John Fox vs Dave Wannstedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Fox vs Dave Wannstedt

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make this on topic with the Phins here but can we just talk about the job that John Fox has done over in Carolina???

Two years ago they were 1-15!!!!

They had the worst single season losing streak in the HISTORY of the NFL!!!!

Now, they're in the NFC Championship against the Eagles.

Key moves? They've gotten plenty of defensive help in Peppers and that linebacker from UM. Steve Smith panned out as a great WR. They grabbed Stephen Davis and got DeShaun Foster, kept Muhsin Muhammad, and grabbed Jake Delhomme for QB.

I mean I just do not see this guy being given enough credit for a 2 year turnaround that could be the best I've ever seen.

There is no doubt that this guy has out-Wannstedted our own Wanny. He's brought a conservative "smart" passing game, great running game, and great defense to the Panthers, and he's done it with a journeyman first time starter QB.

And you know what? He isn't some fireball head coach with a scowl like Jon Gruden either. You don't need that to win championships. In fact, 3 of the 4 head coaches in the conference championships this year are guys who are as cool as cool can be....Andy Reid, John Fox, and Tony Dungy. In fact, I don't think of Belichick as a "fiery" guy either.

Incidentally a few more Miami comparisons...

Remember Principal DE Al Wallace? He's their starting RDE. Remember Terry Cousin? He's their starting CB. Their starting FS Mike Minter, is a guy Dave Wannstedt attempted to bring in as a free agent once. DT Shane Burton is their backup DT behind Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner. Dan Morgan of course is from UM. Oh and the real kickers, Marco Battaglia is their 3rd TE and their starting RG on that FABULOUS offensive line, is none other than Kevin Donnalley.

I think we could learn a lot about Wannstedt's approach to the game by looking at what the Panthers did over the past couple of seasons.

With the OL, first thing is first, you have to have a great tackle tandem. Todd Steussie is their LT, a pro bowler type who left Minnesota, and Jordan Gross was the #8 pick in the 2003 draft and he is their RT.

They have more than one good RB, Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster and if they make it to the super bowl that will have been KEY.

Much like us they developed key 1st round WR Steve Smith into something special like us with Chambers...and to date they paired him with Muhsin Muhammad.

They built their D from the DL out it looks like...with one of the finest DLs in the league rotation included (Mike Rucker and Shane Burton). Their OLBs are crappy, Greg Favors and Will Witherspoon, but Dan Morgan is great. Their CBs are nobodies, but their safeties are bonafied good safeties (Deon Grant was a first or second round pick and Mike Minter has turned out to be well paid for a safety).

The BIG difference IMO is that though they went with a mediocre type QB to try and win the super bowl, they didn't put all their eggs in one basket with one mediocre QB!!

Over the past two years they've gone through a NUMBER of guys including Chris Weinke, Rodney Peete, Jake Delhomme, and some others. They weren't afraid to go after more mediocre QBs or to yank them from the lineup until they found the RIGHT ONE...Jake Delhomme.

Us on the other hand, we signed Fiedler, and stuck with him. We made attempts to get other mediocre types to see them stacked against each other, but we never were able to pull the trigger on guys like Frerotte, Hasselback, etc. We got Ray Lucas and Brian Griese and neither panned out.

In retrospect our biggest mistake this offseason (aside maybe from drafting Eddie Moore instead of Anquan Boldin), was failing to bid high enough to grab LT Wayne Gandy.

I know getting Gandy might have meant not getting Griese, Junior Seau, or Sammy Knight...but in retrospect having a good tackle tandem would have helped us a lot more I think than those three combined did...and I'm very very very happy with what Seau and Knight added to our D.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Two years ago they were 1-15!!!!

They had the worst single season losing streak in the HISTORY of the NFL!!!!

Now, they're in the NFC Championship against the Eagles.

Key moves? They've gotten plenty of defensive help in Peppers and that linebacker from UM. Steve Smith panned out as a great WR. They grabbed Stephen Davis and got DeShaun Foster, kept Muhsin Muhammad, and grabbed Jake Delhomme for QB.

Carolina has done a great job however they have followed the path that several other teams have followed and one that most every Miami fan fears - they sucked for several seasons, racked up some high picks. They did, however, choose wisely.

As you point out they also played the free agent market well.

I wonder if we would have been better off with our 2 first rounders and Stephen Davis as our RB? Don't get me wrong, I love having Ricky on our team but the trade prevented us from drafting good O-linemen and a complementary WR or young QB to groom.

I live in NC and love the way the Panthers play ball - the way Dave "talks" about playing. This is a good comparison you bring up.

I do think Fox has done a better job than Dave.

But, before you go too far, you also need to realize they had much better draft picks than us for some time, especially the 1-15 season. They were drafting at the top of each round. Even last year they were drafting higher than us.

Also, they had the good fortune of Stephen Davis being released by an idiot coach in DC - whereas we had to trade two 1st round picks for Ricky. How much benefit would those two picks be along with Ricky? TarheelPhinfan makes a great point about that (I just noticed his comment after writing it).

Finally, some of their players you mentioned aren't that great. Terry Cousin still would not be even our nickel back. He is a major weak link and despite horrific play calling by Martz and some poor play by Bulger, the Rams did exploit Cousin continually.

They drafted Julius Peppers and Jordan Gross. Those are two players. They are not the only reason the Panthers are that good.

Good post CK....I noticed the panthers this weekend and thought the same thing....That should be us...

One point about your post, It's kinda ironic that Fox succeeded with the same plan that Wanny was using in Chicago, the plan whose failure, was responsible for Wannstedt so stubbornly sticking with Jay Fiedler.

Thanks Jaj you point out exactly what I was gonna point out. Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers. It is very arguable whether or not Miami's own Jason Taylor and Todd Wade are better than the two of them. I think Taylor at the moment is so much better than Peppers that yeah, together our own guys are better than their top picks.

Then you got a semi-high pick with Dan Morgan, but we've got Zach Thomas. I mean if you go talent for talent there's a lot of guys on the Panthers that we either DID have, could have had, etc. It just looks like John Fox's system works better.

I mean, we could have had a LT in Wayne Gandy who is probably about as good right now as Todd Steussie, if we'd just ante'd up. We could have had Jake Delhomme. We have Chris Chambers who is about as good as Steve Smith...and I guess Muhshin Muhammad, Ricky Proehl, and Kevin Dyson are all better than our guys but still we could have had them cheaply to (except Muhammad).

Even our safeties are better than theirs on paper. Our CBs definitely are. They have Jenkins and Buckner though, Bowens and Chester are no match for that.

Overall I'm just sayin in two years it looks like Fox especially is putting Dave Wannstedt's team to shame for the way his team is producing and the way he has acquired free agents better than us with not necessarily much more to work with. They may have had two high picks in Gross and Peppers, but we had more talent to start with over that two year period.

Remember Principal DE Al Wallace? He's their starting RDE.

Wallace is part of the rotation but he doesn't start. Their starters are Peppers & Rucker. Wallace started two games this year when Rucker was hurt.

The only big difference really is Carolina has great OL with more consistent trio of WR.

Originally posted by minus
The only big difference really is Carolina has great OL with more consistent trio of WR.
I heard Steve Smith from CAR is a RFA. We should make a run at him. The guy is only 25 and talnted. Do we have to give up compensation if the other team doesn't match?

Originally posted by Dolfan954

I heard Steve Smith from CAR is a RFA. We should make a run at him. The guy is only 25 and talnted. Do we have to give up compensation if the other team doesn't match?

If they tender him then yes. The tender could be either a 1st & 3rd, a 1st, or a 3rd, nothing lower because he was drafted in the 3rd round.

The old club has a right of first refusal to all players.If the old club simply has a right of first refusal but is not entitled to any compensation.

In other words if Carolina is attempting to resign him then we have to give up compesation.I'm not sure if I'm 100 % right.Can some one jump in and correct me if I'm wrong?

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Much like us they developed key 1st round WR Steve Smith into something special like us with Chambers...and to date they paired him with Muhsin Muhammad.

Smith was drafted in the thrid round in '01.

They built their D from the DL out it looks like...with one of the finest DLs in the league rotation included (Mike Rucker and Shane Burton). Their OLBs are crappy, Greg Favors and Will Witherspoon, but Dan Morgan is great. Their CBs are nobodies, but their safeties are bonafied good safeties (Deon Grant was a first or second round pick and Mike Minter has turned out to be well paid for a safety).

Witherspoon and Favors have easily outplayed any OLB tandom the Phins have put together the last few years. When Morgan isnt injured, he is decent. Their entire secondary is very average, although Ricky Manning has stepped up at CB. Deon Grant has always been a miserable S in my mind, has the speed but lack the brains.

nice post... the Panthers will be in the same trouble as us (i.e. having lots of money invested in a few players) in a few years if they keep playing like they did this year IMO.

They can afford a Steussie because they do not spend big bucks on their 2ndary like we do; and we have never sucked enough to get a player as good as Gross

Originally posted by minus

Whoa! Delhomme is much better in the clutch than Fiedler. The QB situation is a lot better b/c Delhomme, while not a great QB, has a nack for staying within himself. He has beem much better this year than Fiedler EVER has (and I've been in favor of giving Fiedler the benefit of the doubt until the end of this season).

I also think their DL is a bit tougher up front than ours is. They are about equal, but in a rough and tumble war, they have the size/strength to hold up better than ours does.

But, those factors all amount to the difference in being competitive against anyone in any game verses 10-6 and really unable to compete in the most critical contests. It may not seem like much to you (even if you think it's only those two areas), but that makes a difference and whether our OL and WR corps (and QB sit) will improve is a HUGE "if."

Back
Top Bottom