Joe Theismann was a Dolphin? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Theismann was a Dolphin?

Theismann actually spurned us twice. When he wanted to come back to the NFL after he was done with Canada, the Dolphins, having drafted him, held first crack at him. He basically said "I will sign with anyone but Miami" and forced us to pass on signing him as a FA. He was quite vocal in dissing us IIRC.

He hates the Dolphins, Shula, and Joe Robbie. Who knows why?

This is why I absolutely HATED SB XVII. Made me SICK.

Roman529 said:
Joe Theismann also changed the pronounciation of his last name so that it would rhyme with Heisman....it is correctly pronounced like Theese-man.

Talk about a BIG ego.

i heard someone(cant remember who) used to pronounce like heisman, told him it sounded better so Joe eventually changed it.

enigmatics said:
Huh........I learned somethin' new today. Joe Theismann was originally drafted by the Fins in the 4th round of the '71 draft. However, he bolted to Canada to play there instead of for us. What a moron huh?

He didnt want to be a backup and things worked out for him in Washington. It said he threatened to play in Canada, I think he was traded and never actually went. That is how it sounded to me anyway

Roman529 said:
Joe Theismann also changed the pronounciation of his last name so that it would rhyme with Heisman....it is correctly pronounced like Theese-man.

Talk about a BIG ego.

It wasnt his idea, it was the idea of the athletic director at Notre Dame. They thought it might give him a little edge in the Heisman hype, cant blame him for it.

Sgt.FinFan said:
He should've changed it to wishbone. The way his leg looked bent that time.
:shakeno:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Roman529 said:

Talk about a BIG ego.
The only thing with that is the German way of pronouncing (the origination of his name is German) is pronounced the way he pronounces it, the second vowel is pronounced in deutsch.

DonShula84 said:
It wasnt his idea, it was the idea of the athletic director at Notre Dame. They thought it might give him a little edge in the Heisman hype, cant blame him for it.

yep !

Theisman had a good run with the Skins. He crapped out in the Superbowl versus the Raiders but other than that he played really well. He was short and wore that one bar face mask, must have had his nose broken a dozen times in his career. People talk about Flutie as a great short Qb, Theisman's career in the NFL was lightyears better. Flutie was a dud in the NFL. Now Theisman as a broadcaster....

clear.gif

You know that doesn't really bother me for a few reasons. One, he would have never been able to dethrone Bob Griese (one of the NFL's best quarterbacks of the 1970s), who had a career that dwarfed Theismann's by ten times. Secondly, his stupidity had him join the Redskins of the 70s, if you look back those were some pretty crappy teams (much like the late 90s Dolphins; late season collapses) instead of Miami who was going through their best years.

Maybe he was just scared of Don Shula embarresing him in front of the whole team?

Worked out good for all involved. We were great in the 70's and Theisman won a Superbowl in the 80's, not a bad deal.

I remember the Theisman story well. He was not drafted to play QB. That is why he went to Canada. The team did not feel he had the size to play QB.

enigmatics said:
Huh........I learned somethin' new today. Joe Theismann was originally drafted by the Fins in the 4th round of the '71 draft. However, he bolted to Canada to play there instead of for us. What a moron huh?

Yeah, but see, we had this guy named Griese who was pretty good. And at the time, the CFL wasn't light years behind the NFL like it is now, so it was a more viable option then.

Plus, if Theismann had stuck around, we probably wouldn't have drafted Dan Marino. We would have missed the Woodstrock Era (not a bad thing), but Theismann was still going pretty good in 1983. Plus, he wouldn't have had LT snapping his leg like a twig and ending his career. So, he got his karmic payback, and we made out in the end.

Still, a cool factoid. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom