Joe Philbin's Power Play | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's Power Play

Mnphinfan - I don't know what happened but your logic is good. When Ross saw that Joe and Dawn found a candidate that was experienced, low key and most important one that they could work with, he's now got something that he hasn't had before, where everyone seems to get on. When it was announced that Hickey would also be interviewed, it drew very little attention, but it was probable that Joe behind the scenes asked if he could be interest because there was mutual respect.
What I still don't understand is why job offers were made to both Caserio and Dawson, and both rejected very quickly. Is this just a matter of perception and the org structure and responsibilities differed between what they received and what Hickey ended up getting. Maybe we will never know what really happened. Ross, Philbin and Aponte may have created a ruse in what was communicated. Some of our Dolphin fans really believe that our owner is a befuddled, bumbling idiot, but you don't become the biggest real estate developer in New York City without having an aptitude for negotiating.
I am increasingly of the belief that Hickey is the guy that Philbin wanted from the getgo.

I don't necessarily believe he was the exact guy that Philbin wanted, but that he had the exact qualities/temperament he was looking for in the GM candidates to implement his vision on where the Fins should be headed and how they were going to get there. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that when Joe met the candidates after their initial interview with Ross and the other brass that this is when the most important part of the interview occurred.

Revisionist history is always the most believable.

And there is definitely something to be said for how the passion of the storyteller enriches the story. :)

No offense OP, but I think your thread title should have been: "Philbin, Like a Boss!".

j/k I'm just injecting a little humor into my day. But I do applaud your effort.

I called it a genius plan. Which Philbin would have been the main architect in formulating. Try to keep up. A football genius would be Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Bill Belicheck or Tom Laundry.

Well, at least we can agree that we have no geniuses in our front office.

Can someone answer this question:

Has it been confirmed that Dawson was offered the job before Hickey? One would think so since Dawson turned down the job. So if this were all about Philbin's prior connections to Hickey, why would Dawson be deemed a better fit than Hickey? The only thing that makes sense is if Dawson withdrew himself from consideration prior to receiving an offer. Not sure if that's what was reported.

I think this is more Ross's pick than Philbin's. I said this in another thread, but I think Ross has wanted a GM that's a team player from the get-go (he said it himself in his public statement). Somebody that will give Philbin a solid chance in the upcoming off-season, and not just only work towards their own game and their own regime (like Ireland).

Although I hate the way the media attacks us, I think they have a right to on this situation. We swung and missed on every single qualified candidate that was out there. Some didn't even want to interview. That to me tells me that this structure is a complete joke. What new GM would want to be stuck with a losing coach and not have final say on the roster??? 3 people reporting to the same boss has disaster written all over it. You guys can try to spin it in any way you choose. I don't feel good at all about the whole thing. We're really going to have a hard time convincing free agents to come here and I'm not confident we will ever draft well. All I can do is hope and pray that somehow this will work out, but I've been doing this for 30+ years and I'm not confident we'll ever get it right. I guess the first person that gets in the principals office wins!!!

Good theory by the OP and something along the lines of what I have going on in my head. The way I would see it is Ross believes in Philbin and did what it took to be 'all in' with him, which I support. I might or might not work out, but I like the idea of supporting the coach fully and seeing how it plays out.

But you didn't wait. You fabricated this tale you posted without knowing if any of your assumptions are actually true. I understand being hopeful. I'm hopeful. I wan this team to win as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean I have to invent fairy tales. The part you left out was how Joe, Ross and Aponte managed to get all those other guys to turn us down. Because if you're calling this a "power play that fooled the masses," they must have played a role in that, or else your attributing genius to what was only luck or coincidence.

Not for nuthin' but if memory serves me you were doing the same thing from the get-go in blind defense of Joni Martin, condemnation of Incog and gleefully anticipating that the franchise will suffer/get what they deserved. When talking about immediately jumping to conclusions - that there visceral reaction was more of a leap of faith than found under a traveling revivalist's tent sermon. Whether the OP is right or wrong, he's actually making a stronger assumptive case than the "evidence" prompting all those who rushed to judgment based on Martin's claims and theatrics.

Not for nuthin' but if memory serves me you were doing the same thing from the get-go in blind defense of Joni Martin, condemnation of Incog and gleefully anticipating that the franchise will suffer/get what they deserved.

Not quite. Yes, I discussed the legal aspects of the situation and sought to clear up misinformation regarding the law and the behavior of bullying victims, but I never presented anything close to a "blind defense" of Martin. As a matter of fact, I stated many times that I thought neither guy should be on the team. What I think has you confused is that I've never been in support of the team signing Incognito for reasons that existed long before the thing with Martin came to a head.

1. We won 3 more in a row and in drivers seat for playoffs

2. Jeff was told his job was safe.

3. Joe and co. lost last two games.

4. The blame game started. Joe off hook. ireland bad guy time to go.

Thats how I see it.

Nitpick: Lazor has never been a head coach.

Nitpick #2: The only real 'new regime' in Tampa during Hickey's time there was Bruce Allen. Allen did not blow out the entire staff when he was hired. Much like Hickey is not likely to do here. When Dominik got promoted, he and Hickey had already worked together for years.

I think Hickey is being oversold by some here, just as I think he is being undersold by some Bucs fans who want to believe they have just jettisoned the worst personnel man in the universe.

He was the head coach of Cornell's JV team.

thidH4738406747081686pid15-1.1

What Joe then had to do was convince Ross that the problem wasn't with the coaching staff but with the players Ireland provided.

It was easy, just don't use any of his draft picks. Must have burned Ireland to no end.

In the end Joe won the argument. We know this because Ireland chose to resign after some of his power on deciding the final roster was going to be stripped away and given to Philbin.

We should have realized there were no big changes coming when Ireland was in fact offered to stay. Why Ross went through this big GM search is beyond me, but the "real" GM's correctly interpreted the situation and didn't interview. It had nothing to do with Miami being a bad place, it just wasn't a particular job description they were interested in.

Somewhere during that argument I believe that Ireland was also able to convince Ross that Sherman was a huge part of the problem.

This is the baffling part, how he managed to separate himself from Sherman. But when you started to hear noise from Sherman, about how Phiblin didn't want to run the ball, not him, that was an indication the bus was coming.

When you look at what Hickey has done in Tampa it is pretty easy to see that he is probably pretty good as what he does but also a conformist as well. You don't spend 18 years in one organization, with multiple FO and head coaching changes without being able to do that. The GM in this situation will be implementing Philbin's plan, not the other way around.

Bingo.

What a waste of time all that "reporting" was about Aponte. I mean, yes, we'll discuss rumors, and will continue to get every tweet, every piece of info we can in the future, but it's just amazing that our beat writers are always so out of the loop when it comes to the Dolphins. I don't doubt that Aponte is part of this, but they made it sound as if she was the main reason candidates were declining.

What happened in our GM search was not part of a grand plan. Don't buy it - never will. Philbin perhaps seized more power because all that was left were table scraps for GM candidates and he presented the best remaining option on the table (and also an easily reversible option - they all could be out of jobs in a year).

The Dolphin's aren't some grand manipulator of the media - social and otherwise. What "fooled" everyone is the vast amount of information and bad information in our social media age ... and of course our willingness to suck it all up as gospel.

Back
Top Bottom