JP Losman is not the answer | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JP Losman is not the answer

Sage wasn't overly impressive. He did have 5 TDs to 1 INT, but he completed around 55% of his passes and his rating was around 85. That's not impressive considering that Sage was playing against 3rd string guys a lot of the time. His preseason was nothing like Matt Hasselbeck's preseasons that propelled him to his starting job.

Re: Re: Re: JP Losman is not the answer

Originally posted by minus

He makes so many bone head in'ts in college even when he has protection that just clear sign for me to stay away.

"Heading into the 2003 season, Losman carried with him the lowest interception per attempt percentage in school history. "

i dont have his stats from last season, but i'm guessing that with that being the case he probably doesnt throw "So many bonehead int's"

again, im not saying hes the answer, i just dont like when people say he and rivers are definitely not the answer, everyone acts as if the only good nfl players came in the top 5 picks and had perfect mechanics and everyone knew they were going to be great, that's not the case, let's take a chance on finding a franchise qb.

Losman had 33 TDs to 14 INTs last season.

He also showed a lot of ability in the 4th quarter. He brought his team from behind against TCU and almost won that game in the end. Against Mississippi State, Tulane was down 28-14 going into the 4th quarter and won the game 31-28.

He's got a lot of Brett Favre type qualities to him. I'm not comparing him to Favre, but the arm strength and ability to improvise is similar. Plus, they both have tremendous confidence in their own abilities.

I think if Wolf comes on as a consultant, a guy like JP Losman is the reason Miami wants him. They want him to evaluate quarterbacks, and the similarities between Losman and a young Favre will stand out when Wolf looks at this kid.

It's really beginning to look like the QB position will finally be addressed the way it has needed to be addressed. Miami not only will go after a free agent like Brunell, but they may take a guy like Losman high in the draft.

wolf has strong connections with brunell as well since he was responsible for drafting him. i definitely want wolf to stay on as a consultant.

Originally posted by SMadison29

I agree with you there about Rivers. The arm strength is a killer & couple with his mechanic & footwork problems he has I'm a 3rd rounder at best written all over him.

I meant Lospman.

I believe Rivers will be a great NFL QB..

Re: Re: Re: Re: JP Losman is not the answer

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0

"Heading into the 2003 season, Losman carried with him the lowest interception per attempt percentage in school history. "

i dont have his stats from last season, but i'm guessing that with that being the case he probably doesnt throw "So many bonehead int's"

again, im not saying hes the answer, i just dont like when people say he and rivers are definitely not the answer, everyone acts as if the only good nfl players came in the top 5 picks and had perfect mechanics and everyone knew they were going to be great, that's not the case, let's take a chance on finding a franchise qb.

I saw a couple of games this year where he wqas trying to force things when his team still had a chance to win.

hes young, i hope hes trying to force things, you thinks montana, favre, marino, etc... learned about some of the ridiculous throws they could make by sitting back and making the safe throw everytime, i want someone for our future with an arm whos ****y and willing to take a chance and do what it takes to get to the next level. im not saying it wont cost us a game or two in the future, but it will be better in the end, and i dont want him starting next season anyway.

hes young, i hope hes trying to force things, you thinks montana, favre, marino, etc... learned about some of the ridiculous throws they could make by sitting back and making the safe throw everytime, i want someone for our future with an arm whos ****y and willing to take a chance and do what it takes to get to the next level. im not saying it wont cost us a game or two in the future, but it will be better in the end, and i dont want him starting next season anyway.

Those INT were lieterally Bonehead.He wasn't reading the coverage which leads mean ot believe that he will have hard time reading coverage but I'm also jumping to conclusion since I saw him play twice this year.I just wasn't impress with him other than his physical attributes (He does have a canon) while other hand Rivers has attitude and AWERNESS to play in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want sage because he looked good in preseason against teams 3rd and 4th string players, and he made throws in one game against backups who hadnt prepared for him and were blowing us out...
ugh

ray lucas looked good in preseason too, let's bring him back

Here goes the Ray Lucas comparisons again.:rolleyes:

Sage played against the starters in Tenn., the Titans defense was looking for the shut out and Fisher left them in to get it.

Come on DW wasn't going to take the risk of putting Sage in any games and risk losing the season, he's too conservitive to do that. IMO he should have put Sage in alot earlier at Tenn. to get a better idea of how he will perform. Hind sight, if we would've got blown out more we probably would have a better idea of Sage's abilities. The Fins were in almost every game until the end so he never got a shot.

Sage knows the system, he has talent and he has some experiance. Why not find out what he can do?
Sign Brunell keep Sage and draft a rookie.

I dont know sqaut about Losman, Rivers, Rothlesbergermeister, or manning, but i did see matt schaub against Virgina Tech and i think this kid could be the next Tom Brady (lower draft pick yet overachiever).

The thing with busted first round quarterbacks is for the most part the reason they didn't succeed in the pros was predicted before they were drafted...it just wasn't heeded.

I mean even look at Peyton Manning. People questioned his ability to win "the big game" because he never beat UF. He still hasn't really won "the big game" and people have for the most part forgotten that he got that reputation in college. His NFL record deserves the rep tho until he proves us wrong.

Meanwhile you've got Ryan Leaf, who had a rep coming out of college for being very immature. In the NFL he was destroyed because of that and not being able to read NFL defenses.

Drew Brees, HUGE knock on him for his size and armstrength, and he's yet to overcome those obstacles.

Jim Druckenmiller, too dumb to grasp an NFL offense and understand what defenses are throwing at him prior to the snap.

Heath Shuler, noodle arm.

Gino Toretta??? Dude he wasn't even drafted very high at all.

All these guys have weaknesses I guess, the key is figuring out which guys' weaknesses you can ignore and which you can't. Rivers it seems like has everything going for him except the ability to gain yardage running, that whacky side-arm throw of his, and armstrength. But those can be BIG in the NFL, or they could not be big. One thing you know about him is that things in the NFL are not going to be easy. He doesn't have the ability to be a scrambling threat (and you say, thats not necessary, and you're right, but its awefully nice to have in the arsenal), he can't paint the entire field with a cannon arm (and you say, thats not necessary, and you're right, but its awefully nice to have in the arsenal), and there is the possibility that his side-arm action will get passes batted down. Will coaches leave that alone or try to change it? I personally think they should leave it alone. His extremely quick release and superb height SHOULD IMO counter-act the low release point...so I don't think that will be too much of a factor. But after that with his lack of armstrength and mobility you gotta understand that the kid has to be better at reading defenses and picking his throws than a Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, or even Brett Favre...in order to make it.

Losman worries me because there's underlying attitude issues that are controversial...some think they exist and others do not. Reminds me of Cade McNown. He also takes a lot of sacks, and you don't want that to become a habit in the NFL because sacks are drive killers especially in Norv's offense. He's taken so many hits, and his size is not that great despite what some have said, so how many more hits can he take? His foot mechanics are bad. Can he learn good foot mechanics and maintain concentration on the field? His OL may have been bad in college but that only shows what he will do in the face of an NFL passrush because in the NFL things move a lot faster....and that is one of the chief obstacles to a good college QB becoming a good pro. So I would say Losman has that going for him, you can probably project his pro success from his college success a little better.

But his team did not win very often, if I'm not mistaken...and I wonder overall how efficient he made that offense.

Rivers and Losman

I agree with you ckparrothead that was some very good points. I am still going to stay with Rivers. He is the perfect size and skill to play the qb position. I would not mess with his mechanics to much they did not mess with Favre's or Marino's. They did not have that many passes batted down. No more than anyone else. But Rivers is not Marino YET na I would never rank him that high. No matter where Rivers ends up I hope for all the success he can get he will make a good qb I just hope it is for us. On another subject I hope if any records of Marino's are broken I hope they are playing for Miami.

Marino had some SLIGHT criticism that he was a pusher (pushed the ball didnt throw it) but otherwise I don't remember any big questions about his or Favre's mechanics.

Rivers has a downright Rich Gannon side-arm supposedly. Thats much too severe to be comparing with Favre or Marino.

the only worry i have with rivers is if his motion will cause his passes to be deflected since the release point would be low...but i expect our new gm and scouts to be able to determine that by the time the draft comes around.

Gannon was a backup for most of his career but when he got a chance to prove himself he did not have a problem with his side-arm throw it helped him sometimes. Last years MVP. different situation I guess more time to learn I guess.

Back
Top Bottom