Just Got Back From 4 Days Of Camp....... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just Got Back From 4 Days Of Camp.......

Phins13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
:cool: Just got back home to N.Y last night after seeing 5 different practices and just wanted to give a few observations about what I saw and a few of my opinions. Anyone who thinks that O.G is going to make this team has not seen this current group of rec. run and catch and practice. D.Thompson ias such a big and athletic rec. that he is more impressive then I imagined. More gifted than O.G in the speed(for sure) department and surely more acrobatic on going up and catch the ball........An absolute upgrade over Orande. Chambers looks better than ever catching everything and running faster without any problems(hamstrings)...........My biggest suprise was seeing how talented Tolver and Simmons were in every practice. Tolver seems to find holes between defenders and is very polished at every thing he does on the field. Simmons seems to find every hole in the middle of the field(O.J. McDuffie) and is going to compete for some return duties. My brother and I were trying to figure where O.G would fit in............He does not!!!!!!! Sorry guys But it is just a fact. We have a L.B on our team who spend more time in the offensive backfield than some of our R.B's. This guy disrupted every play I watched..... I kept rubbing my eyes because I have watched our L.B's for the last 30 years and never seen this kind of force coming and rushing from every angle... #55 (I think his name is Seau) This HOF is going to be better than we all imagined. I was 10 feet away from him and you could not imagine what a physical specimen he is...........Playmaker and leader all rolled in one. Griese impressed me more everytime I saw him. He seems to pick things up the more practice he gets.. Throws the deep outs and long ball better than any back-up Q.B we have had in a long time. Notice I said back-up........Although I had hoped He would compete for the starting job it is CLEARLY jay's job !!!! Jay's confidence in this offense is amazing and he knows where the ball should go everytime..........By mid-season, Griese should be able to step in if Jay gets hurt(god forbid) or if he struggles and this team should not miss a beat. Unlike last year where we had to scale down everything just to make it simple.........Sage is absolutely the third string Q.B ONCE AGAIN SAGE IS THE THIRD STRING Q.B!!!!!!! NO DEBATE HERE!!!!!!!!!! Other guys who impressed me were Sammy Knight(made a one handed pick in tight coverage) that I have not seen a dolphin defender make in years. Charlie Rogers has speed to burn on kick-offs and I am sure will make a huge play for us this year...... My only concern that I saw was our Left Tackle pos. Wade Smith looks like he will be a player for us when he gets a little bigger because he is very quick and athletic............but in the 5 practices I saw Jason Taylor either ran by him or over him(pushed Smith back into Jay numerous times) It is no fun when your Q.B has no time to even look for a rec.!!!!!! I just have to figure out whether this is more a testimony to J.T's greatness or lack of ability right now of Wade Smith.. Still very early in the pre-season but I was very happy overall from what I saw at camp... Sorry for the novel but I tried to remember all the highlights :eek:

This is good stuff to read... I especially like to hear about Jay's progress and success...

Being that I think most people's concern right now is the left side of the O-Line, did you happen see Wade go up against anyone OTHER than Taylor? And if so, how did he fare...?

Other guys who impressed me were Sammy Knight(made a one handed pick in tight coverage) that I have not seen a dolphin defender make in years.
So are you saying it was nicer than the Surtain pic on Rich Gannon that sealed last years Raiders game? The one that is forever immortalized in my avatar(at least until I change it ;) )...?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Wade Smith struggling has anything to do with skill, but has to do with the fact that he is going up against Jason Taylor. He is a rookie going up against the best DE in football, I would expect him to struggle.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I don't think Wade Smith struggling has anything to do with skill, but has to do with the fact that he is going up against Jason Taylor. He is a rookie going up against the best DE in football, I would expect him to struggle.

Tony Wise says he doesn't have full NFL strength yet, he has everything else, he just needs to be bigger and stronger...

They need to be feeding this Kid steak and potatoes 24/7...
Give him a Weight Gain IV... He should only have 3 places to go at that training facility, the field, the weightroom, and the caffeteria.... Thats it.. No he can't go to the bathroom, he needs the bulk dammit!

Originally posted by Phins13
My brother and I were trying to figure where O.G would fit in............He does not

e.........Sage is absolutely the third string Q.B ONCE AGAIN SAGE IS THE THIRD STRING Q.B!!!!!!! NO DEBATE HERE[/QUOTE}

Great posts but here are my comments

I agree about OG not fitting in to this offense! Recieving corps has changed alot in the last couple of years first. They are getting smaller and Quicker. And With DT being the Big, Great Hands threat that we need,OG will definately not be on our Opening day Roster(Barring no more injuries,"Please no more inuries")

On griese I will have to disagree. I have been to about 10 Practices and have not been impressed at all. He may have had one good practice, but overall he has been sloppy and inconsistent. FIne blame it on having to learn the new system. But there are certain plays that every team runs, sort of there bread and butter so to speak, and griese cant even get these plays to look good. Even in Warm ups when your just running pass drills he definately does not look sharp.

Sage on the other hand has looked great. He does know this offense,feels confident and makes sharp crisp passes. Some people try to say that he is playing against inferior defenses as a 3 rd stringer, but if you have been to practice there are times in scimmages when he has been left there against the starters for a couple of plays before fiedler returns to scrimmage where he continued making plays and commanding the offense.

Sage deserves to be the 2nd string qb on this team, I honestly see him as our future to this team than the Griese Kid.

But because of politics and the Bigger Salary he is still our backup!

Some of these things I wrote were opinions..... But I think Griese improved with every practice Another person who impressed me was Donald Lee!!! Known for his blocking he has shown a great pair of hands and looks like he has over taken Marco as 2nd T.E.... Sorry But Brian ,with his contract. is written in stone as back-up Q.B....Just a fact! Zgonina also was all over the field and his no-nonsense approach rubs off on his teammates. There is a definate positive attitude I can feel in all the practices I attended.....Seems last years collapse is behind them but not so far behind that they cannot remember! To all Orande loyalists (I used to be included in that group) all it takes is to see D. Thompson catch a few passes and soon everybody will be on D.T's bandwagon!

By the way, My comments on Griese refected my opinion yhat by Mid-season he should have a command of this offense not by the first or second week of training camp..........Chubby I do agree that Sage has performed well and looks good but I think his time will come next year when we have to decide keeping Jay or Brian and he will compete with them. Off the topic........ While out in a IHOP with my brother and our families in Davie. who happened to sit down next to us but Bernie Kosar and his family.....never know who you will run into over pancakes!!!!!!

TO answer 13isgr81, For the most part Wade Smith had his reps against the first team and that usually meant J.T. But when Jason flipped sides Wade seemed to handle(not give up any sacks) Wally O.K. I think Wade is going to be an excellent L.T but I wonder if we are asking to much of a rookie when we seemed to be ready to make a run at a title

Hey Phins13, sorry, i wasnt trying to rip you. And I do appreciate every bit of info from camp. But I truly do beleive that Griese will not be ready midseason if needed(granted he is an upgrade from Lucas) but this kid Sage is the Real Deal, I have been praising him since we got him last game of preseason last year I really like this kid. And mark my words by 2006 he will be our starter.

I am the brother of Phins13...and I spent the last 4 days at practice with him. I love just sitting back and taking it all in as we sit next to eachother and blurt out our observations...we tend to agree on alot of things but some things we don't...here go my observations...
I have to agree that at this point barring any injuries..OG has no spot...Derrius Thompson was very impressive(a younger more athletic OG) Chambers seemes primed for a big year...he made some great adjustments on some balls thrown his way...and they seem to put him in the slot so much more...getting him matched up on a LB and a nickel back..Mcknight semmed to catch most everything thrown his way..and he had a very good year last year...I was totally impressed with Tolver and Simmons. Tolver seems to be a very accomplished reciever in his routes and cuts...and he has greaat hands...Simmons(who I believe never had a chance to make this team...way off my radar) is a small quick slot guy who gets open and can really move. We are not going with more than 5 wrs...so just don't see OG fitting in...loved him for all he has done...but his time is over
I also have to agree that Seau is all over the place...first thing I saw when I walked into camp was this Tan monster of muscle and man was he huge...for those who haven't been to camp...they are using him like they have never used a LB before...he lines up in the down position to rush the passer...he shoots the gapson the line of scrimmage on almost every other play...and he was in the backfield more times than I can remember...his forte is going forward...and I think the coaches know that...he loves timing the snap...and he is so quick with his first step and so strong...tough for the OL to adjust...As for Griese...he is def the backup...Jay has totally command of this offense...not even close...Jay knows all the progressions...and gets rid of the ball quick...Griese...who can just feel him thinking...but that is to be expected...with more reps and play...Griese will only get better..but he is a HUGE upgrade..HUGE of Lucas in the backup role...he has a presence and he looks very comfortable...Sage is interesting...but not in the picture..plain and simple
I am going to end this long report(sorry so long) with some very quick thoughts...T-Buck will be a huge asset to this secondary....he lokks like he is having fun and he is a playmaker...Sammy Knight will have you jumping out of your chair with his hitting and ball hawking ways...he made a pick in a drill that you wouldn't have believed...OLT concerns me..I love Dixon..he is a warrior..but man he gets hurt...and Wade Smith will be our future...but JT had his way with him all day...but you can see how athletic Wade Smith is...the rest of the line looks good...even Ruddy!...lol..Donald Lee is a player...great hands...will be our #2 TE...thank God they signed a long snapper..Zgonia had me pilling my hair out...all over the place with his snaps...this guy they just signed was perfect with everything..back to Zgonia...he is a great addition to this team...hard nosed...strong and makes his presence known...in on almost every running play...he might be out best kept secret....have to catch my breath...will think of some more stuff when I think about all I saw

Good news about seau everyone keeps doubting him but wait till the season starts i bet all of those doubters will be all on his side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

yeah dont you think that the coaches want to throw the best at Smith so they can video and study from it? That would be my assumption. of course JT is going to blow right past him and make plays. The repetition is good for you. you are seeing the fastest, quickest DE in the league! that is healthy. Tommorrow will be interesting with him against Douglas. I pray to god no injuriy to this man!

Great reports guys! I cant wait to see the real defense against Houston! in fact i hope we play vanilla all preseason and surprise the crap out of everyone!

Here is what i see happening scheme wise. Attacking with seau is the new way and with zach covering along with sammy knight back there, this Defense will rule! Now we have JT and Ogun coming from the sides, Seau up the gut with two big DT's stuffing the run, and sammy knight watching the QB's eyes. The pressure that comes from everyone on the passrush (zgonina should be huge getting to the QB),will make our pass coverage the best. The absolute #1 problem our defense had on the road was just lining up and have them beat our talent. No more of that do i see. Seau is the difference cus of his blitzing prowess. It forces Bates to change the sceme. no more sitting around waiting for it to happen. we will dictate to them to change and not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom