JJ's Mock version 1.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JJ's Mock version 1.0

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Reaction score
This is my first mock attempt in ages. I hope to do a second version this weekend or next. Feedback is welcome and will be considered.

JJ’s Mock Draft 1.0
Round 1
1. Houston Texans – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, UVA
I think the Texans are going to try hard to trade down here, but nobody is in a position to trade up with them for much value. The Jets are probably their most likely taker, but that seems unlikely because they couldn't close a deal for the #15 when they traded away Abraham. They'll set a trade deadline before negotiating on a contract with their selection, and that deadline will pass. Once it does, they'll be making a deal with Ferguson, not Bush.

2. New Orleans Saints – Reggie Bush, RB, USC
The Saints don't really need a RB, either. They're in a better position to make this move than the Texans are, though. I think they'll make this pick thinking that they can make a deal a la Eli Manning, and they might just do it. The difference between them and the Texans is that the Texans have a glaring need and no need for the position while the Saints don't have a need as vast and probably could use Bush because McAllister hasn't finished a season in two years and will be 28 this year.

3. Tennessee Titans – Matt Leinart, QB, USC
The Titans are beside themselves when they find Leinart on the board here.

4. Green Bay Packers (from New York Jets) – A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
The Jets love this position. They get their pick of defenders. They just wish they could take Williams, Hawk, and Huff. Just when they are about to choose, the Packers offer them pick #67 to swap.

5. New York Jets (from Green Bay Packers) – Michael Huff, CB, Texas
The Jets are very pleased they got that call from the Packers. They were going to take Hawk, but it was practically a coin flip situation for them. Huff gives the team a presence in the secondary that they have not had in a long time. Finding somebody to at least play part time at DE will be a priority, but New York doesn't think another prima donna DE is the best way to handle doing that.

6. San Francisco 49er’s – Mario Williams, DE, NC State
This works out very nicely because Williams is more devastating as a full time defender who can line up as a 3-4 DE or OLB depending on the situation. The Niners need help on offense, but they hope they can find it later in the draft.

7. Oakland Raiders – Vince Young, QB, Texas
There are really only three viable tutors for Vince -- McNair, Brooks, and Jay Fiedler. All of them are aging QBs who could potentially start for at least the early part of a season running an offense that would maximize Vince's mobility once he takes over. Oakland has Brooks and really needs a QB in order to realize the investment they have made on players like Jordan, Porter, and Moss. Most teams would take Cutler here instead, but Al has always been a maverick.

8. Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Many think Bunkley has overtaken Ngata. The clue phone on that one won't ring in Buffalo until probably three months after the draft. That's just how the Bills draft. There is no other way to explain picks like McGahee and Losman. Honestly, I think this might serve them well in this instance. I think Ngata is getting a bum rap and don't really buy the Bunkley hype.

9. Detroit Lions – Winston Justice, OT, USC
The Lions would rather have fixed their issues on defense with LB or S in this slot, but that just isn't how the draft falls for them. They'd love to trade down, but they'll settle for bolstering their OL.

10. St. Louis Rams (from Arizona Cardinals) – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
Denny Green does not use a TE in his offense and would simply waste Davis. At the same time, he is not going to let this guy slide past him because he's just that good. He works the phones and takes St. Louis for a 4th rounder to swap picks. Davis will be a real force in the Ram offense.

11. Arizona Cardinals (from St. Louis Rams) – Ernie Sims, OLB, FSU
The Cardinals are tempted to take Cutler here, but Green goes defense in the end. The other LBs in the Cardinal defense have good size, so a slightly undersized guy like Sims will be okay for them. The best way for the Cards to win games doesn't come from scoring more points with that offense of theirs -- it comes from fixing the defense.

12. Cleveland Browns – Brodrick Bunkley, DT, FSU
Romeo would probably prefer a linebacker, but there isn't value at this point in the draft right there. He isn't looking for somebody the likes of Greenway. He'll settle for Bunkley, who may end up being more of a DE for the Browns D than a DT.

13. Baltimore Ravens – Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
The Ravens aren't quite done with the Boller experiment. They'll give him one more year behind an upgraded OL thanks to McNeill the road grader.

14. Philadelphia Eagles – Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
Greenway sounds exactly like an Andy Reid guy. They'd prefer a good #1 WR here, but I don't buy that there is one in this draft.

15. Denver Broncos (From Atlanta) – Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
He's the guy they traded here for.

16. Minnesota Vikings (from Miami Dolphins) – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
Miami holds Cutler hostage to the Vikings, and the Vikings pay pick #83 as ransom. They'll get that much because they will tell the Vikings that the Cowboys are also interested in trading up for Cutler. (editor note: I did not set this up -- I have gone pick by pick, and I'm surprised at the 3 swaps I have concluded are likely as much as anybody should be)

17. Miami Dolphins (from Minnesota Vikings) – Jimmy Williams, CB, VPI
Don't count on Williams playing CB for Miami. Saban likes guys who can play both CB and S, and it is true that Miami has a bigger need at S, particularly if Will Poole comes back strong from a knee injury. Williams could move or second year CB Travis Daniels could make the swap.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
As scary a thought it is to pair Owens with any rookie WR, that position is still a problem for the Cowboys because they cannot rely on Owens.

19. San Diego Chargers – Eric Winston, OT, Miami
The Chargers have pieced together an OL for far too long with late round picks, and they no longer have Houck around to coach that unit. It's time for them to invest in players to make sure Tomlinson's way is clear, Rivers doesn't get killed, and Gates can get the ball.

20. Kansas City – Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
He'd be a good compliment to Surtain, though KC would probably prefer defensive line help.

21. New England Patriots – Antonio Cromartie, CB, FSU
New England clearly needs secondary help to get back where they were. If not for the knee concern, this guy may have been a top 10 pick.

22. Denver Broncos (From Wash) – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
The DL will just have to wait with this sort of value on the board at RB. For all of the short term success at RB the team has had the past several years, they miss having consistency there. Williams will be a rock for the Broncos.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
Don't expect Whitner to play S -- he could very well be a CB for this team. They'd love an offensive lineman, but it's too early for the likes of Scott or Colledge.

24. Cincinnati Bengals – Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
Sam Adams is a short term solution. Watson is a long term solution.

25. New York Giants – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
They're a lock to pick a LB here.

26. Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
This isn't the way they imagined supplementing Muhammad, but it should be effective for them.

27. Carolina Panthers – Lendale White, RB, USC
RB isn't as pressing a need for them as it is for say the Colts, but they are awfully thin at the position and could use a bruiser like White to take the burden off of Foster.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
This could change if they get Arrington, but the only other really obvious direction to go in would be OG. It's possible they could go with Howard and Arrington in one offseason.

29. New York Jets (from Denver) – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
Maroney isn't the ideal RB for them, but they feel the need to do something about the position and know he won't last past the Colts for them to pick up in the second if they pass on him.

30. Indianapolis Colts – DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
This turn of events likely had the Colts burning up the phones of every team from 23 to 26. I don't see a fit for them to trade with. It's too bad it works out this way for Ryans, but he is pretty much a booby prize for them. This could pave the way for a Ricky Williams trade if Ricky wins his appeal and Miami will part with him cheaply enough.

31. Seattle Seahawks – Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
He is just what the doctor ordered for this Seahawks team. If he weren't here, I'd project them to go after a guard to replace Hutchinson with. They might be able to handle that in the 2nd round, though.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Jason Allen, S, Tennessee
He fills in very nicely for Hope.

Round 2:

33. Houston Texans - Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
I really like complimenting Andre Johnson with Moss. It makes a lot of sense in my mind given the tools each player has. Houston hopes they can grab a safety more easily later in the draft or possibly use their two third round picks in a row to trade up for one.

34. New Orleans Saints - Spencer Havner, OLB, UCLA
The Saints really need a LB here, and they go with Havner over McIntosh because they have been bitten by too many McIntosh types over the past several years.

35. New York Jets - Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas
Picking a RB up in the first doesn't really do much if he has nobody to run behind. This is a big part of why the Jets can't trade up for Bush -- they could probably use another pick on the first day, so they can't really afford to give them up to move up for talent.

36. Green Bay Packers - Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
The Packers need help in the secondary if they are to stop the likes of Steve Smith and the Williamses in Detroit. Joseph is a bit of a project, but it's not like this team is going to need him to be great right from the start -- the Packers are going to be hurting for a year or two.

37. San Francisco 49ers - Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
They were hoping Moss would make it to them. He didn't, so they go defense again. This along with their first rounder should make the defense closer to respectable than it was last year.

38. Oakland Raiders - Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
This has to be a pick spent on defense. Defense starts up front, particularly when a geriatric Warren Sapp is the basis of your run stuffing capability.

39. Tennessee Titans - Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State
Marshall gives Pac Man a buddy. Between the two of them, the Titans secondary will hopefully be much improved this season.

40. Detroit Lions - D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Maryland
Jackson is a smart player who will probably play inside with Lehman bouncing to weakside. The Lions defense played dumb last year, so it would be great for them to have a smart defender out there as the keystone of the defense.

41. Arizona Cardinals - Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
He will be pressed into play as a FS here, which may be a bit of a challenge for him. He's the better choice than Simpson, though.

42. Buffalo Bills - Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
The Bills are in a tight spot here. Joseph isn't worth this pick, but he's the best they're going to do on the OL here. There is some chance he could be asked to move to the outside, though that may really hurt this effectiveness.

43. Cleveland Browns - Manny Lawson, DE, NC State
He'll be more of a LB in this defense.

44. Baltimore Ravens - Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
Save for Reed, the rest of this secondary needs some help.

45. Philadelphia Eagles - Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
He is going to need to buckle down to become a disruptive force on the DL, but all the Eagles need him for first is to clog up the lanes. He can help with that immediately.

46. St. Louis Rams - Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami
Jennings will be a nickel guy at least for a while, but that's all the Rams need out of him.

47. Atlanta Falcons - Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise State
This is as good as the Falcons are going to do with their most pressing need.

48. Minnesota Vikings - Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
This pick completes their OL for next year.

49. Dallas Cowboys - Kamerion Whimbley, DE, FSU
He'll play OLB in the Cowboy 3-4.

50. San Diego Chargers - Derek Hagan, WR, ASU
The Chargers have one of the worst WR corps in the league, so they have to look to that position in the draft this year.

51. Minnesota Vikings (from Miami Dolphins) - Cedric Griffin, CB, Texas
This is another depth pick at the CB position for the 2006 season at least.

52. New England Patriots - Martin Nance, WR, Miami Ohio
The Patriots lost a couple of bodies at this position and need the type of player who really knows how to use his body. That's exactly what Nance does well.

53. Washington Redskins - Charles Spencer, OG, Pitt
Spencer needs coaching, and he'll get that in Washington because they don't really need him for more than depth initially. He is quite versatile, so that really helps them with the depth question.

54. Kansas City Chiefs - Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
The Chiefs are in only a slightly better position at WR than the Chargers are. This pick shores up their offense.

55. Cincinnati Bengals - Roman Harper, S, Alabama
This guy can be the unsung hero of a defense if he finds the right situation with the right players around him.

56. New York Giants - Jonathan Lewis, DT, VPI
He'll be a part time player at first. His upside is what they're really after here. With work and bulking up, he could be a full time playmaker.

57. Chicago Bears - Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian
CB is a real weakness for this team that Manning may not solve, but he can help with it right from the start.

58. Carolina Panthers - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
This gives the Panthers another option in the passing game to compliment Smith.

59. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ryan O'Callaghan, OT, California
The Bucs help themselves out on the right side of the line with this pick.

60. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dominique Byrd, TE, USC
He's a nice compliment to Kyle Brady with Brady handling blocking assignments and Byrd handling the receiving chores.

61. Denver Broncos - Pat Watkins, S, FSU
With Lynch getting older, they are going to need a playmaker safety. Watkins needs to be worked with, but there will be time to do that. Having Lynch there may even be a positive influence on him.

62. Indianapolis Colts - Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
He isn't different enough from Rhodes to be ideal, but the Colts don't have any real options here. There aren't many big backs after White goes off the board.

63. Seattle Seahawks - Taitusi Lutui, OG, USC
He won't be a Hutchinson, but this has to be the best possible situation for a young OG to learn in. Jones will be at his side and Seahawk RBs Strong and Aexander will be behind him pushing through.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers - Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
The key here will be keeping the guy on a diet. The Steelers need him as a WR, not an H-back.

Good job overall. The trades are so hard to predict.

However, Jimmy Williams stock seems to be dropping like a rock, and with guys like Whitner and/or Jason Allen stock rising, one of them may actually be more likely than Williams...

I trust Saban, and if he likes Williams, so be it.

Mile High Fin said:
Good job overall. The trades are so hard to predict.

However, Jimmy Williams stock seems to be dropping like a rock, and with guys like Whitner and/or Jason Allen stock rising, one of them may actually be more likely than Williams...

I trust Saban, and if he likes Williams, so be it.

I actually completed this a few days ago for www.cincybengals.com and finally decided to post it here today. You're right that Williams does seem to be falling. I too have a hunch Saban really likes Allen. In fact, depending on what happens between now and version 2, I could see Williams and Allen swapping with Williams being the Steeler pick and Allen being the Dolphins pick.

As to the trades, my rule there involved finding teams with more than one good pick or a value that couldn't be overlooked that they couldn't really take adantage of, looking at the teams that drafted after them, and putting the two together. Of the three, I think the Jets/Packers trade is the most questionable and the Cards/Rams trade the most legit.

The only thing I don't see is the repeat of what happened to Manning happening with Bush. Like the other poster said, trades are extremely hard to predict. IF a trade happened involving Bush, it could mess up the rest of the draft depending on the Saints compensation.

gator_sensation said:
The only thing I don't see is the repeat of what happened to Manning happening with Bush. Like the other poster said, trades are extremely hard to predict. IF a trade happened involving Bush, it could mess up the rest of the draft depending on the Saints compensation.

I don't know that the Saints can find a trading partner, either. I think that if it works out this way with the Texans accepting reality that drafting Bush would be suicide, the Saints are in a position where they can speculate. They could easily work a trade with the Colts for McAllister if things fell exactly how I had plotted if they couldn't move Bush. After all, they supposedly have tons of cap space this season, right?

i personally dont like it.

but i do applaud you for going outside the box and not going and copyin most of other sites mocks like alot of people seem to do.

Nappy Roots said:
i personally dont like it.

Is there anything in particular you don't like? I will be the first to admit that there are faults. That's why it's just version 1.0.

Jimmy James said:
I think the Texans are going to try hard to trade down here, but nobody is in a position to trade up with them for much value. The Jets are probably their most likely taker, but that seems unlikely because they couldn't close a deal for the #15 when they traded away Abraham. They'll set a trade deadline before negotiating on a contract with their selection, and that deadline will pass. Once it does, they'll be making a deal with Ferguson, not Bush.

2. New Orleans Saints – Reggie Bush, RB, USC
The Saints don't really need a RB, either. They're in a better position to make this move than the Texans are, though. I think they'll make this pick thinking that they can make a deal a la Eli Manning, and they might just do it. The difference between them and the Texans is that the Texans have a glaring need and no need for the position while the Saints don't have a need as vast and probably could use Bush because McAllister hasn't finished a season in two years and will be 28 this year.

6. San Francisco 49er’s – Mario Williams, DE, NC State
This works out very nicely because Williams is more devastating as a full time defender who can line up as a 3-4 DE or OLB depending on the situation. The Niners need help on offense, but they hope they can find it later in the draft.

13. Baltimore Ravens – Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
The Ravens aren't quite done with the Boller experiment. They'll give him one more year behind an upgraded OL thanks to McNeill the road grader.

The Chargers have pieced together an OL for far too long with late round picks, and they no longer have Houck around to coach that unit. It's time for them to invest in players to make sure Tomlinson's way is clear, Rivers doesn't get killed, and Gates can get the ball.

well after going about it, i guess i like more than i thought. but the first 2 picks is what i dont like, so that kinda threw a cloud over it after those 2.

IMHO, Texans arent going to pick bush at 1, someone will trade up for him. Hes not a #2 type player, hes a clear #1. even that, i think Texans will pick him, and are a much better fit for Bush than the Saints. see how Saints McAllister is a much better overall back than Davis when healthy. They have alot of other wholes they could fill there that would respresent value there, being on the OLine with D'Brickashaw, or LB corps with Hawk.

beyond those 2 picks, i dont think williams fits in well with the 3-4 to much, and i dont think he can stand up as a LB in any situation. i also dont think mcneil or winston should be first rounders.

but other than that, definitly good job by you.
clear.gif

Thanks for the constructive criticism, man.

Do you see any particular contenders for a trade up to get Bush?

Jimmy James said:
Thanks for the constructive criticism, man.

Do you see any particular contenders for a trade up to get Bush?

jets and packers would be the first 2 that would come to mind. but someone later in the draft could give up their future for him, and would probably be worth it.

Finally! Someone else has the Texans taking D'Brick first!

I don't think D'Brick will be first selection, if Houston wants to get him they trade down with NY Jets, for example. Besides, in my opinion, Houston won't lose the opportunity to draft Reggie Bush after his amazing USC Pro Day (He has been revalued much more). And if they wants to trade down, NY Jets, surely, interests draft Reggie Bush...
Besides, Houston can trade down with other franchise at Top 10 and get Winston Justice. There are many people that think Winston Justice is over D'Brick, it's other real possibility.
On the other hand, San Francisco, in my opinion, must trade down to restructure his roster, and New Orleans too.
Minnesota can trade up to draft Vince Young. They have 2 seconds and 2 third rounds (i think).
Indinapolis Colts, after lost Edge, will trade up in Draft if they think that they can lose the opportunity to draft Laurence Maroney...

Jimmy James said:

here is what I personally don't like. I know Houston wants some O-line help, but no way does Reggie not go #1 over all. Even if the texans can't get full value for that #1 pick, I'm sure they can find a suitor in the top 8 to trade with, and still get a franchis type LT in Winston Justice.

I like Eric Winston but, I don't think he goes this high.

Jimmy James said:
Round 2:
43. Cleveland Browns - Manny Lawson, DE, NC State
49. Dallas Cowboys - Kamerion Whimbley, DE, FSU
58. Carolina Panthers - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA

and here are my problems with round 2... I don't think any of these guys slip this low.

and where is Nick Mangold and Darnell Bing?

there are a few others that made me scratch my head a little but, I could see some reasoning in your choices.

all in all good work. Thanx for taking the time to do a mock and thanx for sharing with us. :D

firestorm said:
I don't think D'Brick will be first selection, if Houston wants to get him they trade down with NY Jets, for example. Besides, in my opinion, Houston won't lose the opportunity to draft Reggie Bush after his amazing USC Pro Day (He has been revalued much more). And if they wants to trade down, NY Jets, surely, interests draft Reggie Bush...
Besides, Houston can trade down with other franchise at Top 10 and get Winston Justice.

you posted this after I started my post. but my thoughts exactly. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom