John Clayton: Where Ricky is/Ty Law | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton: Where Ricky is/Ty Law

Man if we can get Ty Law, I like the way our defense is looking. Law if healthy, is just as good as Surtain, if not better. That give us the same corners as last year, with much better Dline and linebackers.

There are too many teams interested in Law to assume he'll sign for the minimum. Someone will jump at offering him a bigger deal.

I think this thing drags out unil very late July/early August. He's not going to accept the minimum now when there's a month or so left somebody to offer up a better deal.

Our biggest competition will be Cleveland. If he can't go full speed in practice until the end of July, he's going to want to go somewhere he already knows the defense so that he can give himself the best opportunity to succeed during what will really be a one year tryout for free agency in 2006. Miami has the state taxes (lack thereof) and hometown thing going in its favor, but the defense in Cleveland is also bound to be EXACTLY what Crennell ran in New England, whereas this defense is pretty similar but not quite exactly the same I would think. Overall, unless there is some acrimony between Crennell and Ty Law, I think he would go to Cleveland if Miami and Cleveland are offering the same deal (one year, veteran's minimum). Miami may have to up its offer to one year, one million bucks.

ckparrothead said:
Our biggest competition will be Cleveland. If he can't go full speed in practice until the end of July, he's going to want to go somewhere he already knows the defense so that he can give himself the best opportunity to succeed during what will really be a one year tryout for free agency in 2006. Miami has the state taxes (lack thereof) and hometown thing going in its favor, but the defense in Cleveland is also bound to be EXACTLY what Crennell ran in New England, whereas this defense is pretty similar but not quite exactly the same I would think. Overall, unless there is some acrimony between Crennell and Ty Law, I think he would go to Cleveland if Miami and Cleveland are offering the same deal (one year, veteran's minimum). Miami may have to up its offer to one year, one million bucks.
See like you said CK... if Cleveland and Miami offer the same deal... it would really benefit him to come to Miami. The lack of state income taxes, plus the benefit of being able to learn the new defense at home, and (to top it off) once he is healthy he will get to play against NE and show them the mistake they made by letting him go.

All that being said... I am not sold on picking him up. I know we need CB help and he is supposedly the best out there, but once over 30 CB's start to drop off rather quickly (minus some exceptions ... Darrell Green) plus coming back from an injury...

Back
Top Bottom