Judgement Calls | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Judgement Calls

Is 126's Comment Inappropriate?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
OK... allow me to set something straight, as I know you haven't been here very long.

The comment was out of line, rude, and not in good taste. That was a judgement call based on the fact that there have been issues (probably before you registered here and are not aware of) with this member before.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to take on this crusade, it seems to me that there is little or no interest (based on the fact that out of 3777 members, only a handful have voted in your poll) by anyone but you.

as for your "if making reference to flatulence is against the rules show me where" demand... I'll say this. The TOS is open for interpretation. If the Staff deems something offensive, we make the call. Perhaps you didn't find it so, but a Staff member did. Again, a simple warning or edit would have sufficed in normal circumstances, but the moderator who handled this was aware of other past transgressions by this user, and acted accordingly.

Hope this clears things up somewhat, and if you have any concerns about a staff members interaction with you personally, please feel free to let me know. If section126 wishes to talk to any of us about this matter, that's his perogative.

Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware of any past violations that 126 has made. How many people actually view the complaints section anyways? Not to mention people do not wish to debate a moot point because of the hasty action to move the thread. Thereby not letting others view it and decide. I know it doesn't belong on the main forum but if you wish for the Democratic solution to take full affect you have to let everyone view it and with it being here there's no way that many people are going to see it. I was a viewer of this site for about a month before I joined and for the most part you guys do a decent job for the amount of people on the staff. But when a moderator is on the site I expect most of the people (Democracy) to agree with their decision. If we are to respect those that are moderating this site we should at least agree they make correct decisions and don't take away anything from this great site (humor). The reason this site continues to grow is because of the intellegent posters that roam this board make up a good majority of the people here and there's lots to be discussed in threads started by great posters. I respect most everyone's opinion in here and wish the mods could earn my respect. Don't think I'm trying to rebel against the administration either, because I respect AJ and Boomer. Maybe you could allow me to write something on humor 101 and it's place on this board to help the mods understand the concept. This is the only complaint I have with this site, the graphics coordinator does a great job here, analysis is thorough, and articles are up to date. I just wish we can distinguish what is acceptable (humor) by futher defining the TOS so that the rules are not so open to interpretation.

All right, -- just let me make sure I've got this straight:

You're the guy who just spent 48 hours whining that someone whose responsibility it is to maintain civility in the main forum would object to a member stating a desire to blast flatulence in another member's face... and you're letting us all know who has your respect and who doesn't?

And I don't have your respect?

My God, -- I am wounded. Somebody please help me deal with this crisis. What shall I do???

Please... tell us more about respect. Please?

I'm not whining, I'm trying to make this a fair environment for everyone involved. I'm not concerned with just his actions, I'm concerned about how the members see your course of action. Plus, I never said 126 had my respect because quite honestly I don't know him one bit. Lets get one thing straight, I'm defending posters who want to be humorous not 126. There's something to be said for those that don't know what a joke is, see AJ's TOS about most of the time that posters are just trying to be humorous and not trying to attack you. Take for instance your post "My God, -- I am wounded. Somebody please help me deal with this crisis. What shall I do???" This is clearly sarcasm and I take no offence to it. However, if I were I a mod, I could see that a personal attack towards me for not giving you respect. I guess I just missed the humor in it? See my point?

caneproud117 said:
Sorry I left out Muck too. I respect him too.

Thanks man. :)

But I do have a few questions/comments.....

I know that the results of the poll were skewed mainly because of 2 Mods voting in the poll (backing eachother),

I think Staff should be able to vote in polls. After all, we're posters just like everyone else. I don't remember if I voted in this poll or not, but I know that my vote would have been determined with my head and not just to back a Staff member. Otherwise I wouldn't vote at all. I don't think any of us could vote for something we didn't believe in. Just doesn't work. :)

My initial reaction was that the post was gross and misplaced. And this was first I saw of it. I knew nothing about who did what or action taken (as I had just logged on and everything went down long before I got on). But it's in the past now.

Maybe you could allow me to write something on humor 101 and it's place on this board to help the mods understand the concept.

I don't know if you meant this to be condescending or not, but it does come off that way.

Hey Muck, a couple of things: First, I've seen a couple of mods say that "I back what other mods do 100% of the time." The context of the thread was all a joke, really there was not one thing in that thread worth debating. It was meant to get a few chuckles. Second: Maybe we could move threads that are just trying to be funny to a separate board? So no one takes offence to the thread and it's not interepted that way. Thirdly, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just wanted to see this handled a different way when it comes to threads that are just meant to be humorous. Sorry about that quote on the humor 101, I was trying to make a point, but chose my words horidly.

caneproud117 said:
Hey Muck, a couple of things: First, I've seen a couple of mods say that "I back what other mods do 100% of the time." The context of the thread was all a joke, really there was not one thing in that thread worth debating. It was meant to get a few chuckles. Second: Maybe we could move threads that are just trying to be funny to a separate board? So no one takes offence to the thread and it's not interepted that way. Thirdly, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just wanted to see this handled a different way when it comes to threads that are just meant to be humorous. Sorry about that quote on the humor 101, I was trying to make a point, but chose my words horidly.

Actually, it was me who said I back the mods... I'm an Admin... and I meant it. So, let me get something straight here.

You've been a member for a month, and "lurked" here for a whole month before that?

Sorry, but that makes you relatively new here.
I started out as a member also (over 2 years ago), became a Moderator, then last spring, when one of the two founders "retired", AJ made me an Admin. I was able to accomplish that by earning the respect of the Staff, and the members over a long period of time.
Not trying to blow my own horn here, just wanted to draw a comparison between that, and your two months, since you seem to think that you've earned the respect of anyone here in that time. It seems that for some reason, you believe that you can speak for the other 3700 members on this board. Again, I wonder why you feel it necessary to take on this "righteous" crusade to defend the rights of everyone here.
As far as this being a "Democracy".... sorry, but we're not elected officials. We're appointed... and volunteers... and we've run this site quite well over the past several years. We're well aware of why, and how this site came to be what it is today... we were here to witness it, nurture it, and help it grow. So forgive us if we don't jump up to change the way we've done things here for years, based solely on the desires of one person, who has been here a very short time.

This is the complaints and suggestions forum and I've offered some suggestions as to what can be done so that a humorous thread is not blown out of proportion. Now, by all accounts I've been here for 3 months and that is relatively new, but I expect you guys to take what any member here has to say in this forum seriously and talk amounst yourselves. I do not speak for everyone here as you can see by my poll only half that voted agree with me. This really isn't a big deal, but I felt it needed to be addressed so that further issues that dealt with the same thing could be dealt with in a better and more timely fashion.

-Matthew :)

caneproud117 said:
This is the complaints and suggestions forum and I've offered some suggestions as to what can be done so that a humorous thread is not blown out of proportion. Now, by all accounts I've been here for 3 months and that is relatively new, but I expect you guys to take what any member here has to say in this forum seriously and talk amounst yourselves. I do not speak for everyone here as you can see by my poll only half that voted agree with me. This really isn't a big deal, but I felt it needed to be addressed so that further issues that dealt with the same thing could be dealt with in a better and more timely fashion.

-Matthew :)

Suggestion noted. We'll discuss it amongst ourselves, and reserve the right to not make our decision public.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom