unilkely he would accept a pay cut of any kind... the saints situation isn't like that. they are going to be able to make the room to sign Jimmy to the deal they can both agree on in my opinion which avoids any feelings of being wronged.

what this does show however is that in order to get this done, they may have to part with a player like they, such as sproles.. but if you have to cut sproles in order to resign Jimmy... its a no brainer.

I love Graham but realistically we need to put money into restructuring the O Line. I would take Ebron or Amaro if they are there with our first pick. I am not a fan of using our top pick on a left tackle. Maybe in the second round but I want play makers with our first
pick hopefully the new GM will have a better eye for talent than Ireland

Brees is selfish I doubt he would restructure. Remember they had to do everything possible because Brees wouldn't give a discout (which I dont blame him).

When clubs refer to a restructure they are usually not referring to a pay cut. The common use of a restructure is to take UNGUARANTEED base salary (paragraph 5 salary) and turn it into a GUARANTEED signing bonus. It's a win-win for the players and club, I don't think any player being approached to take a restructured deal (NOT PAYCUT) would ever turn it down, there is no downside.

Pros for the player:
-Takes money that was originally unguaranteed and now becomes guaranteed
-Adds additional money to later years, because signing bonus is prorated through the life of the contract up to 5 years, which makes it harder for the club to cut you because now the dead money accelerations are higher

Pros for the club:
-Lowers the cap hit in the current year which enables them to make roster moves now that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to
-Signing bonus money is almost always recoverable in situations where the player gets in trouble or quits and prevents him from honoring his contract

A restructure that involves a pay cut, which is usually just called a pay cut and not a restructure even though to avoid confusion is obviously only beneficial to one side.

they will cut a whole lot of people before they let graham hit free agency...and yes if need be brees would restructure to keep him

so 0.0 chance

Drew Brees restructure, :lol:

Didn't that guy hold the Saints over a ****ing barrel so that he could be the highest paid QB in the NFL for a brief time, before Joe Flacco went and did the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom