Joel Collier | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joel Collier

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Wanny won't be making the same calls, or level of calls, he made last year. I think that's what they said in the press conf. If that's the case and that's true, do you think Wanny just smartened up and realized he couldn't call an offense, or do you think somebody said something to him that he had to listen to?

I don't know, don't care...I'm just glad somebody that has a clue on offense will be calling the plays.

GO FINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO I think WH had to tell DW to pick a side, either be part of the solution or part of the problem....

Originally posted by Disnardo
I don't believe that I am the first, but I like to welcome our new OC Joel Collier to what will be a successful 04' season...

:welcome:

here, here! :eat:

Wow. I am sorry but I don't undertsand this move. In the last ten years we have barely had a rushing game. We promote the RB Coach to OC. If we are trying to win now, why woulld we experiment with it? This is really critical when you consider how urgent our situation on that side of the ball is. I don't get it. Especially with Trestman on board who has experience. Maybe they just felt like Collier was due.

I am not freaking out about it, I just don't get it.

I'm with you on this one fin-atic.

Kippy Brown was promoted from RBs coach to offensive coordinator of the Dolphins. We know how that turned out. Maybe Collier won't be the next Kippy Brown but either way when you commit to a Joel Collier you're committing to a guy who will probably be doing the job one year until the field of candidates for OC broadens to include some talented guys (right now its bone dry hence the Collier hiring). Does that make sense when you're drafting a rookie first round QB? I don't think it does. At least if we were having a Marc Trestman install the WCO here, we could easily just find another WCO coordinator next season if we think Trestman shouldn't be our coordinator anymore.

And I'm not quite sure about this division of responsibilities. I've heard of runningback by committee but coordinator by committee?

I can't say I know much about Collier's background, but I know he has worked under various OCs. KB probably knows. He seems to follow that stuff. Also Trestman seems like he will be involved in the offensive gameplans. Nobody here knows what kind of OC Collier will be. It seems unfair to expect him to do the same things as Kippy Brown.

I'll just say that I'm VERY curious to see what comes of this year's camp. From what I've seen/heard, several members of this board attend the camps to watch workouts and such, some even tape it and post some stuff here. That's AWESOME!

Looking forward to it.

I'm not willing to hang this guy ... yet.

Re: Re: Joel Collier

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Read up some more on it bro. At the press conference Wanny admitted he made most of the "tough" offense calls...not Norv. Wanny held Norv down. Plain and simple. That's probably the primary reason Norv left. Wouldn't have an offensive-clueless HC calling his plays for him.

And now Norv is gone and we still have Wanny...wonderful. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Joel Collier

Originally posted by Rick 1966

And now Norv is gone and we still have Wanny...wonderful. :rolleyes:

Ya that's definitely not the best of situations...but Wanny not calling the offense is an improvement regardless.

I asked on a few boards about 3 weeks ago who called the O plays for Miami...and hands down the answer was Norv....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

how will anybody know what collier is all about until he gets the chance to display his offensive mind? it seems like a lot of you guys think that just b/c he's an rb coach that he has no clue what the forward pass is. let's see how he does before he and the fo are tarred and feathered

I'm not suggesting Collier doesn't know what the passing game is about, what I'm suggesting is Collier is going to be running Norv's offense without Norv's talent for play-calling. That can be a dangerous combination, and has proved to be in the past with Kippy Brown as our OC. He ran basically Norv's offense, but didn't have his talent for play-calling.

Sure, Collier COULD be a diamond in the rough. But for the moment it looks like he was hired in order to keep a level of consistency in the offense among the guys that are still here (Chambers, McMike, etc).

The fact that Collier is a RBs coach is kinda mixed. On the one hand its ridiculous to think he doesn't know the importance of a passing game even as a RBs coach. Trestman himself was a RBs coach for years with I believe Minnesota. But on the other hand, on the hierarchy of importance in offensive coaches, RBs coach is basically at the bottom of the pile. If he's so talented why wasnt he promoted by now to a more important position such as QBs coach or OL coach? To go from RB coach to OC is a big jump IMO. Usually that jump is made from a QB coach or from a WR coach.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I'm not suggesting Collier doesn't know what the passing game is about, what I'm suggesting is Collier is going to be running Norv's offense without Norv's talent for play-calling. That can be a dangerous combination, and has proved to be in the past with Kippy Brown as our OC. He ran basically Norv's offense, but didn't have his talent for play-calling.

Sure, Collier COULD be a diamond in the rough. But for the moment it looks like he was hired in order to keep a level of consistency in the offense among the guys that are still here (Chambers, McMike, etc).

The fact that Collier is a RBs coach is kinda mixed. On the one hand its ridiculous to think he doesn't know the importance of a passing game even as a RBs coach. Trestman himself was a RBs coach for years with I believe Minnesota. But on the other hand, on the hierarchy of importance in offensive coaches, RBs coach is basically at the bottom of the pile. If he's so talented why wasnt he promoted by now to a more important position such as QBs coach or OL coach? To go from RB coach to OC is a big jump IMO. Usually that jump is made from a QB coach or from a WR coach.

To say he'll likey turn out like KB is totally unfair bro. Has any RB coach ever had success as OC? He won't be running Norv's offense. It will be changed, maybe slightly, but it will not remain the same. He, Sullivan and Trestman will get together and formulate it. It can't possibly stay the same.

Check out the pro career of offensive genious Charlie Weis. You will find that it is very similar to that of JOEL COLLIER.

Success is in the details.

How bout you just post Charlie Weis's career. Did he jump from RBs coach to offensive coordinator?

And btw I didn't say Collier will LIKELY turn out like Kippy. I'm pointing out parallels between this move and what happened with Kippy Brown because the parallels are abundant.

Both running a version of Norv's offense, both jumped from RB coach to OC. My main point is that to my knowledge RBs coach was pretty low on the importance hierarchy so why wasn't Collier say, promoted to QB coach when Mike Shula left? I could be wrong about the importance hierarchy though thats why I asked if Weis jumped from RB coach to OC.

I didn't see/hear the announcement. Does anyone know who made the decision for the OC? Was it Dan, Rick, Wanny or Wayne? Or some combo of them? Was Dan at the podium or in the background during the announcement?

Back
Top Bottom