Joel Collier | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joel Collier

Originally posted by ckparrothead
And btw I didn't say Collier will LIKELY turn out like Kippy. I'm pointing out parallels between this move and what happened with Kippy Brown because the parallels are abundant.

Both running a version of Norv's offense, both jumped from RB coach to OC. My main point is that to my knowledge RBs coach was pretty low on the importance hierarchy so why wasn't Collier say, promoted to QB coach when Mike Shula left? I could be wrong about the importance hierarchy though thats why I asked if Weis jumped from RB coach to OC.

You're right...apologies on the misquote.

This is why I don't think he'll end up another KB...don't know anything about Weis...sorry:

"As a defensive assistant with the Dolphins from 1994-97, Collier assisted in coaching the team’s linebackers and in the overall football operation. In 1997, Collier worked extensively with rookie linebacker Derrick Rodgers, a third-round draft choice who garnered several all-rookie accolades, including Sports Illustrated’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Collier joined the Dolphins after having worked three seasons (1991-93) in various capacities with the New England Patriots. He served in the pro scouting department in 1993 and worked as assistant running backs and wide receivers coach from 1991-92.

Collier joined the Patriots after serving as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1990. Prior to his experience with the Bucs, Collier worked two years with the quarterbacks and running backs as a graduate assistant at Syracuse University."

That's a clip of his bio from http://www.miamidolphins.com

He has overall experience...not just at RB coaching.

While I'm not thrilled that Norv left, the offense will be getting some "new blood" next year and different perspectives than in the past. With Collier as OC, Trestman has QB coach and the guy from Arizona as the new WR coach, that leaves only the TE coach and Tony Wise as holdovers on the offense. Both Trestman and the coach from Arizona are former OC's as well as highly regarded. Must hold Collier in high regard to name him OC with two former OC's on staff.

May make it easier to make some personnel/philosophy changes with the significant coaching changes that have taken place.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
How bout you just post Charlie Weis's career. Did he jump from RBs coach to offensive coordinator?

NFL Pro career comparison

CHARLIE WEIS

89 Giants .... Pro personnel Dept (scout)
90 Defensive assistant/ Special teams
91-92 RB Coach
93-96 Patriots... RB/TE/WR coach
97 Jets...Offensive Coordinator

JOEL COLLIER

90 Bucs...Offensive Assistant
91-92 Patriots....RB/WR Coach
93 Pro Personnel (scout) Parcells
94-97 Dolphins... LB coach
98-2003 RB coach
2004 Offensive Coordinator

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by PhinstiGator

NFL Pro career comparison

CHARLIE WEIS

89 Giants .... Pro personnel Dept (scout)
90 Defensive assistant/ Special teams
91-92 RB Coach
93-96 Jets RB/TE/WR coach
97 Patriots...Offensive Coordinator

JOEL COLLIER

90 Bucs...Offensive Assistant
91-92 Patriots....RB/WR Coach
93 Pro Personnel (scout) Parcells
94-97 Dolphins... LB coach
98-2003 RB coach
2004 Offensive Coordinator

Looks pretty close, edge to Weis of course.....barely.

I have to believe he won't be running "Norv's Offense" but he'll be running "Joel's Offense."

The basics may stay the same, as that would allow the easiest transition for the current players, but you HAVE to expect him to mix it up. Did everybody hear/read his comments from the press conf.?

He hasn't been blind to what has made NE and CAR successful.

Someone explain to me when Charlie Weis became a good OC? Was I asleep when that memo was circulated??

Atleast we know we will make a commitment to the OL and get a QB that can actually throw deep.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
Someone explain to me when Charlie Weis became a good OC? Was I asleep when that memo was circulated??

Started the day he figured out he could mold an offensive scheme and gameplan around a solid QB in Brady. Not hyping Brady up, but they work very well together within their scheme. Simple as that.

All I can say on this matter is that a lot of Dolphin fans wanted Turner gone because like Wannstedt, he was brought here by Jimmy Johnson.
Well, now Turner is gone and Collier is now the OC. He may or may not have wanted it, but he has got it.
He is a change and we wanted change, so now we have it.
IMO, no matter how much we question it, dislike it or wanted it, lets give him a chance and then if he falls on his face it's another nail in Wannstedt's coffin.

Back
Top Bottom